Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throwing hatchets/tomahawks -- good primal exercise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwing hatchets/tomahawks -- good primal exercise?

someone told me this would be a good gift for a friend who's into the primal lifestyle as it helps to balance the mind and body, etc.

anyone have any suggestions/experience with this?

"be one with the axe."

I dunno about that...

Comment

ha yes, im skeptical... but could also see it being a challenge and the movements would have to be precise

Comment

i imagine it would be alot like archery which is awesome but one sided as an exercise. and yes, def be the one with the axe lol

Comment

Originally posted by jat View Post
          someone told me this would be a good gift for a friend who's into the primal lifestyle as it helps to balance the mind and body, etc.

anyone have any suggestions/experience with this?
          It would be damned handy too - if you had a husband who needed sorting out LOL
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

I sleep w a legit tomahawk next to my bed.... No lie. I will be forced to throw it if there's an intruder

Comment

Primal exercise or no, it's super fun so I recommend doing it.

Comment

I taught myself to do this a couple years ago- it's very fun. Easy to pick up, and very difficult to master. I don't know about it being much of a workout or exercise, but it is definitely good for calming and focusing your mind. (btw I would suggest getting your friend a tomahawk from Cold Steel. They are cheap, fairly good quality, and basically indestructible).
                "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Comment

We've got a league in Toronto The Backyard Axe Throwing League
                  Last edited by slowcooker; 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

That appeals to me. But would punching a bag be better exercise?

Comment

Hey, a fellow Mainer! A punching bag would be good, but if you had enough space you could definitely get yourself a workout involving the t-hawk. Something like sprinting to throw at different targets, or throwing/sprinting back and forth to progressively further targets, maybe?
                      "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Comment

I'm not so sure I would call it an exercise but more of a skill and it does look like a lot of fun. As to adding running to learning the skill, didn't your momma ever tell you about running with sharp objects in your hand?
                        Randal
                        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Believe it or not, it can be good exercise if you practice long enough. You can build up a sweat. No different than walking. More calories would be burned throwing an axe per hour than walking. Axe throwing goes something like, throw, WALK to target, remove axe or bendover pick it up, WALK back, repete. You would get the same benefits as walking for an hour plus the throwing of the arm and an occasional squat to pick it up...
                          I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                          My Journal

Comment

Working...
                          X