No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm feeling like some deadlifts today.

Just gonna start at 185 and add 50 then 20lbs a shot and see where I end up....probably doing sets of 3-5 on the way up. We will see. I'm kinda digging the "freestyle" lifting thing. Will see about doing a press movement as well to round it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
      I'm feeling like some deadlifts today.

Just gonna start at 185 and add 50 then 20lbs a shot and see where I end up....probably doing sets of 3-5 on the way up. We will see. I'm kinda digging the "freestyle" lifting thing. Will see about doing a press movement as well to round it out.
      Not sure if you deadlift sumo, conventional, or in-between, but just remember that you have a lot more in you than you think (as long as you can keep your anatomy in its proper place). My 5-rep set at 360 felt like a limit weight yesterday, but I added 50 lbs and pulled a triple with 410, which felt like a limit weight. And I decided to pull on 460 like my life depended on it, and I got that for 2 reps.

I'd never advocate unsafe lifting mechanics. If you can't lift a weight without lumbar flexion, for example, forget it. I'm just saying if you go in with the right mental mechanics, I bet you'll be surprised what you can pull.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
        Gods I'm reading through all these posts and I feel like such a looser!!!

Yesterday I picked up my exercises again after a week of feeling very sorry for myself.
        3x10 wall-pushups
        4x10 body weight squats
        2x20 seconds knee-hand plank
        2x10 20l sandback lifting.
        and I'm feeling very sore!!!!! Especially in my arms and legs...
        I'm seriously starting to wonder if I'm made for weight training... especially when I see what you guys are doing!!!
        You are nor alone...often felt like you do when reading the previous posts...So I will tell my numbers to encourage you
        Yesterday I focused on legs and butt:
        Four rounds of squats, lunges (right and left leg), sumo squats, dead lifts, side lunges
        1.round 4kg dumbbells (one in each hand) 10 repititions
        2.round 6kg dumbbells, 8 repititions
        3.round 8kg dumbells, 6 repitions
        4.round without any weights, 12 repititions
        Then I did four rounds of crunches and hip thrusts, 15 repititions for each exercise per round.
        After that I did the yes-no machine 3x15 for inner and outer thighs, leg press, seated leg curls, back extensions.
        I really feel my legs and butt today...
        Some may throw their hands up in horror reading my programme. But that is what I felt like when entered the gym yesterday. The day before I did my HIIT on the stair master, today I did some bw exercises for core and shoulders. If my legs are fresh tomorrow, I will do the HIIT on the stationary bike and machines for the back, biceps and triceps withdumbbells. the day after tomorrow I will repeat yesterdays workout.
        I hope that wasn't too much of boring information. But perhaps you feel supported. There is another woman around who is not able to compete with the guys. But as they say: Itisnotaboutbeingthebiggestdogintheyard

Comment

• Thanks Gergirl and Rich!
          I'm very happy to have you guys here for support. It makes me motivated to do some more training..
          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

• The only way I'm further down the road than anybody is in age

MarielleGO and gergirl you are both doing great! Just moving our bodies is such a freaking improvement over the 90% of population that got sucked into their couch and can't get out. Keep it up!

For me the deadlift day was less than spectacular. Found my 1RM though... 335. Started at 185 doing sets of 5 and upping it 20 pounds at a time. By the time I got to 285 (only did 3 reps....but felt *easy*) decided to make the leap to 2x body weight and see what was what. Pretty disappointed actually. Felt so good, but again the grip gave out before I could get reps. Guess double overhand with no chalk and no belt is gonna have to change now. I been putting it off a long time just telling myself that my hands just gotta get stronger. At the very least I'm gonna have to try some chalk I think.

BW Chins 3x10
            OHP (65's dumbells) 3x5
            Goblet squats 5x5 with some light dumbell....think it was a 45.
            4x20 second sprints on recumbent with active rest...took about 6 minutes total.

Comment

The only way I'm further down the road than anybody is in age

MarielleGO and gergirl you are both doing great! Just moving our bodies is such a freaking improvement over the 90% of population that got sucked into their couch and can't get out. Keep it up!

Comment

The only way I'm further down the road than anybody is in age

For me the deadlift day was less than spectacular. Found my 1RM though... 335. Started at 185 doing sets of 5 and upping it 20 pounds at a time. By the time I got to 285 (only did 3 reps....but felt *easy*) decided to make the leap to 2x body weight and see what was what. Pretty disappointed actually. Felt so good, but again the grip gave out before I could get reps. Guess double overhand with no chalk and no belt is gonna have to change now. I been putting it off a long time just telling myself that my hands just gotta get stronger. At the very least I'm gonna have to try some chalk I think.
                Even with chalk, I only double-overhand up to the 2nd rep on my 315 warm-up. Then I supinate the left hand until my final, heaviest set, in which I supinate my right hand.

I don't feel like the belt helps as much for deadlifts as it does with squats, and until recently I was doing them all beltless. I have come to like it better, just for giving me proprioceptive feedback to contract my abs, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Even with chalk, I only double-overhand up to the 2nd rep on my 315 warm-up. Then I supinate the left hand until my final, heaviest set, in which I supinate my right hand.

I don't feel like the belt helps as much for deadlifts as it does with squats, and until recently I was doing them all beltless. I have come to like it better, just for giving me proprioceptive feedback to contract my abs, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker.
                  Cool....I'm a bit freaked out about the supinated grip. I see you don't hook grip anymore. Just not worth the pain? I haven't tried that yet either.

Comment

Cool....I'm a bit freaked out about the supinated grip. I see you don't hook grip anymore. Just not worth the pain? I haven't tried that yet either.
                    Yeah, I abandoned the hook grip because I felt like I was leaving reps on the table because the sensation was distracting.

That's my way of saying "yup, it hurt my widdle fingers and I p*ssied out"

I am still working on grip strength (hence the fat gripz rows) and trying to increase how deep into warm-ups I can get double overhand. But in the meantime, I feel like doing some work left-supinated and some right-supinated will at least discourage the development of any long-term imbalances.

What's you worry about supinated grip? That you won't have a grip strength stimulus, or that you'll tear a bicep tendon?
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Yeah, I abandoned the hook grip because I felt like I was leaving reps on the table because the sensation was distracting.

That's my way of saying "yup, it hurt my widdle fingers and I p*ssied out"

I am still working on grip strength (hence the fat gripz rows) and trying to increase how deep into warm-ups I can get double overhand. But in the meantime, I feel like doing some work left-supinated and some right-supinated will at least discourage the development of any long-term imbalances.

What's you worry about supinated grip? That you won't have a grip strength stimulus, or that you'll tear a bicep tendon?
                      Its the bicep tendon thing. When I tried the supinated grip briefly doing it with my left hand feels most natural. Just so happens thats the same side that I ruptured my pec tendon on. Yeah, just not super psyched about hearing/feeling another tendon rip apart.....thats my way of saying "I'm p*ssing out".

Comment

• Man, alternating in right hand supinated feels so weird. Its my dominant hand, so it shouldn't, but right over, left under just feels so natural for me. I'm weird like that though. I'm a righty with a left hand jump shot in b'ball (but a right hand hook and lay up) and a better left hand pass in rugby than my right. Massively dominant right foot, though. My left foot pass in soccer is bowling shoes ugly.

So hungover today. Woof.

Got in my workout last night in a staggered array because I won't have chance today. Monday was a public holiday, so Tue, Thu, Fri it was. Followed by a bottle of Russian Standard and many hijinks, including drunk pull ups and a horizontal bar dip that turned into an unintentional handstand and flip over ...Cos that's how I roll! XD

Lucky this staggered arrangement was early in my progression. It was still brutal.

Squats:

90 kg (198 lb) x 5, 110 kg (242 lb) x 5, 130 kg (286 lb) x 5, 150 kg (330 lb) x 5, 172.5 kg (380 lb) x 3, 130 kg (286 lb) x 8

Bench:

50 kg (110 lb) x 5, 62.5 kg (137.5 lb) x 5, 75 kg (165 lb) x 5, 87.5 kg (192 lb) x 5, 102.5 kg (225 lb) x 3, 75 kg (165 lb) x 8

Pendlay:

50 kg (110 lbs) x 5, 60 kg (132 lb) x 5, 72.5 kg (160 lb) x 5, 82.5 kg (181 lb) x 5, 97.5 kg (215 lb) x 5, 72.5 kg (160 lb) x 8

No more vodka... for at least a week. I've pack on 2 kgs from booze alone.

Comment

• I really didn't feel like training legs ( or anything else for that matter !) today as I've started a new position at work that involves me either standing, walking or running out in the cold for 12 hrs straight with hardly any down time........my knees felt shot yesterday !

Anyway I forced myself to the gym :

Stiff legged deadlifts: 315lbs x 5, 335lbs x 1 ( shouldn't have done this one really as I'm not ready for it, hence the one rep !)

Leg Press: 430lbs Rest/Pause style x 3,3,3,3 ( was disappointed with this !)
                          Leg Press: 90lbs Super slow x 1 set

Leg Ext: 1 set to total failure

Lateral raise 22.5lb D's x 2 sets
                          Smith machine presses: 90lbs x 2 sets
                          Cable Laterals: 2 sets

Seated calf raise: Alternate legs to failure
                          Leg press calf raise x 2 drop sets

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                            Man, alternating in right hand supinated feels so weird. Its my dominant hand, so it shouldn't, but right over, left under just feels so natural for me. I'm weird like that though. I'm a righty with a left hand jump shot in b'ball (but a right hand hook and lay up) and a better left hand pass in rugby than my right. Massively dominant right foot, though. My left foot pass in soccer is bowling shoes ugly.
                            I believe most right-handed people like to supinate the left hand and I'm actually the weirdo on this one.

Necky - I don't feel any kind of discomfort from supinating either hand, but everybody's put together uniquely to a degree. If you don't want to take the risk, play with the hook. Some people find a thin strip of athletic tape around the thumbs makes it more secure and/or tolerable. I'd go that route even with the thumb pain rather than allowing grip to limit the development of back strength. Only use it on the sets where you need to.
                            Last edited by RichMahogany; 01-31-2014, 07:16 PM.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Well, today it is sunday and I repeated the leg workout I did on thursday, just left out the machines after the dead lifts, squats, lunges, back extensions.
                              My legs weren't completely recovered, but I felt like training is possible and ok, felt still ok afterwards but I expect my legs to feel sore for the next two-three days. I planning to train again on wednesday ( = two days off for legs, just a slow bike ride on tuesday?). Do you think I should even if the leg muscles aren' t fully recovered or should I wait until I don' t feel any soreness at all. Training that hard is new to me and I never needed more than two days to recover. Too hard now? Do I just need to get used to it? Any advice from the more experienced out there?

Comment

• I'm just gonna sauna like a champ today. Get back to the wieghts on Monday.

gergirl, its really hard to say. Are you able to lift the same weight for same reps, or better yet increase one or the other? If so then you are probably OK to train that bodypart again. But just out of curiosity where is the upper body work fitting in? I'd say alternate some upper body work with all of that lower body dominate exercise you are doing. When I'm working at a higher intensity I would only work a specific bodypart/lift to its extremes 1-2x/week.

Comment

Working...
                                X