Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
    No I hadn't. This is coming from these two resources and Revs personal experience:

    Even Easier Strength | Dan John

    T NATION | The 40-Day Program

    Along with the book "Simple and Sinister" by Pavel

    So I'm all set for at least 40 days before I test for results. Maybe longer depending on how it's going.
    Looks like the 40 day and 54321 have someting in common. At east a lot of maths...
    Think I couldn't stick to such a programme, sounds cool anyway. I'm not an experienced and successful heavy lifter. But good luck to you, I'm sure you'll keep us in the loop

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
      No I hadn't. This is coming from these two resources and Revs personal experience:

      Even Easier Strength | Dan John

      T NATION | The 40-Day Program

      Along with the book "Simple and Sinister" by Pavel

      So I'm all set for at least 40 days before I test for results. Maybe longer depending on how it's going.
      If it keeps working, keep doing it. Only reason to alter volume or change the program is if you plateau. I'm reverting to strict Stronglifts 5x5 this week (or 3x5 if failure occurs on too many lifts) and seeing how long it works before I need to go to MadCow. I could just go straight to MadCow, but I figure as long as the bigger volume works, I might as well do it.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by gergirl View Post
        Looks like the 40 day and 54321 have someting in common. At east a lot of maths...
        Think I couldn't stick to such a programme, sounds cool anyway. I'm not an experienced and successful heavy lifter. But good luck to you, I'm sure you'll keep us in the loop
        Thanks! Yup I will.

        Originally posted by Reventon View Post
        If it keeps working, keep doing it. Only reason to alter volume or change the program is if you plateau. I'm reverting to strict Stronglifts 5x5 this week (or 3x5 if failure occurs on too many lifts) and seeing how long it works before I need to go to MadCow. I could just go straight to MadCow, but I figure as long as the bigger volume works, I might as well do it.
        Yeah, the summo style deadlifts with ATG squats may be a bit much.... lol. Today I was on my first set of the squats after the deads and felt a bit of a strain in my groin/adductors on the right. Part of the problem is probably that I've never done summo style before. Everything else feels good and moving along that was a bit annoying. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.
        Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-12-2014, 01:42 PM.

        Comment


        • Push-ups, pull-ups, lunges, and sprinting. I also try to stand at work rather than sit.
          My opinions and some justification

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            Thanks! Yup I will.



            Yeah, the summo style deadlifts with ATG squats may be a bit much.... lol. Today I was on my first set of the squats after the deads and felt a bit of a strain in my groin/adductors on the right. Part of the problem is probably that I've never done summo style before. Everything else feels good and moving along that was a bit annoying. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.
            Woof. That'll definitely do 'er.

            I've always found with regulation deadlifts that programming them at the end of my routine is best. Even when the loading is low, they tax your reserves harder than anything else and it makes completing the rest of your workout a bitch.

            Doing deadlifts early in the routine... God I still have painful memories. Never again.

            Comment


            • Close pushups, two sets of twenty.
              Hanging leg raises, a set of 10 followed by a set of 8.
              calf raise: 40 reps, 32 reps

              Comment


              • 1/13/14: 5/3/1 Squat/Bench, PC, Accessories

                Built a platform in the loft yesterday. 4 pieces of 4 x 8 particle board, 1 piece of cabinet-grade plywood on top in the middle, and cut my horse stall mat in half the long way and put it on the sides where the plates hit. Held together with lots and lots of screws. It's super heavy/sturdy/awesome. And it was a bitch to get the particle board sheets up to the 3rd floor.

                Squat:
                280 x 5
                315 x 3
                355 x 3

                (3/2/1-rep PR. Could have done 1 more rep, but these 3 were sort of legit/pretty/solid, and I didn't want to defile the set with a squatmorning. And rep 4 would have been BSU*)

                Bench:
                180 x 5
                215 x 3
                230 x 2

                (2-rep PR. 230 was/still is my 1-rep PR)

                Power Cleans:
                157.5 x 1 x 7.
                Muscled many of these. Had to call 2 do-overs entirely. I think I try to catch them too upright. Or something. Thinking I gotta go to Jefferson's house to get some help on these!

                Chin-Ups:
                75 x 3
                50 x 5
                25 x 6
                0 x 10
                (short to moderate rest, not true HIT style, but kept the density on the higher side)

                Front Squats:
                5 x 10 x 135

                CGBP:
                5 x 10 x 135

                Took me well over 2 hours to get this all done. I think I just was excited to lift on a "real" platform.

                *Reventon knows.
                Last edited by RichMahogany; 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM.
                The Champagne of Beards

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Power Cleans:
                  157.5 x 1 x 7.
                  Muscled many of these. Had to call 2 do-overs entirely. I think I try to catch them too upright. Or something. Thinking I gotta go to Jefferson's house to get some help on these!
                  Alright, you can help me with my deadlift while you're over here . I think I was getting the hang of them by the end of my old log on the SS forum. It took lots of practice, deloads, and Youtube videos.
                  In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

                  This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                    Alright, you can help me with my deadlift while you're over here . I think I was getting the hang of them by the end of my old log on the SS forum. It took lots of practice, deloads, and Youtube videos.
                    Yeah, I get great reviews on my videos with any weight up to about 135. After that, it's just like my brain says "explode" and my body is like "what, bro? You want me to jump up real high with the bar?" And my brain's like "well, I did, like 4 seconds ago. You moron"
                    The Champagne of Beards

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      Haha....my problem with the getup is I'm hypermobile at the elbowes (read that they lock out at 200 degrees rather than a strong 180). So I gotta pay special attention to keeping the elbow strong and straight.

                      I took about a week to work up to the 100 swings. I have a left shoulder issue thats slowing my progress to the one arm variety, so I'm just gonna work on my power with the two arm swing for at least a month. Hopefully working the getup, two arm swings, and "easy strength" consistently will get me what I need to do the one arm swing soon.
                      in case anyone's interested in Pavel Tsatsouline's Simple & Sinister program, here are a couple of interesting S&S threads on the strongfirst forum from guys who have been following the program with good results:

                      http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/ss-results-so-far/

                      http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/6-w...-ss-long-post/
                      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                      Originally posted by tfarny
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        1/13/14: 5/3/1 Squat/Bench, PC, Accessories

                        Built a platform in the loft yesterday. 4 pieces of 4 x 8 particle board, 1 piece of cabinet-grade plywood on top in the middle, and cut my horse stall mat in half the long way and put it on the sides where the plates hit. Held together with lots and lots of screws. It's super heavy/sturdy/awesome. And it was a bitch to get the particle board sheets up to the 3rd floor.

                        Squat:
                        280 x 5
                        315 x 3
                        355 x 3

                        (3/2/1-rep PR. Could have done 1 more rep, but these 3 were sort of legit/pretty/solid, and I didn't want to defile the set with a squatmorning. And rep 4 would have been BSU*)

                        Bench:
                        180 x 5
                        215 x 3
                        230 x 2

                        (2-rep PR. 230 was/still is my 1-rep PR)

                        Power Cleans:
                        157.5 x 1 x 7.
                        Muscled many of these. Had to call 2 do-overs entirely. I think I try to catch them too upright. Or something. Thinking I gotta go to Jefferson's house to get some help on these!

                        Chin-Ups:
                        75 x 3
                        50 x 5
                        25 x 6
                        0 x 10
                        (short to moderate rest, not true HIT style, but kept the density on the higher side)

                        Front Squats:
                        5 x 10 x 135

                        CGBP:
                        5 x 10 x 135

                        Took me well over 2 hours to get this all done. I think I just was excited to lift on a "real" platform.

                        *Reventon knows.
                        Hah, awesome work man. I get what you mean about knowing the reps you've done are clean and not wanting to screw the set up. And also about being excited about good equipment. The first time I was at a gym with a lifting platform, bumper plates and chalk I was like a kid in a candy store. Making it yourself... now that's just the absolute business.

                        Last night I tried to bang out most of my work for the week as I may not be able to lift again until Friday:


                        Squats:

                        3x5 @ 170 kg (375 lbs)

                        I wanted 5x5 there. Pissed off about being gassed at the end of the 3rd set.

                        Bench Press:

                        1x5 @ 100 kg (220 lbs), then used an extended rest pause protocol with 15-30 second rests to hit another 10 reps

                        I've done 3x5 at this weight before. This result really pissed me off.


                        Bent over barbell row, double underhand grip

                        3x5 @ 100 kgs (220 lbs)

                        And these went up clean with barely a tremble. The mind wobbles.


                        Deadlifts:

                        180 kg (396 lbs) x4

                        I was just to gassed to go for the 5th. Seriously pissed off at myself. Technically a 4RM. But I'm so cranky I don't care.


                        Did some pull ups and KB swings to warm down. Tried a tabata sprint on a bike. It sucked.



                        RAGE.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                          Hah, awesome work man. I get what you mean about knowing the reps you've done are clean and not wanting to screw the set up.
                          Yeah, I really can't kick myself for getting 3 relatively clean reps with a heavier weight than I've ever had on my back before in my life.

                          Your squats are getting silly strong. Hard to believe you're upset about only managing 3 sets of 5 @ 375.

                          I would also suggest you forget the Tabata protocol in favor of the Wingate protocol for bike sprints. It still sucks, but the suck is slightly more spread out.
                          The Champagne of Beards

                          Comment


                          • Full body workout with barbell and dumbbells. Did some extra exercises for the butt, because I want that bodypart to be bigger Any advice to build it up excluding eating

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by gergirl View Post
                              Full body workout with barbell and dumbbells. Did some extra exercises for the butt, because I want that bodypart to be bigger Any advice to build it up excluding eating
                              Google "Bret Contreras." You're welcome.
                              The Champagne of Beards

                              Comment


                              • Thank you very much. Was hoping for you jumping in

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X