Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A gym that gets rid of all racks is obsurd, and not worthy going to anyway. I did squats on smith machine yesterday first time, whilst i like how it can be useful to maintain form, i think it assists too much and just doesn't feel like the real thing. It's like putting a Ferrari body kit on your crappy old cars chassi.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Deload week day 1
      It's weird. I know the rationale behind this and I accept it on an intellectual level, but it just feels so wrong.
      It messes with your head, doesn't it? I'm never really comfortable during deloads at all.

      Monday 9th December

      Squat: 137.5kgs (302 lbs) 5x5
      Bench: 92.5 kgs (203lbs) 5x5 Felt good and got my reps up cleanly. Happy.
      Pendlay: 92.5 kgs (203lbs) 5x5

      Wednesday 11th December

      Squat: 140 kgs (308 lbs) 5x5
      Bench: 62.5 kgs (137.5 lbs) 5x5 (Never done this before. Stoked )
      Deadlift: 130.0 kgs (286lbs) 5x5

      Going light on the deadlifts because my lower back is still playing up some and I want to make sure my form is tight and metronomic when I start going heavy again. With progressive loading I'm still some distance away from my PRs, so I think it should be sweet.

      Comment


      • Yesterday I squatted, benched and pressed.

        The bench and Press went fine, it wasn't particularly heavy.

        The SQUAT on the other hand. I was planning to do 85kg today. So that would be two 20kg playes and a couple of 2.5 kg plates.

        What I didn't realize was that the bar was an extra 2.5 kg then what I had accounted for. Hit 87.5 kg. I was wondering why it so bloody heavy

        Comment


        • 30 minutes of tabata class. Which equals 6 stations of 8x20/10 with 1 minute rests between stations.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Reventon View Post
            It messes with your head, doesn't it? I'm never really comfortable during deloads at all.
            It's kind of horrible. I look forward to it when I put down a heavy set of deadlifts on 5/3/1 day, but then I hate it when it comes. Today was:

            Deadlift: 180 x 5 / 225 x 5 / 270 x 5
            Press: 75 x 5 / 85 x 5 / 100 x 5

            I still remember when the top sets would have felt heavy. I guess that's a nice, nostalgic kind of feeling. But there's something hormonal that happens when I push or pull something really heavy that just feels like it's missing.
            The Champagne of Beards

            Comment


            • Amazing Idea!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                I still remember when the top sets would have felt heavy. I guess that's a nice, nostalgic kind of feeling. But there's something hormonal that happens when I push or pull something really heavy that just feels like it's missing.
                Exactly. I equate it to that feeling you get working outdoors all day, and then getting to finally sit down. Nothing is as rewarding as that sense of being honestly exhausted (unless you count the first sip of beer or first bite of steak after this exertion). The same goes for heavy lifting in the gym.

                That feeling of honest exhaustion you get when you've truly pushed yourself to your limits is fantastic and addictive, and I think you're right that it has a lot to do with the hormonal spectrum your body is put through. There's always a sense that working within your limits is kind of wasting your time and kind of makes you a pussy, even if you know the work is essential. I guess all you can do is ignore that nagging feeling and have faith in the program.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                  Exactly. I equate it to that feeling you get working outdoors all day, and then getting to finally sit down. Nothing is as rewarding as that sense of being honestly exhausted (unless you count the first sip of beer or first bite of steak after this exertion). The same goes for heavy lifting in the gym.

                  That feeling of honest exhaustion you get when you've truly pushed yourself to your limits is fantastic and addictive, and I think you're right that it has a lot to do with the hormonal spectrum your body is put through. There's always a sense that working within your limits is kind of wasting your time and kind of makes you a pussy, even if you know the work is essential. I guess all you can do is ignore that nagging feeling and have faith in the program.
                  Yeah, I don't just have faith in Jim Wendler, I also understand the rationale behind the deload and agree that I need it (only doing it every other cycle, just hit deadlift and squat PR's last week). I just sort of have a love/hate thing going on with actually doing it.
                  The Champagne of Beards

                  Comment


                  • Bumped up my deadlifts to 50kg with my first goal being body weight 78kg, so not too far from it but i have no idea how i will progress strength wise and how long it will take to slap on another 25kg. I gotta keep telling myself that im not lifting much, which im not in all reality when i compare to what others lift for that excercise, but i am training with certain medical conditions which do hamper my progress, mainly digestive problems which limit me to an amount of food and food choices for the day.

                    Still though, im not letting it affect my ability to gain raw strength, naturally id assume some size will accompany it as i cant see how the two can be unrelated past a certain point, but i do like that i have goals now other than just packing on size and looking good for the girls, which would more than not id say lead to loss of motivation, lifting weights is about more than that. Health and strength outcomes is all im after.

                    After bodyweight target is reached (hopefully) next will be to push onwards towards a 100kg. Dame id be impressed if i manage that.

                    Was curious, are most people in here doing the 5 big lifts? I tend to do military presses, pushups+dumbell incline presses, chin/pull ups& cable pulls, deadlifts and squats as my mainstay excercises.
                    Last edited by zizou; 12-13-2013, 12:26 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Is moving houses a workout??????
                      I carried heavy (more or less) boxes down stairs up stairs and walked short ways carrying them. It took around 90 minutes strictly net.

                      Comment


                      • Got super cranky at the gym last night. Couple of tools hogged the squat rack and one pansy let his little friend queue jump on me. I got my revenge by death staring them, then loading more on my warm ups than they did on working sets

                        Squats: 142.5 kgs (appr 313 lbs) @ 5x5
                        Bench: 95kgs (210 lbs) @ 5x5
                        Pendlay: 95kgs @ 5x5

                        Gettin close to PR territory and my form feels tight. Happy

                        Comment


                        • I'm crap compared to these people.

                          Deadlifted 195 5 x 5, felt crampy and tossed my cards in right there.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

                          Comment


                          • Hey Knifegill, don't be down on yourself. None of us starts big, and there's ALWAYS someone stronger than you out there, no matter who you are

                            The important thing is that you progress and improve every time you go to the gym. Even if you can't complete a bigger challenge than last time, you can learn why and develop a new plan of attack. It's not about being the biggest dog in the yard, it's about being better than you were yesterday.

                            Comment


                            • Power Yoga and stretching after 3.5 hours of tidying up the house for our moving next week...spent about 9 hours doing this during the week. additionally to my regular job and workout... Increased appetite because of that?!

                              Comment


                              • Playing just dance gags!
                                My interesting paleo weight loss blog

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X