No announcement yet.

What is your workout today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handstand pushups, and bike sprints (great for no joint impact exercise).

Comment

• Originally posted by primal_jessjane View Post
      Adamm, I'll be following quite a few "leg" days in my next program... I'm wondering just how much leg and glute work I can stuff into one week without it compromising my gains. ;-) Most days, I used to leave the gym feeling like I got run over by a bus. I'm not sure that was necessarily "beneficial" at the time, although I did build a lot of leg mass. They say "intense! intense!" but to what magnitude....?

"Core & Calm" Yoga tonight, meaning lots of static poses, vinyasas, pilate-type core work.
      I'm no expert, so I don't know what advice to offer :-D

I've been told by people no more than twice a week per bodypart (at most) if you have very intense splits, but I can't verify. The only thing I can say is that I'm doing once a week per bodypart splits (5 day split) and it feels "enough" and I'm making good gains in both strength and mass, but my sessions are really really really really intense

--Me

Comment

• Five Rounds:

Side to Side Push Ups x 10
        Flutter Kicks x 20
        Chin Ups x 10
        Kettlebell Swings x 10
        24" Box Jumps x 10

11:36

Two Mile Treadmill Run 13:12 (new PR)
        "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
        Quote on the Father's Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by adamm View Post

I've been told by people no more than twice a week per bodypart (at most) if you have very intense splits, but I can't verify. The only thing I can say is that I'm doing once a week per bodypart splits (5 day split) and it feels "enough" and I'm making good gains in both strength and mass, but my sessions are really really really really intense

--Me
          You're right on this one. If you are doing body part splits, two days a week max. If you are going really intense, or are older (like myself), One day a week is usually best, as you'll need more time to recover.
          "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
          Quote on the Father's Sword

Comment

Betorq, I read the Convict Conditioning book a few summers ago and was very intriguied! I did the bodyweight only thing for months and months. I keep thinking I want to get back to that, I was actually leaner, but I love being stronger from lifting heavier weights. I've been on Wendler 5/3/1 with the back squat, bridge, OHP, and more recently the front squat for over a year now. I made some great gains! I'm very proud of myself!
            I modified CC as I thought that for me, I have been doing decades of full body conditioning: 1st as a wrestler in High School, then Marital arts & Ashtanga Yoga & to my thinking it didn't make sense & would have been b-b-b-boring to start w/ the CC beginner cycles on most, not all of the exercises. So I found what I could do that was a bit of a challenge & started myself there & built up reps. It's working, & I'm resting more days, doing CC & some favorite lift moves 4-5 days a week, alternating upper/lower & swimming about the same 5 days a week, slower for the 4 days, sprinting all out once a week as per PB. I walk outdoors every day, sometimes evenings after dinner too. I've lost weight, look & feel better, am leaner, with more muscle definition. Been IFing & outright fasting, 4 days a week ago, & doing 2 day fast every week now & liking it a lot!
            Originally posted by adamm View Post

--Me
            At 1st I was doing free weights lifting 5-6 days a week, alternating upper & lower & writing everything down in my fitness journal. But since reading more up on the subject & have mostly segued to Convict Conditioning, I've taken more rest days off from that schedule. Am testing the twice a week only for chin ups this week, as I was not seeing rep gains at all by doing them 3-4 day a week. Rest I think is the key, of course doing these exercises very slowly & not cheating is too! The only thing I do fast is the bicycle kicks & once a week lap sprints in the pool.
            Last edited by Betorq; 09-14-2012, 12:34 PM.
            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• I would do lower body 3x a week... Say, Monday would be 3x5-8 heavy squats, followed by 2-4 lower body exercises with a higher rep range. Yep, just about killed me, but I did grow some considerable mass.

http://crossfitatlanta.typepad.com/C...kill_Stand.pdf FUN!!!! New goals. I've been going back and forth with programming (after being on Wendler for over a year,) and I get too caught up in the little details of things. I think I will go back to basics and just go by "feel"... I made some pretty good gains through intuition as well.

Today:
              Sprinting like a wild woman through the streets of Maine! Including lots of hills, leaping on and off rocks, lots of pivoting.
              +
              20#x8x3 single-arm DB clean and press
              25#x15x3 single-arm DB snatch
              2x20 V-ups
              3x12 knees to elbows, seated
              3x30s "glute" plank (tuck the tailbone)
              2x50 donkey kicks, + 10sec isohold (insanity)
              1x100 bridges, including single-leg and 30sec isohold (even more insanity)

Insanity can be fun in moderation, no? ;-)
              On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

• 5/3/1 Press
                75 dips
                50 chins
                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• 1.5 mile jog
                  10x 20 sec sprints, 20 sec recovery

Hand release push ups
                  Squats
                  Kb swings

Comment

• 10 pull ups
                    15 bavarian squats (each leg)
                    50 push ups
                    90 second plank
                    30 second side plank

repeat same thing, only with 10 chin ups this time

30 burpees (fuck burpees)

about 6 hours of yard work

I'm exhausted and hurt all over right now

Comment

• Squat, Bench, Weighted Pull Ups, Shoulder Press, Rows.......all one set to failure. Been two weeks since my last session so of course I was stronger and increased the weights for most of these. Trying to keep TUL between 60-90 seconds and did quite well. Didn't add weight to the Pull ups but did eak out an extra 20 seconds TUL (thats one full rep). I'm good for at least a week .

Walked the dog for 3 miles right after. Still havent eaten (17 or so hours)....probably will just extend it to dinner.

Comment

• Betorq, I've read that doing chin-ups to failure is not reccomended but doing them as much as possible through the week is a pretty good way to gain reps. No? I actually got up to 13 chin-ups at one point in my life, which is when I was focusing on them A LOT and did them almost everyday in various forms.. slow, fast, high reps, low reps, ladders. It's unfortunate that it's hard to be super awesome in ALL areas of fitness... For instance, now my chin-ups suck but my back squat has really skyrocketed. Give and take, I guess. ;-)

I still don't know how you guys think fasting feels good. It screws me all up. I'm wondering if it's because I'm a female. Even when I was at my best and feeling awesome, I might fast for 16-18hrs but not everyday, and even that would be a little obnoxious. I love eating as soon as I wake up!

Very sore from those new exercises yesterday, and not super motivated to do anything. Went for a ~45min bikeride for about 7-8ish miles. Perhaps going for a 1-2hr walk with a friend later. Salmon for lunch in a light maple syrup glaze, can't get any better! ;-)
                        On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

• Just got back from the gym..Fast walked on treadmill at 7 incline and 4 speed..325 calories burned and walked 2.42 miles..Then went and did 15 pull ups and 50 crunches...weekend is my off days so i go very light and dont touch any weights
                          Started Primal November 20, 2011
                          Slipped from Christmas-New Years
                          January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
                          Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

Comment

Betorq, I've read that doing chin-ups to failure is not reccomended but doing them as much as possible through the week is a pretty good way to gain reps. No? .....
                            I'm not Betorq, but since I do chins till failure I thought I might give this a crack. I only do ONE workout a week were all my lifts are to complete failure and find it is the best way to stimulate the muscles to gain strength. The rest of my work (if i do any) is not till failure and would usually consist of higher reps and body weight work.

The only problem with going to failure with pullups....or anything for that matter is break in form. You have to slow the rep down and be sure to keep the stress on the muscles involved and resist the urge to squirm or kip to get just one more rep. If you get a half rep...cant move further....but squeeze as hard as you can for 5-10 extra seconds to try.....that is failure and the set is done. No leg swinging or squirming.

Comment

• walked 3 miles in my 30lb vest. going for a swim now
                              Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                              Before and after pics
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                              Primal Sucess Story
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                              Primal Journal
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

• Originally posted by bennettc View Post
                                walked 3 miles in my 30lb vest. Going for a swim now
                                omg take off the vest you'll drown

Comment

Working...
                                X