No announcement yet.

Please rate my squat form!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it almost seems like you're trying to do a low-bar squat, but with the bar in the high position. if you want to do a high-bar squat, you need to keep your torso more upright, and the mental cue that may work is to keep your chest high. also, do not round out your lower back.

if you do want to try a low-bar squat, take a look at some videos that will show you where to place the bar.

Comment

I think the first question you need to answer is whether you want to highbar squat or lowbar? The chest positioning is quite different for both. In a lowbar squat your chest is not upright. Everyone has this image in their head, but its not the case.

Google Image Result for http://www.cflongisland.com/images/uploads/WODs/high_bar_vs_low_bar.jpg

As far as the rounding of the back, which you aren't doing intentionally, widen your stance a little and really push your knees out and focus on keeping your lower back flexed. You can also stretch out your hamstrings, since that is what is causing the rounding, prior to squating.
      Last edited by Fernaldo; 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM.
      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by MeatSleepRepeat View Post
        I have the same 'chest up' problem. Does anybody have any specific mobility suggestions? I've tried squatting as close to a wall as I can for quite some time now and I'm not making any progress. Any other techniques, stretches, etc?
        You might not be contracting your abs hard enough to help support your trunk in the correct position.
        "Go For Broke"
        Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
        Small Kine-168/9%
        Now- 200/8%
        Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback guys!! Super helpful. Some points/questions

- Benefits of highbar vs lowbar
          - Yes I do have mobility issues, hips, hammies, ankles (been checking through mobility wod and entering the pain cave)
          - Looking up or down - contentious issue yes? I know Rip says look down, but I've heard a number of others to look neutral/straight ahead (I think I find it easier to look straight and keep my back up)
          - It is easier with my legs wider - but I'm going on the 'rule' that they should be shoulder width, toes pointed out 30 deg. Should I be focusing on my own biomechanics as opposed to 'perfect form'?
          - Can't film myself with a loaded bar, no gym buddy I'm afraid (thats my hoover attachment :P) Would a sandbag work perhaps?
          - Best exercises to get the appropriate strength - box squats, goblet squats? I got scared off my putting a rise under my heels by Rip - is this perhaps not so bad?

Thanks again all.
          The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Comment

listen, if you're going to takes rip's cues & advice, you should be doing the squat the way rip intends. you're blending a high bar squat with cues for low-bar squatting which gets messy. for a compare/contrast of high bar and low bar, check out this article: Low Bar vs High Bar Squatting | 70's Big

but if you're going to go off of rip's videos and books, you have to start doing a low bar squat. otherwise, things will get crossed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
              From the looks of it, that's highbar position. If that's what you want to continue to do, you need to be more upright and go deeper.
              Your mechanics look more suited towards lowbar though. The bar needs to travel in a vertical line with respect to the middle of your foot. It looks like you are getting out over your toes which should be avoided. Also, look down towards the ground, not straight ahead. And most importantly, drive up with the hips. It's all about hip drive. Don't think of pressing with your legs, think about driving up with your hips.
              What do u mean over your toes? I know lots of people believe your knees shouldn't go over your toes but, that's untrue

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
                What do u mean over your toes? I know lots of people believe your knees shouldn't go over your toes but, that's untrue
                I think he meant the bar is way forward instead of over the midfoot

Comment

Originally posted by sjmc View Post
                  I think he meant the bar is way forward instead of over the midfoot
                  This.
                  "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

One more tip: Try to go down a little more slowly and brace your muscles before you do. Maintain that tightness and control your descent. It might help to think of "pulling the bar down" versus just dropping. This will help prime your muscles to get you out of "the hole" at the bottom. It also keeps your core tight which helps everything on the lift.

Comment

I use a wide stance. It helps with my balance and keeps the weight on my heels instead of rocking forward to the toes, as I noticed you were doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X