No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today was a rest day (I'm running Texas Method), but tonight I held a 20 second human flag.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

• Squat (light):

90 kg (198 lb) x 5, 110 kg (242 lb) x 5, 130 kg (286 lb) @ 2 x 5

Press:

45 kg (99 lb) x5 x 52.5 kg (115 lb) x 5, 62.5 kg (137.5 lb) x 5, 70 kg (154 lb) x 5

Initially failed the 5th rep cos I set my grip too narrow and cut my rest too short. Reset and managed to grind it up without serious layback.

Deadlift:

120 kg (264 lb) x 5, 140 kg (308 lb) x 5, 167.5 kg (368 lb) x 5, 190 kg (418 lb) x 5 (PR)

OMFG. That PR felt horrible, but incredible. Had a 8 min rest between the penultimate and final sets, got ready, then grabbed that motherf**ker like it owed me ten large. Compared to last weeks candy ass flop and fail, this was an incredible feeling.

If I complete MadCow without failure, this means I'll hit 10 more deadlift 5RMs (mostly due to the 1RM calculation based off that crazy day I pulled 485 lb and the way it scales predicted 5 Rep work).

Stoked, but nervous.
      Last edited by Reventon; 01-30-2014, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
        Stoked, but nervous.
        You're doing it right.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Tabata 8 stations.

Comment

• Well, not that anyone's reading this with all the excitement in the booty builder thread, but I'll continue my tradition and post it anyway:

1/30/14

Light squats:
            240 x 8 x 3

Press (2.0):
            115 x 5 / 130 x 3 / 145 x 5

I feel like these just gas me out after a recent form change. Think I need to get the motor pattern down.

Deadlift (see video):

360 x 5
            410 x 3
            460 x 2 (new 2/1-rep PR)

Put the first rep back down WAY too slowly. It sapped my energies for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM0al6k-mvQ

Presses (assistance):
            95 x 10 x 5

Bent-over dumbbell fat gripz rows:

70 x 5 x 3 (each hand)

Dips:

20/20/20
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Looks good man! that was 460? Very solid lift.

Comment

• Nice deadlifts. You'll wreck 500.
                In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Thanks, guys. Yeah, that was 460. I'm ready to find a PL meet and sign up. I think I could have a chance to place if I manage to keep my head, taper properly, and have a good day out there. I'd be hoping to total >=1150 in a raw meet. I'm up to about 164 now, but I'd be looking to compete in the 148's.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Kudos man. Your form was really sweet on those reps too. But yeah, you were super ginger on that eccentric. Definitely robbed you of at least one rep, if not two. With the right warm up on a day you're in the groove, I can definitely see you pulling a fiver out of 460 based on that vid.

I bang them mofos down at the gym when I'm on my max effort sets. I just don't give a f**k. If people want to hate on me for lunking, they can complain to management. Obviously, the reinforcement there is fine and I don't have to worry because it's not a loft, it's two inches of padding over a concrete floor. No damage to be done, just noise.

The weight you're pulling that shit at is crazy too. I feel like such a fat prick right now maintaining at 230 or so. I mean, I know the mass I've gained is muscle, as my waist has stayed a constant and my gut has gotten a bit smaller if anything, but goddamn. You're using your mass very efficiently.

Man, just looking at your old squat vid while I was at it, you tried taking a narrower grip on the bar? That might help with the tendency to squat morning as it gets super heavy. I've noticed the tighter to my body I keep my hands, the more upright I tend to stay.

Comment

Kudos man. Your form was really sweet on those reps too. But yeah, you were super ginger on that eccentric. Definitely robbed you of at least one rep, if not two. With the right warm up on a day you're in the groove, I can definitely see you pulling a fiver out of 460 based on that vid.

I bang them mofos down at the gym when I'm on my max effort sets. I just don't give a f**k. If people want to hate on me for lunking, they can complain to management. Obviously, the reinforcement there is fine and I don't have to worry because it's not a loft, it's two inches of padding over a concrete floor. No damage to be done, just noise.
                      Yeah, I know I'm leaving something on the table putting them down so slowly. I've been putting them down a bit faster in general, but I just brainfarted on that first rep and "forgot" to let it go down at a reasonable pace.

Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                      The weight you're pulling that shit at is crazy too. I feel like such a fat prick right now maintaining at 230 or so. I mean, I know the mass I've gained is muscle, as my waist has stayed a constant and my gut has gotten a bit smaller if anything, but goddamn. You're using your mass very efficiently.
                      Well, I've got you in chin-ups, but you've got me in pure strength. PL Competitions have weight classes, but life doesn't. Just keep getting strong, that's my motto.

Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                      Man, just looking at your old squat vid while I was at it, you tried taking a narrower grip on the bar? That might help with the tendency to squat morning as it gets super heavy. I've noticed the tighter to my body I keep my hands, the more upright I tend to stay.
                      I'd love to take a narrower grip on the bar. Unfortunately, a life of poor posture has led to some thoracic kyphosis and shoulder immobility that makes that grip as narrow as I can get it. But you're 100% dead on that it's an issue of upper back tightness, and when I have someone reminding me every rep to squeeze my upper back tight, I do a much better job of making the hips and shoulders rise more simultaneously.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        I'd love to take a narrower grip on the bar. Unfortunately, a life of poor posture has led to some thoracic kyphosis and shoulder immobility that makes that grip as narrow as I can get it. But you're 100% dead on that it's an issue of upper back tightness, and when I have someone reminding me every rep to squeeze my upper back tight, I do a much better job of making the hips and shoulders rise more simultaneously.
                        Damn. And here I am whinging about my piddly little nagging shoulder and knee pains.

Even more kudos for tightening your upper back with your arms wide. It's a prick of a task to constantly undertake, and no wonder you need reminders. I'd have serious trouble doing it by habit.

Comment

• Gods I'm reading through all these posts and I feel like such a looser!!!

Yesterday I picked up my exercises again after a week of feeling very sorry for myself.
                          3x10 wall-pushups
                          4x10 body weight squats
                          2x20 seconds knee-hand plank
                          2x10 20l sandback lifting.
                          and I'm feeling very sore!!!!! Especially in my arms and legs...
                          I'm seriously starting to wonder if I'm made for weight training... especially when I see what you guys are doing!!!
                          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
                            Gods I'm reading through all these posts and I feel like such a looser!!!

Yesterday I picked up my exercises again after a week of feeling very sorry for myself.
                            3x10 wall-pushups
                            4x10 body weight squats
                            2x20 seconds knee-hand plank
                            2x10 20l sandback lifting.
                            and I'm feeling very sore!!!!! Especially in my arms and legs...
                            I'm seriously starting to wonder if I'm made for weight training... especially when I see what you guys are doing!!!
                            Don't worry about the numbers. They're just signposts on the road. They're of anecdotal interest to folks, but nothing more. There are plenty of people way further down the road than I am (or fellas like Rich, Necky and Jefferson) - when I look at the numbers dudes in my weight class are posting at powerlifting meets, I am truly humbled understanding what is possible through training and dedication.

But then I remember where I started, the journey it took to reach where I am now and how much better I feel every day.

It's not about being the biggest dog in the yard, because there's always someone bigger. It's about being better today than you were yesterday, and even better still tomorrow.

That doesn't mean you have to see the numbers escalate without interruption, and that you won't eventually run into hard limits you can't overcome without serious struggle. You will. You will fail. Failure will make you stronger, physically and mentally. You will find a way to get past the obstacles you encounter. Grinding a rep out through sheer stubborness, trying new form, working in different assistance lifts, changing your rep scheme. By hook or by crook, you will find a way to overcome your limits and you will grow.

Failing when you've given it your all is never shameful, because encountering your limit is the only way you ever truly know when you've given it your all. Never trying is the shame.

So do I think your bodyweight and sandbag workout is a good thing? Fuckin right I do. You have to start somewhere. We all do. None of us begins big. The main thing to work out is how to progress. How do you do more reps. Then change your wall push up into an incline. Then a slight incline. Then a flat push up. Then a decline. Then a diamond.

Don't fret that there are people more capable than you, but use them as inspiration. I watch the guys doing walking handstand push ups on youtube with ease, then I struggle to perform a wall assisted handstand walk, or shaky, shaky wall handstand push up with crappy form.

But I'll be less shitty and more confident with that drill tomorrow than I was yesterday. I'll be fitter and stronger. And that's what really counts.

Comment

Don't worry about the numbers. They're just signposts on the road. They're of anecdotal interest to folks, but nothing more. There are plenty of people way further down the road than I am (or fellas like Rich, Necky and Jefferson) - when I look at the numbers dudes in my weight class are posting at powerlifting meets, I am truly humbled understanding what is possible through training and dedication.

But then I remember where I started, the journey it took to reach where I am now and how much better I feel every day.

It's not about being the biggest dog in the yard, because there's always someone bigger. It's about being better today than you were yesterday, and even better still tomorrow.

That doesn't mean you have to see the numbers escalate without interruption, and that you won't eventually run into hard limits you can't overcome without serious struggle. You will. You will fail. Failure will make you stronger, physically and mentally. You will find a way to get past the obstacles you encounter. Grinding a rep out through sheer stubborness, trying new form, working in different assistance lifts, changing your rep scheme. By hook or by crook, you will find a way to overcome your limits and you will grow.

Failing when you've given it your all is never shameful, because encountering your limit is the only way you ever truly know when you've given it your all. Never trying is the shame.

So do I think your bodyweight and sandbag workout is a good thing? Fuckin right I do. You have to start somewhere. We all do. None of us begins big. The main thing to work out is how to progress. How do you do more reps. Then change your wall push up into an incline. Then a slight incline. Then a flat push up. Then a decline. Then a diamond.

Don't fret that there are people more capable than you, but use them as inspiration. I watch the guys doing walking handstand push ups on youtube with ease, then I struggle to perform a wall assisted handstand walk, or shaky, shaky wall handstand push up with crappy form.

But I'll be less shitty and more confident with that drill tomorrow than I was yesterday. I'll be fitter and stronger. And that's what really counts.
                              Aww. thanks for your kind words of support!
                              I honestly know that you all are much further down the line but sometines it's just so blood annoying and depressing that I feel so sore after just doing a little bit...
                              But we continue and try to work forward.
                              My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

• Marielle, I second everything Reventon said, plus:

Remember that every intermediate and advanced lifter wants to be a novice. A novice, by definition, can get stronger faster than any more advanced lifter. If you want to get strong, pick up Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition, (or start any other novice linear progression) and you can start setting Personal Records today and keep doing so EVERY TIME you step into the gym for months to come.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X