Abs work plus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abs work plus

Mark talks about the PBF as doing a lot of low level stuff like walking 2-5 hours a week, sprinting once every week/10days and doing the 4 basic exercises a couple times a week.

I've always heard the your abs are the only muscle you can work everyday. NOt sure if that is right or not. My abs are really bad and my muscle in my upper body has been lost in the last few years.

Any problem with doing abs every other day along with some sort of resistance for arms etc?

Thanks in advance
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

I'm no fitness expert but it's not a great secret that abs are NOT made by working them every day. It's all about losing the body fat first, anything else is irrelevant or premature. If the measurements in your sig are current, you first need to lose the fat before even thinking of targeting your abs. Eat primally, do squats, pull-ups and deadlifts a few times a week, and see where you are in 4 months time.

Comment

I know I won't see them with my gut...LOL....but can't a person still work them to build them up so when you lose the fat, you have them?
      55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
      Chest; 41.5
      Waist; 42
      Hips; 40
      Thigh; 22.5
      Calf; 15
      Forearm; 11.5
      Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
      Chest; 42
      Waist; 42.5
      Hips; 39
      Thigh; 23
      Calf; 15
      Forearm; 11.5
      Neck; 16

Comment

It doesn't work to do ab exercises, at least not after a couple months. What does work is to pick up heavy stuff, do pullups, pushups and planks. 10 months of abs twice a week (it wasn't endless crunches, but there was usually a set of situps or crunches in with the other stuff) only made me a teensy bit stronger. Two weeks of really trying super hard to do a pullup plus doing planks, squats and military presses among other things and I swear I can see my abs way better and I can feel they are getting hard. Two weeks, only 6 sessions total. That's all so far and I see progress.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

So you were doing the 4 exercises 3x/week sbhikes?
          55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
          Chest; 41.5
          Waist; 42
          Hips; 40
          Thigh; 22.5
          Calf; 15
          Forearm; 11.5
          Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
          Chest; 42
          Waist; 42.5
          Hips; 39
          Thigh; 23
          Calf; 15
          Forearm; 11.5
          Neck; 16

Comment

Ez, if you're doing PB Fitness, the plank is an abs+ workout!

But pushups, squats, and pullups all also work the abs. (If you don't think the other exercises work the abs, try doing them when your abs are sore!) And if you're looking for adding in an arms workout, that's what the pushups and pullups do.

Keep in mind that you have to be pretty low bodyfat % to have visible abs (for men, usually ~10% or less), and genetics also plays a part.

I'd say, just keep with the PBF plan, and when you get to a low enough bodyfat % to start seeing your abs, then you can decide if you want to do more!

If you are really determined to do more for your abs now, try hanging from the pullup position and draw your knees up to your elbows (repeatedly, like doing pullups). If you can't get your knees to your elbows, just draw them up as far as you can. A few sets of these will make your abs sore, and then you can see how the other exercises also use abs!

Comment

you're pretty much working your abs with every exercise you do. making those abs stronger to have a six-pack once the fat is gone is great, but the major reason to work them is because of how necessary a strong core is for just about everything you do. specifically targeting your abs through exercises like plank really just make you better at those other movements.
              regardless of whether or not the abs 'can' be worked every day in that manner, i don't think it's a good idea. they get enough low level work that daily core work isn't necessary.
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Some of the PBF I'm going to have to play with because I had full shoulder replacement in one arm and suppose to get the other one done.

I did the 4 exercises once this week, just did one set at the beginners and it was tough. I know I'll get better, but I was thinking more stuff like crunches, resisted crunchs etc might help. Also, I find the Bowflex easier to do. May not get as much done but....

Again, I'll have to play it by ear. or by abs I guess.
                55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                Chest; 41.5
                Waist; 42
                Hips; 40
                Thigh; 22.5
                Calf; 15
                Forearm; 11.5
                Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                Chest; 42
                Waist; 42.5
                Hips; 39
                Thigh; 23
                Calf; 15
                Forearm; 11.5
                Neck; 16

Comment

Originally posted by ez2cy View Post
                  Some of the PBF I'm going to have to play with because I had full shoulder replacement in one arm and suppose to get the other one done.

I did the 4 exercises once this week, just did one set at the beginners and it was tough. I know I'll get better, but I was thinking more stuff like crunches, resisted crunchs etc might help. Also, I find the Bowflex easier to do. May not get as much done but....

Again, I'll have to play it by ear. or by abs I guess.
                  i would actually put more focus on the lower body. master those squats. those muscles are bigger and used way more.

rather than crunches, think about reverse crunches, leg lifts, or anything that engages the entire core instead of just those front abdominals.
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Crunches are not the best ab exercise out there.

Dont fall into the CW crapolla of endless crunches, hours of spin classes, and endless days of aerobics. Focus on the big exercises, walk, sprint and play. As others have said your abs are involved in every movement.
                    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

Comment

I am doing more than four exercises, but those are a few that I can feel really work my abs. I think the Military press and squats are really good. Military press might hurt your shoulders.

Basically if you carry around a big bunch of weight with your free-standing body, your abs are working. Another one I've seen in a video that I might try because just looking at it I can tell it'll work is to grab a big dumbbell and hold it stiff-armed over your head and walk across the room. It was called a waiter carry, like you are a waiter holding a tray over your head.

For pullups which I can't do I use the assisted pullup machine. I also noticed a playground at the beach with a little curved bridge with a railing. I can use the bridge to get me into pullup position on the railing and try to hang on or lower myself slowly. The bridge gets in the way a little bit, but I can't figure out any other way to get my short self up to any other pullup bars. I can't do a pushup either, so I hold the planks longer and longer and move my arms further and further forward. Mountain climbers are also pretty good but I think I cheat when I do them and raise my butt too high.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Try some standing core work. Diagonal knee pulls. Boxer twists. Weighted sidebends. Core rotations. And planks, planks, and more planks. Crunches get a bad rap. They have their place on core training. Try this: 10 full range of motion crunches, immediately followed by 10 pulses at the top of your crunch. Repeat the sequence 5-10 times. With no rest in between.

I am a personal trainer and teach 2 core classes weekly. Change up your strength exercises constantly. The core is very adaptable. And get some good HIIT training (sprints) a few times a week. HIIT (high intensity interval training) is very effective on visceral fat. Sprint 30 seconds walk 30 again 5-10 times.

Comment

ms sage, I'll have to look up over 1/2 of what you said as I have no idea what it is. LOL

I have done HIIT on treadmill for sometime, but not sure how much I got out of it. I went for 27 min. 2 min walking at 3.5mph and running up to 8.5 MPH for a minute. Built up my calves but, not sure what else. Planks I did as therapy for a bad lower back. Got better at them but again, unless I could see them ??? and I know I won't see them until I lose a lot more weight. What I feel the most for my abs in the past was, from the 4 hour body, lying backwards on a small Swiss ball and doing crunches , arms parallel to floor stretched out then up to pointing to ceiling, with weight. Other was crunchs on Bowflex with aboutn 90 lbs resistance and side twists with Bowflex also.

I'll look up yours. Ty
                          55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                          Chest; 41.5
                          Waist; 42
                          Hips; 40
                          Thigh; 22.5
                          Calf; 15
                          Forearm; 11.5
                          Neck; 17