No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While I don't knock it, I have personally tried it.

It's not always compatible with asymmetric circumstances.

Here's the difference I think is most valuable between SS/HIT stuff and a programmed schedule (like 5/3/1).

5/3/1 (and it's ilk) allow for "game day" improvisation regarding intensity. By design it makes the bare minimum program very do-able, and allows for discretion regarding just HOW much you want to kill yourself with assistance exercises (if anything).

If I'm the least bit compromised, the answer from the HIT zealots is "More days off! Never be afraid of more days off!"

But if you got screwy circumstances, say the respective schedules of multiple kids, then one day off turns into: "Fuck...kid has swim class the next day." Then the day after it's: "Oh, fuck...the other kid is home sick." Then the next day is: "Fuck...wife has to attend some random person's funeral."

And so on.

So I would rather complete a simple program where there is, in fact, a point to completing the workout, but you are not burdened with this "all or nothing destroy yourself" mentality at all times.

Whereas, if you have a program...there is still a point to completing the bare minimum without throwing your metabolism in the woodchipper with a full body super-intense workout.

Comment

• Chinups
      225(BW+10)x5x3

Squat
      330x5
      295x5
      255x5

Dips
      260(BW+45) x 3-2-3

Prowler
      90 lb x 40 yd x 1

Here's my contribution to dips for the week.
      In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Originally posted by brittney_bodine View Post
        Whereas, if you have a program...there is still a point to completing the bare minimum without throwing your metabolism in the woodchipper with a full body super-intense workout.
        Ayup. Sums up my preference for Stronglifts perfectly.

First failure on a squat for me in... well, fuck, forever last night. As of next week I'm back to 5x5 starting at 70% of my 1RMs. Being on a keto cut and working at your upper limits.. yeah nah. Not happenin. On the upside, it will make writing down my workouts so much freakin easier.

Squats:

92.5 kg x 5
        115 kg x 5
        140 kg (308 lb) x 5
        160 kg (352 lb) x 5
        187.5 kg (412.5) x 2 (failure driving up on 3rd rep)
        140 kg (308 lb) x 8

For the heavies, I lost my tempo and ended up with a bit of squat morning/grinding through on the second rep. I nearly had the third. Once I hit the sticking point, my momentum just died and that was it... tried muscling through it, but no luck. I leaned forward, took a knee and let the rails do their thing without quite faceplanting. Graceful, it was not, but I didn't gank myself at least. Those final 8 reps were torture. I was all kinds of fucked up as I started my bench work.

Bench:

55 kg x 5
        67.5 kg x 5
        80 kg (176 lb) x 5
        95 kg (209 lb) x 5
        110 kg (242 lb) x 2
        80 kg (176 lb) x 8

Didn't even attempt the third on the heavy set. After trembling and wobbling my way through the top of the second rep I knew it just wasn't gonna happen. The final drop killed me again.

Pendlay Row:

60 kg x 10
        80 kg (176 lb) x 5
        90 kg (198 lb) x 5
        105 kg (231 lb)x 3
        80 kg (176 lb) x 8

Rushed through these because the gym was near closing time.

Finished with some slow rep high angle cable curls, cable tricep pulldowns and cable rear delt flies. They drained off what little I had left in the tank.

Weight maintaining at 103 kg (226 lb). Hoping to see that divebomb as I continue this cut.

Comment

• I don't know how you guys do all that you do in your long laundry lists! Today's workout wore me out. ;-) Working towards the USPA California State Championship - think I'll do full power for my first go. Anyway...

Squat: 185lbs, 205lbs/3T
          175lbs/5x2, 155lbs/10

OHPP: 80lbs/10x3

Some accessory ab work

Comment

• The volume isn't that much higher than what you're doing, really. This is nothing for me right now. I used to do 7-8 "must do" programmed lifts a night with most supersetted on a 3-4 day split. The intensity is way higher on my core routine now, but the lower volume is so much freaking better.

Comment

• Ok, I'm only writing this out so I can talk about my bonus accessory work.

Squat: 1x5 @ 275
              Bench: 1x5 @ 250
              Power Clean: 5x3 @ 170

Had a little in the tank, so decided to contribute to the dip theme this week. Did like two dips with 45 lbs, then:
              Dips +100 lbs: 1x8
              BAM.

Finished up with a few sprints on the rowing machine.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

• Mutherfucking gymnasts.

Fuckin sick effort

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                  Mutherfucking gymnasts.

Fuckin sick effort
                  Yeah, but holy hell squats are moving slow.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                    Yeah, but holy hell squats are moving slow.

Sent via lightsaber
                    I'll trade you: 10 lb off my squat max to yours for 10 lb off your bench max to mine.
                    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Potato, poh tah toe. I trembled up a double on 242 with bench last night. Your upper body work is monstering me right now.

Comment

• Who wants to trade me for my 145lb bench press? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                          Who wants to trade me for my 145lb bench press? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
                          145 is pretty legit.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                            145 is pretty legit.
                            For a chick - which I am. But I'm tryin to rock with the big boys! ;-) Just kidding...ish...sort of...

Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                              For a chick - which I am. But I'm tryin to rock with the big boys! ;-) Just kidding...ish...sort of...

Thank you!
                              I'll let you compete with us (pound for pound) on squats and deadlifts if you want, but you wimmenfolk tend to carry way less upper body muscle mass, so it isn't fair to compare bench or press numbers. In fact, I'd have to guess just intuitively that you probably have a better bench than I do on a relative basis.

Wilks scores make all this stuff pretty fair if you ever want to really compare yourself to us. But you gotta out-bench Mr. A if you wanna be the pound-for-pound bench champ of this thread (I think he's the reigning bench-master 'round here, right?)
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                                I'll let you compete with us (pound for pound) on squats and deadlifts if you want, but you wimmenfolk tend to carry way less upper body muscle mass, so it isn't fair to compare bench or press numbers. In fact, I'd have to guess just intuitively that you probably have a better bench than I do on a relative basis.

Wilks scores make all this stuff pretty fair if you ever want to really compare yourself to us. But you gotta out-bench Mr. A if you wanna be the pound-for-pound bench champ of this thread (I think he's the reigning bench-master 'round here, right?)
                                Ok, you win. I'm old-fashioned, anyway. I likes my mens big and strong - way stronger than me.

Comment

Working...
                                X