No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday's session wasn't too good, but this power clean went ok.

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Yeah, I think cycling hypertrophy and strength like that is really smart. I wish I could put my strength goals aside for 4 or 8 or 12 weeks and do some high rep stuff, but I seem to always be chasing a number (right now, 405 squat, 500 dead. I want it so bad my teeth hurt) and never can bring myself to "ego down" enough to do a real hypertrophy cycle. Have you gained some mass? I feel like if you gain mass, then teach it to contract like a mofo, you should see some awesome results.
      Oh yeah, I haven't mentioned lately. I'm up to 170lbs in the morning. I think the holidays have helped with the "mass gain", but for sure in the past 4 months or so that I've been in the higher rep range I've put on another 6+ lbs, and I have absolutely been increasing the weight that I can lift in that higher range. So yeah, now I'm looking to cycle into the strength rep range again. I've been reading stuff like this http://danjohn.net/2011/06/even-easi...-better-notes/ .....seems to me a good way to switch over and pretty congruent with what Rev did. Always working in the 90+% of my 5RM just burns me out so much, I can't handle the volume it seems like I need to really master the movements and concentrate on power and such. That and in the winter here I'm not as active as the summer so a program where I'm doing a little something everyday isn't so bad. In the summer I just wouldn't have the time with all the outdoor stuff.
      Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-11-2014, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Jefferson1775;1398967]Yesterday's session wasn't too good, but this power clean went ok.

Very nice dude!

Comment

• Sick work, Jeffers. Keep us posted, Necky.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Did a bit of a workout with the wife today, didn't write it down but did 3 plates a side on the Hammer chest press which was more than I've done before.

Comment

• Kettlebell workout today with the 55:

100 swings
              2 turkish getups
              2x5 (each side) one arm presses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                Kettlebell workout today with the 55:

100 swings
                2 turkish getups
                2x5 (each side) one arm presses.
                Cool. Just picked up my 24kg kb in Friday. Was worried that I'd gone to heavy to start with. Have done a few sets of swings with it over the past couple of days and planning will start the 100 swings tomorrow. Working on my tgu form with a foot of 4x4 at the moment and have the balance of a dead squirrel on my left side.
                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Thanks, Neckhammer and Rich. I think it'll be cool when I can clean 225 lb.
                  In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                    Thanks, Neckhammer and Rich. I think it'll be cool when I can clean 225 lb.
                    Yup its all bout the big plates .

Comment

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                      Cool. Just picked up my 24kg kb in Friday. Was worried that I'd gone to heavy to start with. Have done a few sets of swings with it over the past couple of days and planning will start the 100 swings tomorrow. Working on my tgu form with a foot of 4x4 at the moment and have the balance of a dead squirrel on my left side.
                      Haha....my problem with the getup is I'm hypermobile at the elbowes (read that they lock out at 200 degrees rather than a strong 180). So I gotta pay special attention to keeping the elbow strong and straight.

I took about a week to work up to the 100 swings. I have a left shoulder issue thats slowing my progress to the one arm variety, so I'm just gonna work on my power with the two arm swing for at least a month. Hopefully working the getup, two arm swings, and "easy strength" consistently will get me what I need to do the one arm swing soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        I can't say for sure if it helps recovery. Soreness is not well understood, but it's not completely negatively correlated with recovery (and despite what you may read elsewhere has absolutely nothing to do with lactic acid). But it might help you not be sore. Post-workout contrast showers are another bit of voodoo you might want to experiment with if soreness is overwhelming, but it should cease to be so once you're accustomed to your program.
                        Exactly. I've had great success with an icy winter swim followed by a scalding shower. Warming up and down with a bike is also something that helps on volume days for legs. Rowing machines, have not noticed a positive or negative benefit for soreness, same with the arm cycle thing. Your results may be better gergirl, and it can't hurt to try.

Soreness, as you've said, is really weird. I can lift like a beast and not be sore the next day at all, then lift like a wimp and move like an octogenarian the next two days. In the words of Kelly Bundy, the mind wobbles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                          Exactly. I've had great success with an icy winter swim followed by a scalding shower. Warming up and down with a bike is also something that helps on volume days for legs. Rowing machines, have not noticed a positive or negative benefit for soreness, same with the arm cycle thing. Your results may be better gergirl, and it can't hurt to try.

Soreness, as you've said, is really weird. I can lift like a beast and not be sore the next day at all, then lift like a wimp and move like an octogenarian the next two days. In the words of Kelly Bundy, the mind wobbles.
                          Do like I feel
                          Today: BW circuit and a good stretching and Yoga afterwards.
                          Going for a short walk in the afternoon.

Comment

• Goblet squats, glute bridges, and halos for warmup.

2x5
                            Deadlift (semi sumo)
                            Squat (still in the smith for now)
                            OHP (dumbells)
                            Chins (45)

Done this workout 5x this week. Did the 100 swings and getups 3x as well. Dunno if I can keep up this pace of volume, but I'm shooting for 40 days of this sort of work. I will be making slight variations to the movements every two weeks (going from sumo to traditional deadlift, back squat to front squat, dumbell to barbell OHP...ect.). The weights are gonna stay light (think 70-80% of 5RM) and I'll be working on bar speed/power and just really grooving the movements. At the end I'll retest my 3 rep maxes (too much of a wuss to 1RM these days). So we will see where that leads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              Goblet squats, glute bridges, and halos for warmup.

2x5
                              Deadlift (semi sumo)
                              Squat (still in the smith for now)
                              OHP (dumbells)
                              Chins (45)

Done this workout 5x this week. Did the 100 swings and getups 3x as well. Dunno if I can keep up this pace of volume, but I'm shooting for 40 days of this sort of work. I will be making slight variations to the movements every two weeks (going from sumo to traditional deadlift, back squat to front squat, dumbell to barbell OHP...ect.). The weights are gonna stay light (think 70-80% of 5RM) and I'll be working on bar speed/power and just really grooving the movements. At the end I'll retest my 3 rep maxes (too much of a wuss to 1RM these days). So we will see where that leads.
                              Have you red about the 5/4/3/2/1 thing on tnation???

Comment

• Originally posted by gergirl View Post
                                Have you red about the 5/4/3/2/1 thing on tnation???
                                No I hadn't. This is coming from these two resources and Revs personal experience:

Even Easier Strength | Dan John

T NATION | The 40-Day Program

Along with the book "Simple and Sinister" by Pavel

So I'm all set for at least 40 days before I test for results. Maybe longer depending on how it's going.

Comment

Working...
                                X