I would like some abs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like some abs

I don't think I've got that much fat on me, I've been doing SS for half a year and it's not doing it. Any tips?
    well then

Are you doing any ab work like planks?

Comment

You have abs...just hidden - Seriously.
      Abs are made in the kitchen but not all abs are the classic six pack.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

along with cutting the fat, you can also build up those muscles a bit. the big movements work the core pretty good, but here are a few others to try:
        dragon flags
        L-sits
        hanging leg raises
        bear crawls
        reverse crunches
        medicine ball slams
        shoveglove/sledgehammer swings
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
          You have abs...just hidden - Seriously.
          Abs are made in the kitchen but not all abs are the classic six pack.
          When I wasn't eating enough and I was 130 lbs at 6'1" I could hardly see my abs..
          well then

Comment

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
            Are you doing any ab work like planks?
            No.. I like the idea of planks but my arms give up way before I even start to feel my abs..
            well then

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
              along with cutting the fat, you can also build up those muscles a bit. the big movements work the core pretty good, but here are a few others to try:
              dragon flags
              L-sits
              hanging leg raises
              bear crawls
              reverse crunches
              medicine ball slams
              I don't know what half of those are.. I'll look 'em up! Thanks
              well then

Comment

Hey I've been very lean and strong in the past and I have NEVER achieved the classic six pack. Heck, high school I dropped from lean 140lbs to emaciated 125 (wresting) and still didn't have the classic look. Take a look at some pictures of lean HG's and you will see that many of them don't have that either. I really don't think its natural for everyone.

Comment

I thought you had abs? I saw two pictures of you, maybe three, and in all of them you had visible abs. Maybe all you need is a spray tan, some body oil and decent lighting.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    I thought you had abs? I saw two pictures of you, maybe three, and in all of them you had visible abs. Maybe all you need is a spray tan, some body oil and decent lighting.
                    Well, thanks, but it wasn't like you could say "that guy really has abs!" I want them to come out more because when I flex my abs I can see that I like the shape
                    well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                      No.. I like the idea of planks but my arms give up way before I even start to feel my abs..
                      Are you sure you're doing planks correctly? You should be on you elbows, no your hands like a push up.

Comment

ab muscles respond like other muscles. If you want bigger abs you have to stress them the same way you do your pecs. That can mean using progressive weighted incline setups or weighted cable crunches. And you may have to accept that you might not have the genes that allow for much bulking up. Ab Workout To Increase Ab Size | Muscle & Strength
                        Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                          When I wasn't eating enough and I was 130 lbs at 6'1" I could hardly see my abs..
                          You have to build them to see them. Yes, you need very low bodyfat levels, but you need the muscles too. It's the same thing with chest, arms, legs, etc. If you don't have anything to show, then nothing shows.
                          People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Aren't you 14 or 15 years old? You might just have to keep lifting for another couple of years, unfortunately. Everyone hits different growth spurts at different times. An acquaintance in high school was always a tall skinny guy. He spent the summer before senior year working on a farm, and came back to school with an additional 30 pounds or so, and visible muscle where there wasn't any. I think he would have been 17 or so at the time. My brother-in-law gained 30 pounds of muscle the summer after he graduated from high school, because he was no longer starving himself for wrestling.

Keep lifting, keep eating, and your body will catch up at some point. You will have a huge jump in a matter of months where you just pack on 10-15kg when your body is ready for it. Your abs will probably start showing at that point. Without some kind of crazy hormone therapy, I don't think there is any way to accelerate it. It'll be like magic when it happens, I promise. You're doing all the right things, and it will pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceCorpsCaveMan View Post
                              Are you sure you're doing planks correctly? You should be on you elbows, no your hands like a push up.
                              I think you can do them either way. But if you do them on your elbows, then you're obviously taking your arms out of the equation, so you fail when your abs fail rather than your arms.

As PrimalRob said, these are all good:

dragon flags
                              L-sits
                              hanging leg raises
                              bear crawls
                              reverse crunches
                              medicine ball slams

Add in the following and you're gold

mountain climbers
                              hanging knee raises (if you can't manage hanging leg raises)
                              front levers (if hanging leg raises are easy)
                              windshield wipers

(this doesn't mean that you need to get obsessive and build a workout containing all of the above though, just mix it up to hit your core from all sorts of angles and keep them guessing )

You should also check out http://www.youtube.com/user/TheF0rtress, He's around your age and does all bodyweight exercises.
                              He does have a few videos that are about his religious beliefs/philosophy, but don't let those put you off if you're not into that.

He's got a lot of really good video tutorials showing different bodywieight exercises and progressions to get there.
                              Last edited by Misabi; 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM.
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                              X