PBF, suck at it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBF, suck at it

Ok, I've done the 4 exercises Mark recommends, pushups, chinup, planks and squats.

I'm pathetic and only doing the beginer's ones.

I've done it twice now with lots of rest between. (days)

I can only do 30 wall pushs, 20 2 legged assist chinups, 35 squats(full ones) and 75 sec plank on my knees.

Should I be doing these every other day, every 3rd day etc etc to build myself up?

Any advice I should be doing to get better at it would be most greatly appreciated.

Ty
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

I think you are being too hard on yourself. Just keep at it and you will see dramatic results I'm sure. You are doing the right thing if you are sticking to the plan, I wouldn't do any more than the two strength sessions a week (maybe three at the most).

Comment

Originally posted by ez2cy View Post

I'm pathetic and only doing the beginer's ones.

Ty
      Choose your words carefully. You'll never outwardly fix a self that you inwardly loathe.

Everyone has to start somewhere. The beginning is a good place. Don't judge yourself on where you start...celebrate how far you go. Maybe next week you'll do *one more* than the week before.
      Sandra
      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Like they said, gotta start somewhere and for a beginner I'd say those numbers are quite good. Just keep at it, listen to your body and most importantly enjoy it.

Comment

Years ago a fiddle player gave me good advice (which I use for fiddle playing and for anything else in life.) She told me you must Embrace Your Suckiness. It's the only way to get better.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

You may find it useful to watch some "transformation" vids on youtube. There are a lot of people that were morbidly obese, disabled, etc, that started out painfully slowly and are now rocking Tough Mudders, Spartan Races, etc. If they can do it, you with your starting stats will definitely get there. Cheers!

Comment

Those numbers of reps seem high. Why dont you go to the next level hardness and drop down reps. I dont know PBF so maybe you are supposed to do more before getting harder but I would go for it. 30 wall push ups is lots. Go to counter ones or whatever is next!! It'll make you feel liek you are getting somewhere.

Comment

Thanks guys/gals.

Snoop; according to Mark, Wall push's I should be doing 50. Pullups 20, Squat's 50, Planks Hand knee, 90 seconds. I'm not even trying the side planks (not sure I can ever do them).

I did notice that I'm suppose to be at arms length from the wall for the push, my feet have been over a foot more than that.

Sandra; It would appear that you are Secret follower. Funny because following it as well, I should know better...LOL. I do love myself from within, just get frustrated when something like athletic ability I use to have easily is now a chore. Never had to work to do this stuff before.
                55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                Chest; 41.5
                Waist; 42
                Hips; 40
                Thigh; 22.5
                Calf; 15
                Forearm; 11.5
                Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                Chest; 42
                Waist; 42.5
                Hips; 39
                Thigh; 23
                Calf; 15
                Forearm; 11.5
                Neck; 16

Comment

I would do one a day...it takes time.
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
                    Thanks guys/gals.

Snoop; according to Mark, Wall push's I should be doing 50. Pullups 20, Squat's 50, Planks Hand knee, 90 seconds. I'm not even trying the side planks (not sure I can ever do them).

I did notice that I'm suppose to be at arms length from the wall for the push, my feet have been over a foot more than that.

Sandra; It would appear that you are Secret follower. Funny because following it as well, I should know better...LOL. I do love myself from within, just get frustrated when something like athletic ability I use to have easily is now a chore. Never had to work to do this stuff before.
                    Hmm I'm not sure you necessarily have to get the max number of reps before moving to the next challenging level. I mean, can you do a single regular pushup? Or a knee pushup? I think you should start with the HARDEST level you can do, and do as many as you can of those, before going to an easier level.

As in, if you can do just one regular pushup, do it... then do some on your knees etc. gradually getting to the easier ones. Then do as many as you can until you just can't do more.

If I do something in a CrossFit workout that I can only do 5 times, I'll then just scale it down... Really, if you can do just one at a higher level, then do it!

Just don't stress over how long it takes you to improve. It takes time for everyone. Honestly, I am the WORST in my CrossFit group... seriously, it's almost embarrassing! But I keep plugging away every day, and even though I'm still the worst, I know I'm getting better One session we had 30 minutes of stuff we had to do every minute each minute, and in that 30 minutes I managed over 200 full pushups! I am sure that a couple of months ago I couldn't have achieved that (even though I was struggling at the end). I still can't do a single chinup (although I did some band assisted ones the other day), and my lifts are all really below the "prescribed" weight... but I'm getting better gradually!

The trick, for me, is to try to push past my previous limits and then scale down when I need to. I feel that is more beneficial.

Comment

Yes I can do pushups etc. In the PBF book, Mark has you do an assessment. Do as many pushups as you can, (mine was 6), so from 0-10, you are to start with wall push's get up to 50 then move on. Pullups I couldn't do any, so it's 20 two legged assist. Squats, I have no problem with. Planks, if you can do a full one from 0-45, start with the hand/knee plank, get up to 90 secs.

I'm just trying to follow what the book says...LOL Just feels different as I can go on the Bowflex (I know, not the same) and do pulldowns with 200 lbs res. no problem.

Yea I need to work on it. The pullup (chinup) amazes me. I don't remember how many but remember doing them when I was young.....ooooops....mind is going too....LOL
                      55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                      Chest; 41.5
                      Waist; 42
                      Hips; 40
                      Thigh; 22.5
                      Calf; 15
                      Forearm; 11.5
                      Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                      Chest; 42
                      Waist; 42.5
                      Hips; 39
                      Thigh; 23
                      Calf; 15
                      Forearm; 11.5
                      Neck; 16

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                        I would do one a day...it takes time.
                        One of the exercises a day? Everyday?
                        55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                        Chest; 41.5
                        Waist; 42
                        Hips; 40
                        Thigh; 22.5
                        Calf; 15
                        Forearm; 11.5
                        Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                        Chest; 42
                        Waist; 42.5
                        Hips; 39
                        Thigh; 23
                        Calf; 15
                        Forearm; 11.5
                        Neck; 16

Comment

I believe Mark recommends 2-3x/week. 3x/week if you're looking for good progress. It's going to take some time to progress as well, so just be patient.

Comment

That sounds silly that if you can do less than 10 real pushups you should do wall pushups. I would skip advice that sounds stupid like that. If I can do 1, you can bet that I will do that 1 pushup and forget wall pushups for the rest of my life. I might do 1 real pushup and then do the rest knee pushups until I can do 2 pushups, then the rest knee, etc.

I started with a core fitness class and I was so uncoordinated. I would look at the instructor and then try to figure out how to pretzel myself into whatever he was doing and sometimes I'd have to look at my limbs to make sure the right ones were moving and very often they weren't and the whole exercise would be almost over before I'd figure it out. Sometimes some of them I never figured out. Side planks I still can't figure out how to lay on my feet like that. Maybe it's the VFFs I wear.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I am on CC and his starter program is one exercise a day....more advanced includes 2 exercises a day. I am working at 2 core exercises with the addition of flags and hangs etc.

The thinking behind starting slow is it builds not just the muscle but the tendons ligaments etc in preparation for the more advanced moves.
                              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                              X