No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided to move from a 7 day AB workout to a 10 day ABC program (well..."program".... of my own design of course).

So today was accessory and body weight day. Almost like active rest. Still little/no rest between sets.

20 pullups
    20 dips
    muscle ups till failure (6)
    walking lunges with 80 lbs x 10
    curls 70lbs to failure
    pushdowns ....stack said 150 so used it all... till failure
    squats 135x10 and lateral raises with 20's to failure supersetted for 2 sets.... did rest pause at the bottom ATG with squats. Really just gonna do this for like a month with light weights and make sure all is right with the world.
    walking lunges with 80lb x 10
    hanging leg raises x 12

Most of these done in the BBS vein of slow controlled reps. Was actually quite invigorating rather than "brutal", so I like it as a breakup between my A and C workout.

Next.... went home and 2 mile walk with dog.

Later I'm scheduled to join my wife at her 1 hour yoga class. I have not eaten yet today though. So pushing from a 24 to a 26 hour fast may suck. I dunno.

Comment

• Friday 26/07/2013

TRAINING – WORKOUT B
      Squat (5x55) (5x60) (5x65) (1x5x70) (1x5x72.5) (1x5x65) – NEED TO WORK ON FORM
      Deadlift (1x10x65) (1x5x75) (1x5x85) (1x5x95)
      OHP (5x5x42.5)
      Row (5x5x42.5)
      Bench (3x8x55)
      Curl ( 3x8xBar + 10kg) ( 3x8xBar + 12.5kg)
      Leg Raises (2x15) (1x20)

I'm gonna try for the 100kg (220lb) deadlift next Wednesday, which is a pretty big thing for me - may not be for reps, may be only once, but I'm still gonna do it.
      Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
      https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
      MFP Food Diary:
      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
      (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

• My workout of the weekend is:

3 nights on the Long Trail of VT.

6 pounds of meat, 4 pounds of fruit and veg. 3 completely crazy hiking mates.

It's 5:50am Friday. Moving out
        "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

• Squats: 235# 5x5
          Hang Clean: 135# 3x2; 145# 3x1; 155# 2x2
          Clean Pull: 185# 3x4
          Stiff Legged Deadlift: 185# 5x1,; 200# 5x2

Oh man, it's not that strength goes down in keto necessarily, but my rate of force development and recovery in between sets is dismal right now. This was a tough one.

Comment

• BBS/Superslow at TruFit in Denver:
            Leg extension to failure up to 80# 2.5 min
            Static leg curl 30 sec 50% effort, 30 sec 75%, 30 sec "100%"
            Back machine 3 min
            Leg press 200# 2:12 to failure
            Lat 145# 2+ min to failure
            Chest press 90 2+ min to failure
            Seated row 55# 2 min static hold (owwwwww)
            Stupid ab machine 2 min (basically already burned, this one is not progressing)

Starting to plateau, not gaining as quickly after 11 weekly sessions. Not surprised, strength gains don't keep going up forever.

Also have been doing 20 gm of whey and 5 gm BCAA 45 min before and right after workout in one of those shaker bottles with the wire ball in it. This is an uncontrolled experiment of course but it seems like my workout intensity is up and soreness the next couple of days is way down.

Possible plans:
            1. Take a week off.
            2. Cut back the number of exercises per week and do a more alternating plan.
            3. Split into 2/week (not my favorite, I'm a busy doc and the 1/week plan saves a lot of time)
            4. Lengthen interval to 10 days, see what happens.
            5. Go to a 90 second rather than 3 minute to failure schedule, possibly with other changes as above.
            6. Rearrange order of exercises. Do upper body first rather than big muscles first (as I recall Body By Science recommended this?) By the time I get to rows I'm pretty much gone from all the previous work.

Also will get re-measured to see what muscle gains might have occurred.

Appreciate anyone's experience about making changes. I'm pleased with results so far, having doubled virtually every weight in 11 weeks and obviously don't want to over tinker with the program. It's been very efficient of my time.
            10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
            Now: low 150's, 33" waist
            Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Comment

• This is my workout every Friday. Usually from 7:30pm - 2:00am.
              The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmsmall View Post
                BBS/Superslow at TruFit in Denver:
                Back machine 3 min

Starting to plateau, not gaining as quickly after 11 weekly sessions. Not surprised, strength gains don't keep going up forever.

Also have been doing 20 gm of whey and 5 gm BCAA 45 min before and right after workout in one of those shaker bottles with the wire ball in it. This is an uncontrolled experiment of course but it seems like my workout intensity is up and soreness the next couple of days is way down.

Possible plans:
                1. Take a week off.
                2. Cut back the number of exercises per week and do a more alternating plan.
                3. Split into 2/week (not my favorite, I'm a busy doc and the 1/week plan saves a lot of time)
                4. Lengthen interval to 10 days, see what happens.
                5. Go to a 90 second rather than 3 minute to failure schedule, possibly with other changes as above.
                6. Rearrange order of exercises. Do upper body first rather than big muscles first (as I recall Body By Science recommended this?) By the time I get to rows I'm pretty much gone from all the previous work.

Also will get re-measured to see what muscle gains might have occurred.

Appreciate anyone's experience about making changes. I'm pleased with results so far, having doubled virtually every weight in 11 weeks and obviously don't want to over tinker with the program. It's been very efficient of my time.
                I played a lot with things and I would recommend you give numbers 5 and/or 6 a shot first.

I had a failure zone that I started with in the 90-120 range and dropped it to 60-90 with pretty good result. I think much like standard periodized training its good to hit a different rep range for a while... then change it again. Seeing that your going well over 120seconds in most lifts you would use quite a bit more weight in the 60-90 range and likely shock the muscles quite a bit in the process.

Switching the upper/lower thing.... I tried to alternate so that I was hitting different muscles fresh every other week.

I had also taken 14 days before workouts and come back stronger than ever. So this is a fine way to break a plateau as well.

All and all I'd vote for the change in rep/TUL range. See what your trainer thinks I guess. I did all my tinkering without the benefit of a person trained in this methodology so it was all based on books and blogs.
                Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-26-2013, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• 3 Mile tempo run this morning. This afternoon walked to the gym and did shoulders and arms.

Seated DB Press 1X15 -30lbs, 1X12- 35lbs, 1X10 - 40lbs., 1X8 - 45lbs., 1X6 - 50lbs.
                  Standing DB laterals - 1X15 - 20lbs., 1X12 -25lbs., 1X10 - 30lbs., 1X15 - 20lbs.
                  Bent Over DB Laterals - 4X10 -25lbs.
                  1 Super Set - Standing DB Press 15X30lbs, Lateral Raises 10X25lbs., Alt. Forward DB Raises 10X25lbs. Bent over DB laterals 10X25lbs.
                  Scott Curls 95lbs super setted with Triceps Pressdowns 90lbs. 10 X 4 sets.
                  Burnout set of 15 strict DB curls at 30lbs super setted with Triceps BB Pushbacks 100lbs X10
                  Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• Open water swim around the island (about 2km) and then some hIIT/core work. Tired ... Need rest day tomorrow!

Comment

• Bench Press: 200 lbs 1x3 , 190lbs, 2x5
                      Standing Overhead Press: 115lbs, 3x5
                      ATG Squats: 195lbs, 3x5
                      Power Cleans: 135lbs, 3x5

Comment

• Deadlift: 1x167.5kg (~370lbs) new PR
                        Front squat: 1x85 Technically also new PR, but only because I've just started on front squats recently.
                        Bench: 1x84kg. With a narrower grip than usual.
                        Rows: 6x5x50kg supersetted with the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmsmall View Post
                          BBS/Superslow at TruFit in Denver:
                          Back machine 3 min
                          I have no idea what I just read

Today I went down to the stream/rivery thing at the bottom of my yard, jumped in, and ran/walked/jumped/swam/climbed along it till I could go no further. Takes about an hr. Along the way are various challenges. For instance, do I go in that cold deep water or do I climb the tree beside it and swing to the other side? Decisions decisions. Climbed and swung along many a tree, crawled(sometimes actually under the water) to get under barbed wire fencing, navigated various dangerous heights to find a good route and generally got stratched, stung and poked alot. Did alot of pushing, pulling, crawling, squatting through the woody areas. When I got to the end, I had to climb up a massive railing to get across. I used just my arms for extra challenge.

Then I got to woody area. Sprinted up the hills when I felt like, quickly grabbing onto to things when I slipped, used the trees to hoik myself up levels, climbed rocks, ran across fields, did pull ups on tree branches. Have a range of cuts and scratches to show for my efforts. Good time though, took about 3 hrs overall, but I did stop for a while to sleep under a tree.

Comment

• 8-mile easy pace run.
                            Standing OH Press: 115lbs, 3x5
                            Back Squats: 205lbs, 3x5
                            Calf Raises: 385lbs, 3x10
                            Power Cleans: 115lbs, 3x5
                            Bike Inervals: 10 Sets of 40:10 Sprints

Comment

• TRAINING– WORKOUT A
                              • Bench (1x10x40) (1x8x55) (1x5x60) (1x5x62.5) (3x5x65)
                              • Squat (5x55) (5x60) (5x5x65) ---- Yes, go for extra time on the Squat
                              • OHP (5x5x42.5)
                              • Row (5x5x42.5)
                              • Dips (3x10x12)
                              • Leg Raises (2x15) (1x20)
                              Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                              https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                              MFP Food Diary:
                              http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                              (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

• Yesterday I went on a 5 mile hike through ankle to knee deep water. Have been wearing Vibrams and crocs for the last few months and realized wearing shoes while hiking sucks. Ended up taking my shoes of and going barefoot the last mile and a half. Those shoes get heavy when full of mud and water.

Comment

Working...
                                X