No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urbank's gaze is what Rippetoe prescribes. Dan Green's cervical spine cannot be said to be in a neutral position, because it's clearly in a state of slight extension. But the 12-15 feet thing refers to a conventional deadlift, which is what he's describing in the text I quoted.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by Kharnath View Post
      Here's two world class deadlifters with wildly different deadlift styles.

Conventional deadlift by Vince Urbank...

Sumo deadlift by Dan Green...

Both lifters are using a fairly neutral head position, but I don't think either of them are staring at a point 12-15 feet in front of them on the floor. According to Rippetoe, these guys must not be in a correct position where their necks can assume a normal anatomical position. I find that interesting.

Keep in mind that these guys are world class deadlifters in part because they have very decent body proportions. You'll see even more variety in your local gym, where people have suboptimal builds.
      I am not sure what you're trying to argue. Sumo and conventional produce different angles, obviously.

What does their head position have to do with what is correct? Or, are you suggesting that just because they are competitive powerlifters, it means their technique is perfect? Powerlifters also use techniques not really applicable to the general lifting population. For example, an ultra wide squat stance to better utilize a squat suit. I am more concerned with what the explanation is for doing something in a lift, than who is doing it. Neutral cervical spine makes sense to me.

Originally posted by Kharnath View Post
      ... and now I'm done with this discussion. So go ahead and get the last word - I know you want to.
      You are an odd character. You are on an internet forum, you know, discussing things with random people online, and yet you act condescending towards people discussing things with you. Maybe you should just write these things in a personal journal, that way "random internet people" won't bother you with responses.

Comment

• What??? Another Starting strength discussion about the one and only sacred way to do a deadlift invades this thread? Yeah, the way is narrow and the life short, so remember to look down and pull with a hunchback! If not, you infidel will all go to deadlift hell and RichMahogany and quikky will sit on the right hand of Rip in deadlift heaven and laugh of you all!

So dont forget to look down and pull with a hunchback if you want eternal bliss from doing deadlift, just saying:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
          the one and only sacred way to do a deadlift invades this thread? Yeah, the way is narrow and the life short, so remember to look down and pull with a hunchback! If not, you infidel will all go to deadlift hell and RichMahogany and quikky will sit on the right hand of Rip in deadlift heaven and laugh of you all!
          And while we sit in his right hand, Rip shall bicep curl us to show his deep, abiding love. Amen.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
            What??? Another Starting strength discussion about the one and only sacred way to do a deadlift invades this thread? Yeah, the way is narrow and the life short, so remember to look down and pull with a hunchback! If not, you infidel will all go to deadlift hell and RichMahogany and quikky will sit on the right hand of Rip in deadlift heaven and laugh of you all!

So don’t forget to look down and pull with a hunchback if you want eternal bliss from doing deadlift, just saying.
            Oh, Gorbag, you and your silliness. Here are a few points for you to ponder under a bridge:

1. Kyphosis.
            2. Many advanced lifters intentionally round their upper backs to reduce the moment arm between the hips and the bar. For example, here is Konstantinovs deadlifting 948lb with a rounded upper back:

Comment

• Not the best day. Failed my first squat where I had to throw the bar off my back, and it was at a fairly low weight. Don't know why I just suddenly had no drive at all. I was expecting to do 7 or 8 reps and it was on the fifth that it just couldn't come up... Oh well. I've been sleeping like crap for some days, so that could be the cause.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghshl View Post
                Not the best day. Failed my first squat where I had to throw the bar off my back, and it was at a fairly low weight. Don't know why I just suddenly had no drive at all. I was expecting to do 7 or 8 reps and it was on the fifth that it just couldn't come up... Oh well. I've been sleeping like crap for some days, so that could be the cause.
                I lost some weight last week when I was sick and failed to get even a single set of 5 squats at 315 yesterday. Ended up doing:

Chin-ups: +75 x 4,3,3
                Squat: 315 x 4 (f), 275 x 8, 225 x 12
                Press:3 x 5 x 142.5
                Deadlift: 385 x 5

Even the deadlift set was harder than it should have been. When I pulled 375 2 weeks ago, the RPE was probably a 6, while this was a solid 8.

I blame the scale for saying 159. Only halfway back up from the 10 pounds I lost in a week of being away for a wedding and getting sick.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• TRAINING – SQUAT DAY

Deadlift: 1x5x110 –
                  Squat 5x60/65/67.5/70/70/70
                  Leg Curl: 12xWeight5 (3x12xWeight6)
                  Leg Extension: 4x12x Weight 10
                  Hanging Leg Raises: 4x15
                  Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                  https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                  MFP Food Diary:
                  http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                  (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

• Incline dumbbell bench press supersetting with pull ups. 3-5 sets. Then dumbbell squats 3 sets. done. Full body and easiest on my shoulders. Other days I jump rope and box step a 18 inch box. Pretty simple. 25-30 minutes for both.

Comment

• TRAINING – OHP DAY

OHP (1x10x20/30) (5x35/37.5/40) (3x5x45) (2x3x47.5) - PR
                      Barbell Row: 4x5x40 1x5x42.5
                      Bench: (3x8x62.5) – PERFECT!
                      Dip: 3x10x16
                      Barbell Curl: 3x10x12.5
                      Hanging Leg Raises: 3x20
                      Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                      https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                      MFP Food Diary:
                      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                      (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

• Yesterday = half hour walk to the stores... climbing up stairs while chasing after my too cute kittens.
                        Today = tennis for an hour and probably playing with the kittens again. (I swear I ran up more stairs in the last few weeks since I got them, than I have done the last 10 years)
                        Tomorrow = lunges (body weight), squats (body weight), back strength training, planking 3x 30 seconds.... for now that will cause muscle ache enough...
                        My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

• I like the idea of arms inside the knees for deadlift. That's what I would have tried if I hadn't watched videos first. Is there something I lose by bringing my arms to the inside?

This AM at sunrise, one hour HIIT bike ride. Longer than usual, but there were a lot of long, flat stretches since I went a new way. I consider those resting periods...
                          Last edited by Knifegill; 09-12-2013, 12:43 AM.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• 38th birthday today.
                            What better than squats for celebration?

2x5x225
                            1x3x270
                            3x2x315
                            Few but ripe.

Comment

• Military press:
                              3 X 37.5kg
                              3 X 42.5kg
                              8 x 47.5kg (AMRAP set)
                              3 x 50kg (joker 1)
                              3 x 52.5kg (joker 2)
                              3 x 55kg (joker 3)
                              12 x 37.5kg (backoff set)

Accessory work was paused bench 5x10 @ 50kg and bent over rows at 5x10 @ 45kg

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                                I like the idea of arms inside the knees for deadlift. That's what I would have tried if I hadn't watched videos first. Is there something I lose by bringing my arms to the inside?
                                I think you can lift more weight if you do a true conventional deadlift. Bringing your arms to the inside makes for a strange conventional/sumo hybrid. You'll get comfortable doing it the normal way soon enough, but if you insist on being a rebel, it won't kill you.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X