• Mixed results day.

Squat:

177.5 kg (390 lbs): 5,5,2 (5 RM)

Bench:

102.5 kg (225 lbs) x3, failed attempt at 120 kg

Chin ups:

BW * 10

Accessory work:

Low and high angle cable crossovers, DB front raised, lateral raises and rear delt flies.

Totally gassed after the squats. I think that CNS drain killed my bench. I wanted to attempt 3x5, but knew I had no chance once the third rep went up. Thought I might as well empty the tank with a PR attempt, then did some accessory work when that failed.

The first set of squats was awesome. Clean, tight, metronomic. The second started well, with 2 BSU final reps, the last being an ugly, muscled out squat morning. The last I was jelly legged and trembling on the second rep. Didn't have the balls for a third, even with the safety pins.

It's MadCow time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
      Mixed results day.

Squat:

177.5 kg (390 lbs): 5,5,2 (5 RM)

Bench:

102.5 kg (225 lbs) x3, failed attempt at 120 kg

Chin ups:

BW * 10

Accessory work:

Low and high angle cable crossovers, DB front raised, lateral raises and rear delt flies.

Totally gassed after the squats. I think that CNS drain killed my bench. I wanted to attempt 3x5, but knew I had no chance once the third rep went up. Thought I might as well empty the tank with a PR attempt, then did some accessory work when that failed.

The first set of squats was awesome. Clean, tight, metronomic. The second started well, with 2 BSU final reps, the last being an ugly, muscled out squat morning. The last I was jelly legged and trembling on the second rep. Didn't have the balls for a third, even with the safety pins.

It's MadCow time.
      How long you resting between sets of squats?
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
        I'll take another shot at 170 in two weeks.
        Dang, that was difficult. The copyright hounds removed the gym music. It was Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles .

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Dang, that was difficult. The copyright hounds removed the gym music. It was Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles .
          You're pressing very strictly. My 170 press, on the other hand, was so fugly that I decided to re-set and work back up with better mechanics:

[/QUOTE]
          Last edited by RichMahogany; 01-20-2014, 12:24 PM.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            How long you resting between sets of squats?
            2-3 mins most days. Prolly 3-5 on that last set of squats

Comment

You're pressing very strictly. My 170 press, on the other hand, was so fugly that I decided to re-set and work back up with better mechanics:
              Dat perseverance. I probably would've given up on that rep. Respect.

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

2-3 mins most days. Prolly 3-5 on that last set of squats
                Damn. I was taking as long as 10 minutes between sets when I was doing sets of 5 across and they got really heavy for me. I bet you could keep going up the ladder another 30 or 50 pounds (maybe more) if you took a little longer to recover between sets. If you're into that sort of thing. I'm sure that switching to a more periodized model will work for you too, but at a slower rate of progress.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Dang, that was difficult. The copyright hounds removed the gym music. It was Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles
                  Nice man. Digging the oldschool long socks (we always had the same for rugby training) and Beatles And as Rich said, awesome press. Love the strict form.

Glad you decided on the reset too Rich. You can see how that leanback will be problematic as loading goes up. But like Jefferson said, ballsy effort just completing the rep.

As for more rest... eh. Don't know if I can justify it. 10 minutes? Damn. I'd get bored like a mofo. 5 is the most I can justify personally when it's a shared gym too. Different with your own home set up.
                  Last edited by Reventon; 01-20-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Dat perseverance. I probably would've given up on that rep. Respect.
                    Well, I'd already written it in my log, so I had to finish it. Technically, that would have been red-lighted since the bar actually started moving downward at one point.

Anyway, here was tonight's fun:

Squat:
                    250 x 5
                    280 x 5
                    325 x 8 (PR!)
                    Both an 8-rep PR (who cares?) and a Wendler formula PR. Leaving the last sloppy rep or 2 in the tank seems to be working. I could have squat-morninged a ninth with enough grunting.

Bench:
                    160 x 5
                    185 x 5
                    210 x 5 (f on 6)

I've gotten 7 before @ 210. This has stalled hard over the last month or two. I'm at a loss. Deload after next week's 5/3/1 unless I surprise myself and get multiple reps @235.

Power cleans:
                    6 singles at 160. 2 failed reps at 160. 1 more successful rep at 160.

Chin-ups:
                    +100 x 2
                    +75 x 4
                    +75 x 4

DB Curlz:
                    30 x 8,8,10

DB Bench Press:
                    50's x 10
                    60's x 10,10,10,10

Lying Triceps Ext. (EZ Curl Bar):
                    70 x 10,10,12
                    Last edited by RichMahogany; 01-20-2014, 04:13 PM.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Nice man. Digging the oldschool long socks (we always had the same for rugby training) and Beatles And as Rich said, awesome press. Love the strict form.

Glad you decided on the reset too Rich. You can see how that leanback will be problematic as loading goes up. But like Jefferson said, ballsy effort just completing the rep.

As for more rest... eh. Don't know if I can justify it. 10 minutes? Damn. I'd get bored like a mofo. 5 is the most I can justify personally when it's a shared gym too. Different with your own home set up.
                      Well, you don't have to go up to 10, but a stopwatch set for even 5 or 6 minutes might get you some more linear progress. At your strength level, periodization is certainly a justifiable option. If you were stalling in the 280's at your bodyweight, I'd say you are definitely leaving too much linear progress on the table. But closing in on 400, you're certainly strong enough to continue progress on a more advanced program. Whatever you decide, you're gonna kill it.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Bench:
                        160 x 5
                        185 x 5
                        210 x 5 (f on 6)

I've gotten 7 before @ 210. This has stalled hard over the last month or two. I'm at a loss. Deload after next week's 5/3/1 unless I surprise myself and get multiple reps @235.
                        Having similar issues on my bench with next to zero explanation. Last week's 3x5 attempt at 220, I nearly failed on the 3rd rep of the 2nd set. Had to rest pause my way through a weight I've done that successfully at before. Last night, same deal with 225 when I've repped 230 to 5 just fine. No idea what gives.

Comment

• Still doing "easy" strength stuff, and didn't have a rack to work with today.

deadlifts 5x215 3x235 2x255

then did 1xclean/5x front squat/5x press with 115 for 3 sets.

^ haven't done that sorta thing since back in the day! was kinda fun actually. figured part of my problem with the cleans was I'm just unable to have a close grip....gotta go wider than what I usually see on the you tubes. went and ran a few sprints and played some soccer with my son right after in the gym.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            ^ haven't done that sorta thing since back in the day! was kinda fun actually. figured part of my problem with the cleans was I'm just unable to have a close grip....gotta go wider than what I usually see on the you tubes. went and ran a few sprints and played some soccer with my son right after in the gym.
                            Sounds like a good day on the whole I'm really keen to see how easy strength goes for you. The preview DVD had me intrigued.

For me, first day of MadCow:

Squat (light day):

85kg x 5, 105kg x 5, 125kg (275 lb) @ 2 x 5

Press:

42.5kg x 5, 55kg x 5, 60 x 5, 67.5 (148 lbs) x 5

Deadlift:

115kg x 5, 140kg x 5, 160kg (352 lb) x 5, 185kg (407 lb) x 1

Haven't worked volume like this at these kind of weights. I was meant to do 5 at the 407 lb mark. So didn't happen. I did my usual warm ups at 130 lb and 220 lb, so overall it was a big ask, even with light squats. I felt like shit going in, but still I was hoping for at least a double on the heavy dead.
                            Last edited by Reventon; 01-22-2014, 04:18 AM.

Comment

• We will see. Even at the reduced loads some old joint injuries are starting to act up a bit. I wanna get at least 30 days in before I test some near maxes.

Chins 5x45 3x60 2x75
                              Deads 2x5x225
                              OHP due bells 2 45s x 5
                              Goblet squats 2x5x80

Comment

• Today I will Zumba on my wii!
                                My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Comment

Working...
                                X