What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Neckhammer
    Today I took the same weight, wanting to increase on Wednesday. Yesterday was my pulling day, friday I did shoulders, core and chest with bw. I have to take care of my shoulder, so I have to be xareful with the pushing exercises, but chest and deltoids are getting stronger though.
    Thank you for your reply!

Comment

• Soreness isn't a particularly good metric for working out when to train next, particularly because retraining a body part tends to diminish soreness.

In respect to my own training, I'm not doing big volume, so I hit my legs 3 times a week (Heavy Squats Monday, Light Squats and Deadlifts Wednesday, Volume Squats Friday). But it's literally one or two movements each workout, so it's not a big deal.

Would I do this when I was doing a legs day with 6-7 different exercises in one workout? No, absolutely not. In that case, once per week was how I set it. But on that sort of program I'd always find a way to reengage my pins through the week to keep them from being sore, whether just walking, stationary bike, plyo's or a bit of bodyweight work.

Edit: Forget to mention in a pre coffee haze, but I've done full body workouts based around isolation movements, and hitting your legs 3 times a week isn't especially problematic as long as you break up the workload intelligently. I wasn't repeating lifts as I am now and recovered fine. So overall it comes down to your own recovery rate and what you're looking to achieve.
      Last edited by Reventon; 02-02-2014, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Thanks

Comment

• Greasing the groove dips. Sets of 20 here and there all day long.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Woof. Found out about a a dinner a bunch of friends and me are meant to have on Wednesday. Thought "Crap, I'd better at least get in deadlifts tonight so I can go to dinner in peace." Then I get a text telling me everyone's freaking piked out on dinner right as my workout comes to an end. Goddammit.

Squats

90 kg (198 lb) x 5
            110 kg (242 lb) x 5
            130 kg (286 lb) x 5
            150 kg (330 lb) x 5
            175 kg (385 lb) x 5

Bench

52.5 kg (115 lb) x 5
            65 kg (143 lb) x 5
            77.5kg (170 lb) x 5
            90 kg (198 lb) x 5
            102.5 kg (225 lb) x5

Pendlays

60 kg (132 lb) @ 2 x 5
            72.5 kg (160 lb) x 5
            85 kg (187 lb) x 5
            97.5 kg (215 lb) x 5

Deadlifts

120 kg (264 lb) x5
            150 kg (330 lb) x5
            170 kg (374 lb) x5
            195 kg (429 lb) x4 (4 RM)

Pissed off. Missing that fifth rep due to being gassed...gah. When I went to drive up and felt I didn't have the juice I took my hands off the bar, stood up, growled "Mutherfucker!!!" while death staring it. I think it freaked out a few people.

There's a cool young dude there who keeps asking me for form advice who picked my brain for a few tips after that. I think he was the only one kind of not intimidated by me at that point. Oops.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              Greasing the groove dips. Sets of 20 here and there all day long.
              Sets of 20 for greasing the groove? Maybe if you can bust out sets of 100.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• On sunday I was just gonna hit sauna but the squat rack is finally in! So yeah, I'm gonna give back squats another go. Maybe after working the goblet squat, front squat (only what I could clean), and kettlebell stuff for the past 6 weeks I'll be able to give em a go. So starting really light and moving slowly:

3 sets 135x10 back squats.
                3 sets 35's x 10 OHP
                3 sets super wide grip pullups x 5

So this is what I might call "mobility" day rather than a workout, but like I said just going through these motions on a near daily basis feels right. I'll hit em properly heavy at least once a week, but I'm no spring chick and my job still requires me to move some heavy weight once in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                  Woof. Found out about a a dinner a bunch of friends and me are meant to have on Wednesday. Thought "Crap, I'd better at least get in deadlifts tonight so I can go to dinner in peace." Then I get a text telling me everyone's freaking piked out on dinner right as my workout comes to an end. Goddammit.

Squats

90 kg (198 lb) x 5
                  110 kg (242 lb) x 5
                  130 kg (286 lb) x 5
                  150 kg (330 lb) x 5
                  175 kg (385 lb) x 5

Bench

52.5 kg (115 lb) x 5
                  65 kg (143 lb) x 5
                  77.5kg (170 lb) x 5
                  90 kg (198 lb) x 5
                  102.5 kg (225 lb) x5

Pendlays

60 kg (132 lb) @ 2 x 5
                  72.5 kg (160 lb) x 5
                  85 kg (187 lb) x 5
                  97.5 kg (215 lb) x 5

Deadlifts

120 kg (264 lb) x5
                  150 kg (330 lb) x5
                  170 kg (374 lb) x5
                  195 kg (429 lb) x4 (4 RM)

Pissed off. Missing that fifth rep due to being gassed...gah. When I went to drive up and felt I didn't have the juice I took my hands off the bar, stood up, growled "Mutherfucker!!!" while death staring it. I think it freaked out a few people.

There's a cool young dude there who keeps asking me for form advice who picked my brain for a few tips after that. I think he was the only one kind of not intimidated by me at that point. Oops.
                  Way too much for one workout, but I'd have done the same thing under similar circumstances.

Those squats are getting ridiculous, bro.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Upper body workout with dumbbells...and: I used the lat pull machine, but I didn't sit down, but kept standing. Felt more intense, think I will stick to that, because of the absence of a cable tower. Maybe it is hiding somewhere in my gym!? Will go and search for it!

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Way too much for one workout, but I'd have done the same thing under similar circumstances.

Those squats are getting ridiculous, bro.
                      Thanks man. And yeah, I'm totally feeling it today. Drained doesn't begin to describe it.

Comment

Thanks man. And yeah, I'm totally feeling it today. Drained doesn't begin to describe it.
                        Extra milk for you, my friend. And sleep. In the middle of my workout now. Will post when done. So far, so good.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Squat:
                          255 x 5
                          295 x 5
                          335 x 7 (7-rep PR, Wendler Formula PR).

Lost the 8th rep out front (got up about 2" and realized I had to put it down on the pins or risk a back injury), but none of the 7 were badly squatmorninged. Lots of mobility work yesterday let me get my hands a bit closer together today, per Reventon's suggestion. Gonna try and stay on top of it.

Bench:
                          165 x 5
                          190 x 5
                          215 x 5 (ties 5-rep PR)

Close-grip bench:

145 x 10 x 5

Power Cleans:

165 x 1 x 7

Barbell curls (Rip-style):

70 x 10 x 3

EZ-Curl Bar LTE's (also Rip-style):

70 x 10 x 3
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• CrossFit was cancelled so my wife and I did an hour of shoveling snow!
                            52 year old Male
                            Goal: 185lbs
                            April 10th: 220lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              Squat:
                              255 x 5
                              295 x 5
                              335 x 7 (7-rep PR, Wendler Formula PR).

Lost the 8th rep out front (got up about 2" and realized I had to put it down on the pins or risk a back injury), but none of the 7 were badly squatmorninged. Lots of mobility work yesterday let me get my hands a bit closer together today, per Reventon's suggestion. Gonna try and stay on top of it.

Bench:
                              165 x 5
                              190 x 5
                              215 x 5 (ties 5-rep PR)

Close-grip bench:

145 x 10 x 5

Power Cleans:

165 x 1 x 7

Barbell curls (Rip-style):

70 x 10 x 3

EZ-Curl Bar LTE's (also Rip-style):

70 x 10 x 3
                              Very solid day, man. That's good volume for the mid 300s.

Be interesting to see how your grip experiment goes. I see tons of guys wide grip it and my first thought is "Yeah, fuq dat bro." Just couldn't do it and maintain torso tension. Kudos for managing it this far into your programming.

Comment

Very solid day, man. That's good volume for the mid 300s.

Be interesting to see how your grip experiment goes. I see tons of guys wide grip it and my first thought is "Yeah, fuq dat bro." Just couldn't do it and maintain torso tension. Kudos for managing it this far into your programming.
                                Thanks, man. Some of the big powerlifters do okay with a wide grip. I'm not as inflexible as them. But it does take constant effort to keep everything tight. It was definitely a bit easier today with my hands fully inside the rings. I did a ton of dislocations last night, and some other shoulder stretching.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X