• Show
Clear All

• Walked the dog 2.5 miles

Deadlift 10-10-10
    Dumbell Rows 3x10 each side
    Bench Press 5x2
    Pull Ups 3x10
    Dips 3x10

Lower Back felt really good. Will take a day off from barbell work before attempting light oly lifting.
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

Comment

• So I actually have a question but don't want to start a new thread so thought I'd post in here, hoping someone can help me out?

I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle, uni student & desk job. I walk to uni which adds up to 2.5hrs walking per week, but other than that I have to rely on the gym for activity. (Can't walk to work cause it's literally 17km / 11miles each way & anyway my timetable wouldnt allow it because I start work shortly after finishing uni :P)

I go to the gym 2-4 times a week, lately it's usually 4 times. My weekly routine is normally something like:

Sunday (leg day):
      50 mins cardio (150bpm or lower ~75% max heart rate)
      Leg press (3 sets of 3x12)
      Calf raise (3 sets of 2x20)
      Leg extension (3 sets of 3x12)
      Leg curl (3 sets of 3x12)

Tuesday (Arm/chest day):
      50 mins cardio (150bpm or lower ~75% max heart rate)
      Bicep curl (4 sets of 3x15)
      Lateral raises (2 sets of 2x12) (only because I'm so shit at them and literally can't do any more lol)
      Chest press (3 sets of 3x12)
      Tricep cable pull down (3 sets of 3x12)

Thursday:
      1 hour cardio (150bpm or lower ~75% max heart rate)

Friday:
      1 hour cardio (150bpm or lower ~75% max heart rate)

In the future I plan on having a stomach/back day but not for another 10-20lb lost or so.

Basically, all of my exercises involve dumbbells or machines. This is because of a few things, and won't be changing for the next wee while, but in the future I plan on doing body-only stuff like what Mark suggests.

My question/s is/are sort of vague, but am I doing too much cardio? I don't want to go to the gym more than 4 times a week. I feel like the cardio is necessary though because my basal metabolic rate isn't that high and with my sedentary lifestyle it's hard to burn calories any other way. I'm trying to make exercise more of my lifestyle e.g. asking friends to go for walks in the weekend etc but I'm basically at the maximum point for what I can incorporate into my daily life.
      Secondly, the resistance exercises I'm doing... are they good for women? Lol I feel like that's a stupid question but honestly I get overwhelmed when I google various exercises and really don't know what ones would suit someone like me. I have picked these ones based on ease of technique because I'm not exactly a graceful swan and barbells and other more complicated things tend to leave me sore in not a good way.

If anyone can offer some advice that'd be great. Keep in mind I'm a beginner and a female so honestly don't try and explain anything overly complicated because I'm too shy in a male-dominated gym to try anything fancy any way, as lame as that sounds. I am pondering having a PT session once a week mainly for technique and motivation, does that seem like a good idea?
      Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
      Bench: 45kg/99lb
      Squat: 100kg/220lb
      Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
      My journal

Comment

• Leaving tomorrow for a 65 mile four-day hike through Central Oregon (McKenzie Pass to Timothy Lake, if you know it). Goat Rocks wilderness in Washington was my original plan but apparently it's all under snow still.
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• Originally posted by nixxy View Post
          So I actually have a question but don't want to start a new thread so thought I'd post in here, hoping someone can help me out? I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle, uni student & desk job. I walk to uni which adds up to 2.5hrs walking per week, but other than that I have to rely on the gym for activity. (Can't walk to work cause it's literally 17km / 11miles each way & anyway my timetable wouldnt allow it because I start work shortly after finishing uni :P)
          In the future I plan on having a stomach/back day but not for another 10-20lb lost or so.
          Basically, all of my exercises involve dumbbells or machines. This is because of a few things, and won't be changing for the next wee while, but in the future I plan on doing body-only stuff like what Mark suggests.
          My question/s is/are sort of vague, but am I doing too much cardio? I don't want to go to the gym more than 4 times a week. I feel like the cardio is necessary though because my basal metabolic rate isn't that high and with my sedentary lifestyle it's hard to burn calories any other way. I'm trying to make exercise more of my lifestyle e.g. asking friends to go for walks in the weekend etc but I'm basically at the maximum point for what I can incorporate into my daily life.
          Secondly, the resistance exercises I'm doing... are they good for women? Lol I feel like that's a stupid question but honestly I get overwhelmed when I google various exercises and really don't know what ones would suit someone like me. I have picked these ones based on ease of technique because I'm not exactly a graceful swan and barbells and other more complicated things tend to leave me sore in not a good way. If anyone can offer some advice that'd be great. Keep in mind I'm a beginner and a female so honestly don't try and explain anything overly complicated because I'm too shy in a male-dominated gym to try anything fancy any way, as lame as that sounds. I am pondering having a PT session once a week mainly for technique and motivation, does that seem like a good idea?
          Yes, yes &...yes. PT once a week for at least 2-3 weeks possibly more, might be just the thing to sort you out....
          "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
          "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
          "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• Three Part Cardio:
            Walked the dog 2 mile
            Straight Ellyptical (elevation 10, resistance 5, s/m 210) 20:00
            Treadmill Run - 20:00 (2.54 miles)

Comment

• Today I went for a half mile mild pace walk. Encountered a river, stopped and sat down Grok style. I absorbed the beauty. Skipped a few rocks, challenging my left untrained rock skipper arm. Walked quater mile to find a hilly 50 meter strip. It was rich soil with weeds and grass confidently sticking out everywhere, within the 50 meters was uplifted land to leap over or take that last stride and get some good air. Felt so natural to sprint in such conditions. I even obtained a spear-like piece of wood and held on to it as if I was chasing down my meal. I did all this barefoot and in a 26 hr fasted state. I sprinted 5x , down the route as 1 up the route is 2 and so on....

Now for the FEAST
              Last edited by Bare; 07-29-2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Walked the dog 2 miles

Power Cleans 5x5
                Push Press 5-5-5-5-5
                Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5

Comment

• Single arm swings with 12kg kettlebell, 25 each side.
                  Two-arm swings with 20kg kettlebell, three sets of 25.

If there's one thing I have discovered, it is that kettlebell swings don't burn fat, they napalm it.
                  Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

• Morning: 6x50 two-handed kettlebell swings, 5x12 pullups, 10k run.

Evening: 10 set tabata with two-handed kettlebell swing, 3x5 Bench Press, 3x5 Parrell Back Squats, 3x5 Standing Overhead Press,
                    10 set tabata of stationary bike intervals.

Comment

• Cross fit this am: "Helen" WOD.
                      walked 4 miles this evening.

Comment

• Back on the training path after a bout with the flu,

Bashed out 2200m in various sets and drills in the swimming pool at squad this morning after almost 2 weeks off, arms were toast half way thru.

But the best part was a 600m swim set in the middle of the session which is my sprint race distance. I done it with no rests but slow. Now know I can swim the distance (all ways new i would be able) time to work on increasing the pace.

Cheers
                        "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

• Today:
                          21 Back Squat 225 lbs
                          42 GDH Sit-Ups
                          15 Back Squats 225 lbs
                          30 GHD Sit-Ups
                          9 Back Squats 225 lbs
                          18 GHD Sit Ups

Took about 12 minutes

Sunday:
                          4 Rounds
                          4 x Hand Stand Push-Ups
                          8 x Dead Lift (225 lbs)
                          12 x Wall Ball (20 lbs)
                          16 x Pull-Ups

14:17
                          "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

Comment

• Today 1.5 mile dog walk (just a quick one).

This evening 6 mile sprint cycle....first half mile on slight incline, next 1.5 miles on a 45-50 degree incline. Either on the seat the whole way to hammer my quads or off the pedals to hammer the calves.
                            Rest of the ride on slight inclines/declines (theres no flat road where I live haha).

Richard
                            It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

• Tonight was Steve Maxwells kettle bell 22min work out. *Steve Maxwell Strength & Conditioning

Done with a 16kg bell

Minutes 1 and 2:
                              Around the Body Pass.*
                              Minutes 3 and 4:
                              Halos.*
                              Minutes 5 and 6:
                              Figure 8s.
                              Minute 7:
                              Good Morning Stretch.*
                              Minute 8:
                              Windmill, left arm.*
                              Minute 9:
                              Squatting Around Body Pass.*
                              Minute 10:
                              Windmill, right arm.
                              Minute 11:
                              Squatting Around Body Pass.
                              Minute 12:
                              Single Arm Swings, left arm.
                              Minute 13:
                              Turkish Get-Ups, left arm.
                              Minute 14:
                              Single arm swings
                              Minute 15:*
                              Turkish Get-Ups, right arm.
                              Minute 16:
                              Side Lunge.*
                              Minutes 17 and 18:*
                              Snatch.*
                              Minutes 19 and 20.*
                              Clean and Press*
                              Minute 21:
                              Swing-Catch-Squat:*
                              Minute 22.
                              Deck Squats.

All done with a 16 kg KB. Nice workout got a good sweat up and was challenged with the weight. Need to look at the windmills as I wasn't doing them right.
                              "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

• Nice my friend. How do you progress this....Go for more reps/Use heavier weight?

Richard
                                It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

Working...
                                X