Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does being cold speed up your metabolism, thus leading to weight loss??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • does being cold speed up your metabolism, thus leading to weight loss??

    i heard being cold speeds up metabolism because you're trying to produce heat or something among those lines? my friend also told me he's lost 20 pounds by doing a big of walking and taking cold showers, but i think he's full of shit! he eats fast food almost every day on his way to the career tech center so i'm calling BS!! any thoughts on this?

  • #2
    Yes
    well then

    Comment


    • #3
      Cold thermogenesis would be what you're talking about. The internets says it better than I do, look it up.
      My Primal Blueprint Journal


      Comment


      • #4
        i looked into it, and there are some interesting ideas such as cold showers/baths and submerging your head in cold/ freezing water and holding your breath a couple times. definitely going to give it a try.

        Comment


        • #5
          McDonald's turns eating into a commercial experience

          Comment


          • #6
            There is definitely a bank of research to back up this general theory but it's not going to be a magic pill. You can spend your time trying stuff like this or just sorting out your diet and exercise regime. One of those things will contribute to around 95% of your total results (hint: it's not the cold water thing).
            Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
            Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
            The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
            Brute Force Sandbags
            www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
            http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

            Comment


            • #7
              Agree, it's mostly about getting proper nutrition and avoiding toxins - but the cold, icy showers are invigorating and DO get me energized. I was a skeptic at first, until I tried it. I wouldn't care even if it had no effect on body composition. It feels like flying! The colder the better, and control your breathing - keep it calm, slow and DEEP. Start with lukewarm water, hot water has almost no evolutionary precedence and is truly stressful on the body. I turn the heat down notch by notch and let it hit my face first, then turn and get it all over, and then another notch down until I'm at full cold. In downtown Everett, that was probably only around 45 or 50, but now that we've moved out here in the countryside it's feeling more like 35, and all the more potent.

              Losing weight does not equal better health in every case. You're better off slightly overweight from nutrient-dense food (liver, eggs, etc.) and excess muscle mass than you would be starving and malnourished like a vegan.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
                There is definitely a bank of research to back up this general theory but it's not going to be a magic pill. You can spend your time trying stuff like this or just sorting out your diet and exercise regime. One of those things will contribute to around 95% of your total results (hint: it's not the cold water thing).
                my god, yes. thank you!

                Comment


                • #9
                  well i have been improving on my diet and exercise, i just wanted to see if anyone else experimented with this. i'm aware this isn't a "magic pill"... and i felt great after taking a cold shower in the morning! doing that made me feel very awake and energized, enough to get a good walk in at 5:30! (:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Calories are burned to warm up your body. If you are in a cold environment then your body will need to burn more calories to keep your temperature at 98 degrees. When people climb mount everest they need to spend several weeks at the base camp to get acclimated to the conditions. Between the coldness and the thin air people lose a significant amount of weight. I have heard 20 pounds in 6 weeks just trying to stay warm. I guess taking a cold shower would cause you to burn a few more calories but I doubt a 5 minutes shower will have much of an effect on total calorie metabolism compared to living in cold conditions 24-7.
                    Fitness Wayne | Paleo Health, Exercise and Weight Loss Blog
                    Fitness Wayne Facebook Page

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      To paraphrase Tim Ferriss' book, there is no way Michael Phelps could burn the amount of calories he ate while training (upwards of 12,000/day) simply by exercise. The vast majority were burned by his body maintaining it's body temperature as he spent 5+ hours in the pool.

                      Cold showers are one way, ice baths are another (and far more extreme way.) A simple way to get much of the benefit is to rest an ice pack on your shoulders/back while lying down watching TV/Reading. I believe it helps to kill off the brown fat cells located there and helps make keeping weight off easier.

                      This breaks it down a bit more

                      Use Thermodynamics to Lose Fat? | Fit Desk Jockey
                      ----------
                      Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Fitness Wayne View Post
                        Calories are burned to warm up your body. If you are in a cold environment then your body will need to burn more calories to keep your temperature at 98 degrees. When people climb mount everest they need to spend several weeks at the base camp to get acclimated to the conditions. Between the coldness and the thin air people lose a significant amount of weight. I have heard 20 pounds in 6 weeks just trying to stay warm. I guess taking a cold shower would cause you to burn a few more calories but I doubt a 5 minutes shower will have much of an effect on total calorie metabolism compared to living in cold conditions 24-7.
                        Thank you, Wayne. I had been wondering about this.

                        We keep our central heating on minimally through the winter and I wondered whether that would be a bit of help with Cold thermogenesis...when the ambiant temperature is 10C, the idea of an icy shower isn't all that appealing.

                        It sounds like my 10C house may be doing me some good even without the shower.
                        Misti
                        ***
                        Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
                        ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
                        Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bostonwolf View Post
                          To paraphrase Tim Ferriss' book, there is no way Michael Phelps could burn the amount of calories he ate while training (upwards of 12,000/day) simply by exercise. The vast majority were burned by his body maintaining it's body temperature as he spent 5+ hours in the pool.

                          Cold showers are one way, ice baths are another (and far more extreme way.) A simple way to get much of the benefit is to rest an ice pack on your shoulders/back while lying down watching TV/Reading. I believe it helps to kill off the brown fat cells located there and helps make keeping weight off easier.

                          This breaks it down a bit more

                          Use Thermodynamics to Lose Fat? | Fit Desk Jockey
                          Rumor has it that Phelps kept his training pool somewhere under 60degrees F, and then spent hours in it every day.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                            Rumor has it that Phelps kept his training pool somewhere under 60degrees F, and then spent hours in it every day.
                            that's BS. competitive swimmers do not swim in 60 degree pools. jack kruse started that BS, btw.
                            -ex competitive swimmer, jakey.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jakey View Post
                              that's BS. competitive swimmers do not swim in 60 degree pools. jack kruse started that BS, btw.
                              -ex competitive swimmer, jakey.
                              I shall refrain from spreading that rumor any more. Thanks.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X