What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I'm just trying to reverse engineer your gains so that I can break my own deadlift plateau
    You need to challenge someone to a deadlift duel. That's what really got mine started. Also, being on the short side helps. I don't have to move the bar as far.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Uneven pushups (one hand on a basketball, as a progression towards one arm pushup) 20 reps both arms, 14 reps both arms
      Hanging straight leg raises: 15, 12
      standing bent-leg calf raise 4 sets of 50

Comment

• Ok... I think I'm calling it on the Easy Strength thing. Breakdown:

The Good:

1. Generally feel more dense/tied together.
        2. Had a chance to play with different squat and deadlift variations. This is kind of a cheat from the program as the idea is to just do the same 4-5 movements the whole time....but I got bored and made my program ANY push, pull, hinge, and squat.
        3. Definitely like the idea of just MOVING everyday. I will continue doing at the minimum some goblet squats and a few swings with the 55lb kettlebell on my off days.
        4. Ravenous eater. Good or bad....I piled it away for the past month and didn't put on any "weight". Dunno about composition for certain.
        5. Zero low back pain. In fact my glutes are finally firing . Seriously, some other joint issues popped up, but the back is fantastic....so weird.

The Bad:

OK most of the bad is going to be just cause I'm a sissy....old injuries just tend to act up with repetition no matter the load sometimes and its part of the reason I'm cutting this short.

1. Dang elbows and shoulders. Both are constantly nagging and nicked up from all the OHP activity. I can hit that sort of thing 1-2 times a week, but daily really causes some issue...heck even with these light weights. Either that or my crap diet as of late.
        2. Daily is daily. Its a bit tough to get to it sometimes and thats when I just used the KB, but it felt like I cheated the program to go THAT light.
        3. LOL...this one is good. I hyperextended my left knee while learning to KB swing. I just really wanted to pop that sucker up hard! Well I did, but paid for it. Nothing serious, but it will require a bit of a break from deads and sqauts now.

Overall I think its a great starting out program OR even a transitional one. So if you are moving from one program to another and want a 4 week interval to practice some technique you would likely also benefit and even gain a bit of strength. Definitely wouldn't lose any! I'll test some 5RM soon see where I am...gonna take a few days to a week off to let things settle.

Comment

• Well...I cannot compete with the guys around, but I'm working on lifting heavier... Full body workout today with machines, figuring out how heavy I can go. Short hill cycling on the stationary bike afterwards. Feeling really like I could eat all the time since I started working out with heavier weights a few weeks ago. Is that psychological or a real bodily need

Comment

• The appetite most definitely is a consequence of training. The body takes damage and expends a tremendous amount of energy, so it stimulates the appetite because it wants to fix the damage and top your tank up. I'm normally a big eater anyway, but when I restarted resistance training after a year out of the gym and pushed myself to really high intensity, my appetite just skyrocketed. It's calmed down some now, but I find that when I change my workout (especially by upping the intensity) the adaption response shoots my appetite right up again.

You can eat constantly if you want to, personally I like to have a couple of big "feast" meals as a workout reward. Kind of like being on a hunt and getting that mammoth steak at the end But there's nothing wrong with the smaller meals spread out over the day as a model of meal planning - it does work, it just means you spend more time munching on stuff. Go with what works for you.

Comment

• 1/27/14

Squat:
              285 x 5
              325 x 3
              365 x 3 (3/2/1 rep P.R.)

Bench:
              185 x 5
              210 x 3
              235 x 2 (2/1 rep P.R.)
              155 x 10
              155 x 10
              155 x 10
              145 x 10
              135 x 10

Power Cleans:

162.5 x 1 x 7

Chin-ups:
              15, 14, 11
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                The appetite most definitely is a consequence of training. The body takes damage and expends a tremendous amount of energy, so it stimulates the appetite because it wants to fix the damage and top your tank up. I'm normally a big eater anyway, but when I restarted resistance training after a year out of the gym and pushed myself to really high intensity, my appetite just skyrocketed. It's calmed down some now, but I find that when I change my workout (especially by upping the intensity) the adaption response shoots my appetite right up again.

You can eat constantly if you want to, personally I like to have a couple of big "feast" meals as a workout reward. Kind of like being on a hunt and getting that mammoth steak at the end But there's nothing wrong with the smaller meals spread out over the day as a model of meal planning - it does work, it just means you spend more time munching on stuff. Go with what works for you.
                Thank you for your reply, Reventon

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  1/27/14

Squat:
                  285 x 5
                  325 x 3
                  365 x 3 (3/2/1 rep P.R.)

Bench:
                  185 x 5
                  210 x 3
                  235 x 2 (2/1 rep P.R.)
                  155 x 10
                  155 x 10
                  155 x 10
                  145 x 10
                  135 x 10

Power Cleans:

162.5 x 1 x 7

Chin-ups:
                  15, 14, 11
                  That's some f**kin awesome effort man PRs on 2 lifts and a f**kton of chin ups.

Good effort dude. Was actually considering deloading today. Not gonna happen now Need to be hittin dem ironz

Squats:

90 kg (198 lb) x 5
                  110 kg (242 lb) x 5
                  130 kg (286 lb) x 5
                  150 kg (330 lb) x 5
                  170 kg (374 lb) x 5

Bench

52.5 kg (116 lb) x 5
                  65 kg (143 lb) x 5
                  75 kg (165 lb) x 5
                  85 kg (187 lb) x 5
                  100 kg (220 lb) x 5

Pendlay

50 kg (110 lb) x 5
                  65 kg (143 lb) x 5
                  75 kg (165 lb) x 5
                  85 kg (187 lb) x 5
                  95 kg (209 lb) x 5

Chin ups:

6, 4, 3 (BW)

Decline Bench Press:

3x8 @ 35 kg (77 lb) per hand

Downward Angle Cable Crossover

3x10 @ ... something. I forget.

Was gonna do some curls then I worked out when picking up a bar I was totally gassed after 2 reps. Packed up and went home.

I'm digging the structure of MadCow. At this stage of periodisation, I have a ton of energy at the end of my barbell work (My actual MadCow work took approx 50 mins). That will change as loading increases, but for now it means I can attack accessory work with gusto.
                  Last edited by Reventon; 01-28-2014, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                    That's some f**kin awesome effort man PRs on 2 lifts and a f**kton of chin ups.

Good effort dude. Was actually considering deloading today. Not gonna happen now Need to be hittin dem ironz
                    ha ha. Thanks. I felt like crap for the previous workout, so I had a bit of a fire under my ass last night.

Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                    Squats:

90 kg (198 lb) x 5
                    110 kg (242 lb) x 5
                    130 kg (286 lb) x 5
                    150 kg (330 lb) x 5
                    170 kg (374 lb) x 5

Bench

52.5 kg (116 lb) x 5
                    65 kg (143 lb) x 5
                    75 kg (165 lb) x 5
                    85 kg (187 lb) x 5
                    100 kg (220 lb) x 5

Pendlay

50 kg (110 lb) x 5
                    65 kg (143 lb) x 5
                    75 kg (165 lb) x 5
                    85 kg (187 lb) x 5
                    95 kg (209 lb) x 5

Chin ups:

6, 4, 3 (BW)

Decline Bench Press:

3x8 @ 35 kg (77 lb) per hand

Downward Angle Cable Crossover

3x10 @ ... something. I forget.

Was gonna do some curls then I worked out when picking up a bar I was totally gassed after 2 reps. Packed up and went home.

I'm digging the structure of MadCow. At this stage of periodisation, I have a ton of energy at the end of my barbell work (My actual MadCow work took approx 50 mins). That will change as loading increases, but for now it means I can attack accessory work with gusto.
                    Yeah, as the weights go up, you will have to put more time/focus on the big lifts and less on the 8-12 rep accessory stuff. It's like microcycles within a mesocycle. I bet it's gonna work awesome for you.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Weighted chins 3x5 @55lbs
                      Goblet squats 3x8 @80lbs
                      Machine press 2x8 @ 130lbs
                      Turkish Getups x2 with KB
                      KB swings 55lbsx100

Still deciding on whats next so I'm just sticking with the basic squat, push, pull, hinge protocol till I decide.

Comment

• Today itwas power yoga and bw exercises for core, implementing shoulders and deltoids.

Comment

Good deal! Looks like your working toward that goal with a good plan.
                          Thanks dude. I already need to increase everything. I randomly tried for a 10 sec hang and was able to do it with minimal discomfort. I am definitely over 7 with the bent over rows as well. Time to adjust! And save up for a heavier kettlebell...
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• Five days of baby curls, singing, pacing around the house, tossing baby, rocking, etc. Got the constant movement down recently!
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Weighted chins 3x5 @55lbs
                              Goblet squats 3x8 @80lbs
                              Machine press 2x8 @ 130lbs
                              Turkish Getups x2 with KB
                              KB swings 55lbsx100

Still deciding on whats next so I'm just sticking with the basic squat, push, pull, hinge protocol till I decide.
                              Sounds like a good, quick maintenance plan. How long did it take you? <30 mins?
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                                Sounds like a good, quick maintenance plan. How long did it take you? <30 mins?
                                Yup. Right at about thirty.

Comment

Working...
                                X