No announcement yet.

PBF, suck at it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think one of the hardest things to do in these situations is assess where you are at, and NOT compare it to either: a) where you think you should be (based on what?) or b) where others are.

When I first started working out 6 years ago, I couldn't do a pullup either. In fact, I had only (to my memory) ever done 1 rep of a pullup - and that was when I was like 13 (I think). Within 6 months (and 50 pounds!) I was doing 10.

But there were guys at that gym who could pump out sets of 20.

The point is, are you better this week than last? If so, keep going - and don't worry about what you are doing.

In terms of schemes, though, I would say 2-3 times a week on all 4 moves until you can hit the number, then advance. As others noted, part of this is to build up supporting muscle, tendon and joint strength.

And on a side note, don't get confused about pull-down exercises. You get to brace yourself and use leverage on those; it's not nearly the same thing as pulling your free-swinging body up!

But you'll get there!

Comment

I am on CC and his starter program is one exercise a day

What is CC?
      55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
      Chest; 41.5
      Waist; 42
      Hips; 40
      Thigh; 22.5
      Calf; 15
      Bicep: 13
      Forearm; 11.5
      Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
      Chest; 42
      Waist; 42.5
      Hips; 39
      Thigh; 23
      Calf; 15
      Bicep: 13
      Forearm; 11.5
      Neck; 16

Comment

Keep at it. A year later, I'm finally able to squeeze out a few military pushups, do 40 squats most days, and plank for over a minute. I still stink at side planks and can't do a single pull up to save my butt. I'm happy with the progress, though, because I feel stronger, see the benefits translated into my daily life, and I choose not to worry about meeting some set goal if my body isn't going there because it isn't capable yet. I know I'll get there.

On a side note, I usually work out 5 days a week, doing max reps of all the above, plus some tricep dips and Crossfit situps. That has been the most effective for me. It only takes about 15 minutes, plus however long I choose to stretch afterward.
        Amy
        ~wife and mother

Started primal a month before the end of my pregnancy with P who is now 1. Went from a size 14 down to a size 4 in less than a year. Now sitting at 20-21% body fat, a solid 130 pounds, and 5'9". Feeling better than ever before, and able to run around and chase my 5 little boys who range in age from 14 months up to 11.5 years old.

Comment

CC = convict conditioning another good bodyweight program.
          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
          PS
          Don't forget to play!

Comment

My press-up count two months ago - 9.

My press-up count two days ago - 57.

It's all just about time and commitment.

Comment

Just keep working at it. You'll improve quickly so long as you work at it. Don't be so hard on yourself!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X