Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you improve running endurance without "chronic cardio"??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i always do start out slowly and go to a jog just above walking speed, after maybe a mile or so, i start breathing heavier and my ankles start killing! i know it's kind of a dumb thing to post, and i should just run, but i was just looking for some starter tips because i absolutely hate being one of the people who has to fall out of formation on the company run. thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by breetbree View Post
      i usually do 1-2 ten minute sprint sessions each week, and a lot of walking, but i can not run far at all. my national guard recruiter told me to start out slowly jogging a half mile, 3 times per week to start with and build my way up to 3/4 miles and so on. i'm going to have to do so much running in my future, so does it matter if i start doing it right now??
      Does it hurt? Do you run out of breath? What is making you stop?

I agree: just go running. Walk 5 minutes; run 2 minutes until it feels good. Walk 5 minutes; run 5 minutes until it feels good. And so on. At some point you are going to feel like you are pushing yourself. I guess I wonder if you just stop running when it feels like you are pushing...

And make sure you have decent shoes. I enjoy running so much more once I went with minimalist shoes. Ditched the orthodics and now my knee pain is also minimal. I don't like running in FiveFingers for some reason, but I do like Vibram technology. My favorites thus far are Merrell Dash Glove (women's)
      sigpic
      Age 48
      Start date: 7-5-12
      5'3"
      121lbs
      GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
      Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

PHaselow, it's a little bit of both. some times it's because i get out of breath and other are from my ankles hurting really bad. i don't know if something's wrong with me or what, my feet for some reason naturally point outward instead of straight and i don't know if that's what's causing my ankle pain or not.

Comment

Breath with your steps. Left right left right:in in out out. Always change on your left stride. Once ur good enough u can go from in in out out in in out out to iiiinnnn ooouutt iiiinnn ooouutt

Make sense?

Comment

Ah, the hurting ankles. That can happen to me. I don't know if it is tightness or bad shoes or my scoliosis or what.

I did find that changing from running shoes or cross training shoes to minimalist technology shoes really helped the ankle thing.

Do you have a dedicated running shoe store near you? Even if you aren't going to buy new shoes, have them analyze your gait on the treadmill. You might be surprised at what they tell you. Some places actually have running classes to teach you how not to do things like heel strike (my nemesis).

Not all of us are gifted or natural runners. Some need to be taught. I definitely benefited from help.
            sigpic
            Age 48
            Start date: 7-5-12
            5'3"
            121lbs
            GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
            Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Yes, of course you can improve your running without "chronic cardio". You just need to Set up a minimum target for your running and run slow at first then try to increase the target and speed with passage of time. Avoid smoking if you do or any other drug intake. You will surly improve your running.
              Last edited by Waugh; 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

What I used to get into running. Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

Comment

Working...
                X