No announcement yet.

I don't understand low bar squats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is hand support not important? Then the only way to make the bar not roll from your back is keeping your back 100% horizontal
    well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
      How is hand support not important? Then the only way to make the bar not roll from your back is keeping your back 100% horizontal
      No. In the correct position, you're just holding the bar against your back. Your back muscles form a kind of shelf for the bar if you're doing it right. Everything should stay nice and tight. Read Starting Strength (or at least check out the website and wiki) for an exhaustive explanation. Although I believe I saw that you had posted in the SS forum (or at least somebody called Gadsie) - why not post a vid there for Rip?

Comment

Originally posted by Miscellangela View Post
        No. In the correct position, you're just holding the bar against your back. Your back muscles form a kind of shelf for the bar if you're doing it right. Everything should stay nice and tight. Read Starting Strength (or at least check out the website and wiki) for an exhaustive explanation. Although I believe I saw that you had posted in the SS forum (or at least somebody called Gadsie) - why not post a vid there for Rip?
        That's a good idea, I will.

But thanks everybody. I just finished some low bar squats. Elbows straight back. I also forgot to mention that I was using a sissy pad (as Mehdi calls it). I thought this was no big deal but I did it without today and my form was a lot better
        well then

Comment

Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
          The other thing I've learned about holding the bar is to keep my elbows forward more than I think I need too. Your elbow should be pointing down along you sides, NOT out behind you.
          This is what's so wrong with Internet forums. People so 100% positive in their statements when they are so incorrect. So then the op follows this advice and gets screwed over.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
            This is what's so wrong with Internet forums. People so 100% positive in their statements when they are so incorrect. So then the op follows this advice and gets screwed over.
            Well I do what makes sense to me and if something does not work I'm not going to continue doing it
            well then

Comment

I feel like my lack of flexibility stops me from doing these. As I try to bring my elbows and arms straight back, my hands move forward of my body. Am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
                I feel like my lack of flexibility stops me from doing these. As I try to bring my elbows and arms straight back, my hands move forward of my body. Am I missing something here?
                You may have forearms that are too long for your biceps - i run into that problem with power cleans. Try widening you grip a teensy bit to see if it helps. If you lack shoulder flexibility, try doing some shoulder dislocations to help out before you squat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                  That's a good idea, I will.

But thanks everybody. I just finished some low bar squats. Elbows straight back. I also forgot to mention that I was using a sissy pad (as Mehdi calls it). I thought this was no big deal but I did it without today and my form was a lot better
                  Yeah, the bar tampon will make it almost impossible to do low bar squats as it will make the middle of the bar thicker and then the bar won't be able to rest on your deltoids like it's supposed to.

If you pull your elbow straight back you should be able to feel a groove in the back of your shoulder which is where the bar should sit.
                  I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Working...
                  X