What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Just googled them myself, I can't see any advantage over doing strict bent over rows in the regular style. What is the point in letting it touch the floor so all tension is removed ?
    Rev just commented at the same time as you did. Scroll up and see what he says.

Either way, I caught myself "cheating" a bit last week. Made note of it in my notebook and will redo that weight this week. (walks away with head down, deeply ashamed) ;-) Seriously...

Comment

• To me anytime momentum is used in an exercise you are taking tension off the working muscles, this is the exact opposite of what you should be striving to do. Only time I'd recommend setting the bar down would be when doing rest/pause reps using near maximum weights and even then it would only be set down between each cluster set.

Comment

To me anytime momentum is used in an exercise you are taking tension off the working muscles, this is the exact opposite of what you should be striving to do. Only time I'd recommend setting the bar down would be when doing rest/pause reps using near maximum weights and even then it would only be set down between each cluster set.
        The idea behind this is that you're not using momentum if doing it correctly, you'll still be keeping the muscles under tension but using them for a very powerful contraction. You'll eventually reach a sticking point by using your arms to generate momentum that you simply can't pass through sheer brute force - turning your elbows out to better engage your back, focusing on driving up with them (just like on a dumbbell row) and really engaging your back muscles is the only way to eventually move the fucker off the floor with strict form.

I get what you're saying about time under tension and hypertrophy... but explosive force is also damn useful and I've definitely gotten both bigger and stronger in the back doing Pendlays.

Comment

• Pretty nice day in the gym. Especially considering the fact that I strained/pulled an intercostal muscle at Jiu Jitsu yesterday and loading/unloading the bar was awkward and uncomfortable.

Squat:
          305 x 5
          325 x 5
          345 x 6 (Gotta be some kind of PR)

Bench (needed lift-offs on every set due to the rib):
          195 x 5
          205 x 5
          220 x 5 (f) (ties a PR, but so much more solid this time, so calling it a PR anyway)
          195 x 9

Deadlift:
          435 x 5 (PR)

Some grip and wrist roller stuff just for gigs and shizzles. Still can barely DOH 315 on the deads.

Back up to 160.5 after a little re-feed yesterday. Probably 3 of that is junk water weight. I plan to be down to 155 by middle of next week, then just holding pattern thru right before the meet.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I was feeling very warm prior to going to the gym, so afraid the fever was back. But I felt fine apart from the warmth so decided to go. Did fine.

Squats: 5x4 @ 80kg (70% of training max)
            Half one arm pushups (placed a ball beneath me to guide where to reverse the movement. Two sets of 5 of those.
            Deadlifts: 15 singles at 107.5kg with 30 second pause. A few of the breaks got up to around 45, but kept most at around 30s.
            Finished with two sets of the abwheel and two sets of calf raises.

Comment

• I had 3hrs of bjj last night.
              Have my 1st comp coming up in May and found out last night we're having our 1st gradings in 2 weeks, so will be getting as much time on the mat as possible over the next couple of months.
              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• didn't feel good before the workout. but then I saw a guy deadlifting and I knew what I had to do.

back, biceps

bodyweight in the gym with cloths
                <82 kg

sumo deadlifts
                100 x 1
                110 x 1
                120 x 1
                130 x 1
                140 x 1
                150 x 1 (PR)
                110 x 2, x 2, x 2, x 2

chinups
                +10 kg x 4
                +5 kg x 4, x 3

close grip cable rows
                70 kg x 10, x 8, x 7

reverse grip pulldowns
                70 kg x 8, x 7, x 6

barbell curls
                35 kg x 8, x 7, x 6

seated alternating dumbbel curls
                12,5 x 8, x 7

Last edited by fromthehillz; 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• Tabata class 40 minutes of intense stuff. Just cause.

Comment

• Got 6 reps @ 335 lbs on my stiff legged/Romanian deadlifts today. Rest of Leg/Shoulder session went okay.

Comment

Got 6 reps @ 335 lbs on my stiff legged/Romanian deadlifts today. Rest of Leg/Shoulder session went okay.
                      That.is.insane!! I'm hoping to hit that soon on my regular deadlifts! You.are.strong!!!

Comment

• That he is, especially given he's been doing RDLs for what, 4-5 weeks now? And only once every 7-10 days IIRC. Freaky speed of adjustment and a cool result

Fun day.

Front Squats:

Tried again for the first time in forever. My tricep and wrist flexibility still sucks, so I had to cross my forarms over instead of racking the weight Olympic still. Should have brought some straps, but I didn't think.

Worked up from 40 kg too 100 kg (220 lb) in sets of 5 then cut it off. Got a little lower than I do low bar, but nothing like ass to grass Oly style.

OHP/Klokov Press superset

55 kg (120 lb) 3x5 OHP, 2x5 Klokov

Was too gassed to finish my Klokovs.

Deadlift complex:

5 standard, 5 Jefferson, 5 RDL

70 kg 5 of each, both sides Jefferson
                        110 kg 5 of each, right forward Jefferson
                        140 kg (308 lb) 5 of each, left forward Jefferson

160 kg (352 lb) Got 4 regulation in then I was fucked. Called it a night.

I ran out of magnesium supps on the weekend and kept forgetting to get more. Swung by the chemist on the way home. Hopefully it helps da recovery.

Comment

• Did a run today. First time in 1 weeks, because of being sick. I ran better today than last time, so I guess it's no worries.
                          Still doing the Couch to 5K, so there's plenty of room for improvement. I think my 'cardio' is good enough to do more, but I've tried going too far too fast before and end up with hurting my legs. So ramping it up slowly seems wise.

Comment

• I just watching this vid on deadlift and I'm pumped to go do some now! But, not till tomorrow. Me needs a rest day today. Lots of energy, but also lots of sore muscles.

Comment

• Originally posted by fromthehillz View Post
                              didn't feel good before the workout. but then I saw a guy deadlifting and I knew what I had to do.

back, biceps

bodyweight in the gym with cloths
                              <82 kg

sumo deadlifts
                              100 x 1
                              110 x 1
                              120 x 1
                              130 x 1
                              140 x 1
                              150 x 1 (PR)
                              110 x 2, x 2, x 2, x 2

chinups
                              +10 kg x 4
                              +5 kg x 4, x 3

close grip cable rows
                              70 kg x 10, x 8, x 7

reverse grip pulldowns
                              70 kg x 8, x 7, x 6

barbell curls
                              35 kg x 8, x 7, x 6

seated alternating dumbbel curls
                              12,5 x 8, x 7

Do you find you struggle with chin-ups after deadlifting?

Comment

• Originally posted by Canuck_Cam View Post
                                Do you find you struggle with chin-ups after deadlifting?
                                I know you didn't ask me, but I've done a lot of chin-ups on deadlift day, so I'll offer my opinion anyway :

Not really. I find the overhead press is very tough after deadlifting, but chin-ups don't seem to mind.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X