No announcement yet.

Starting weights today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sbhikes, are you using the fixed barbells for bench? I'm sort of confused by your description.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

sbhikes, I think you are using the curl bars to bench with
      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Yeah, I switched to the bench with the rack. I was using the barbells they stack over by the dumbbells. I guess that's what you call a fixed barbell. There's a couple stands with several at different weights. I started very light, lighter than the bar on the bench press rack, so that's why I had been using them.

I've been doing this 3 sets, 8 reps. But last time I did everything that I could with 10 reps, adding a little more weight each set, and I have been doing the squat sets twice because I think squats are fun. I feel like I'm starting to get used to this, my joints and stuff are figuring it out. Some of these are very hard and it doesn't feel like getting used to it is going to make it any easier. Some of them I think are hard only because I'm just not used to it yet, that I probably can lift way more but the mechanics of using the equipment and getting the form right and all that is what limits me. I think I could probably squat way more than that. Squatting is just backpacking, sorta, right? And a 55lb backpack is miserable but not really that heavy.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Great that you are getting the hang of it. I'm not sure what program exactly you are running - it sounds like something your trainer made for you? The program that will really do the trick, simply and effectively, goes like this:
          Workout A
          Squat 3 sets of 5 (3x5)
          Bench press 3x5
          Deadlift 1x5

WorkoutB
          Squat 3x5
          Overhead press 3x5
          Power clean 5x3 (five sets of three)

After you finish each workout, work on chinups the best you can. Then go home, or do other stuff, it doesn't matter.
          Alternate workouts A and B three times per week (twice / week also works great). Keep track of how much you lifted each time, and add 5 to 10 lb every single session as long as you are able to complete the lifts.

For example, your first day bench press you do 45 lb (the empty bar) for three sets of 5 reps. The next time you do workout A, you do 50 lb, and so on. The squat increases twice as fast as the others since you do it every time. The deadlift you can add 10 or even 15 lb per session for the first several sessions, then play it by ear. Use the Mark Rippetoe videos on youtube to learn the proper form, keep a little notebook and log your progress, and watch yourself become really awesome in a matter of a couple of months.

That's "Starting Strength" the famous workout plan. Hope you give it a try!
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Yes, it's a plan my trainer made up for me. I have to work up to some of the Starting Strength lifts, but once I'm there, I plan to do it.

I do a fair amount of things that are working my way up to being able to do a pullup and a deadlift. I don't think the gym that I joined has the plastic weights for beginner deadlifters, so I have to work my way up. It's just a university gym but I get a good deal as a staff person. All the equipment to do Starting Strength is available, just not those plastic beginner plates for deadlifting.

I do squats, bench press, romanian deadlifts, overhead presses but not power clean. I will ask her to show me that tomorrow. I also do planks, "ball bridges" with a stability ball, low-to-high cable woodchops (which are kinda fun), and assisted pullups.

Comment

i love cable woodchops and squats as well. i've been doing weights for years but i still get sore every time i go see the personal trainer as he is so hard. 55lbs is about 25kgs? our bars here are usually about 20kg some are a few kgs lighter. the problem i have with squats is once you get about about 50kgs, the bar digs in too much even with a pad on. and it is hard on the lower back or can be. i always concentrate on form with everything now and control and slowing down the negative part of the movement.
              when you say the plastic plates for starting deadlifts, how do you mean? you should just be able to dead lift the bar. if you can carry a 25kg backpack, you will be able to lift the bar. or you can put a couple of the smaller say 2.5kg weights on either side of the bar to have it off the ground for picking up. the other thing we do is put the bar on the bottom part pf the squat rack and lift it from there.

Comment

I think the Starting Strength book mentioned plastic plates and that their purpose was to position the bar off the ground properly so that you can learn the movement with the correct form even before you can lift the heavier weight.

The Starting Strength book also said that if the bar hurts your back on the squats you aren't tightening the back muscles enough before you put the bar on your back.

Comment

I've done deadlift without the fakes 45s. Being short certainly helps this not be a big deal. You also might look around for blocks that you could rest the weights on instead of going all the way to the floor.

Comment

1. Depends upon how much energy you consume. If you eat more than you burn you'll get bigger. If not, you'll get leaner at the same weight.

2. Ask the trainer this, 'I've heard that the smith machine is really good for doing bench press and squats. Should we do that today?'

If he says 'yes!', fire him. I've seen so many idiot PTs encouraging peoeple to use the Smith machine - only to eventually cause them to get injured because the machine enables you to lift what you can't lift without assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman_Sam View Post
                      1. Depends upon how much energy you consume. If you eat more than you burn you'll get bigger. If not, you'll get leaner at the same weight.

2. Ask the trainer this, 'I've heard that the smith machine is really good for doing bench press and squats. Should we do that today?'

If he says 'yes!', fire him. I've seen so many idiot PTs encouraging peoeple to use the Smith machine - only to eventually cause them to get injured because the machine enables you to lift what you can't lift without assistance.
                      The first thing she said to me was "Don't use the Smith machine." Yadda yadda. I didn't even have to ask.

Comment

The Starting Strength book also said that if the bar hurts your back on the squats you aren't tightening the back muscles enough before you put the bar on your back.
                        it hurts across my shoulders where it digs in from the sheer weight. the only time it hurts my lower back is if i have more than my bodyweight on at the bottom of the squat coming out for the first part of the movement. and when i say hurt, it doesnt really hurt as such but i can feel it could hurt which is usually when i stop these days. does it say which back muscles you should tighten?

I think the Starting Strength book mentioned plastic plates and that their purpose was to position the bar off the ground properly so that you can learn the movement with the correct form even before you can lift the heavier weight.
                        my last gym had plywood plates you could put on the deadlift bar. all you really need to do is keep it off the floor so as you can get your fingers under the bar to grip it.

Comment

If your gym has some of those plastic steps you can stack, you could maybe use them to get the bar up to the right height.
                          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Sounds great, SB, and about the bar height for deadlifting, Owly's idea will work. Although if you can do 95, starting with the 25 lb plates is really just a greater range of motion, nothing wrong with doing that. You'll be at 135 within a month I'm sure.
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                              it hurts across my shoulders where it digs in from the sheer weight. the only time it hurts my lower back is if i have more than my bodyweight on at the bottom of the squat coming out for the first part of the movement. and when i say hurt, it doesnt really hurt as such but i can feel it could hurt which is usually when i stop these days. does it say which back muscles you should tighten?

my last gym had plywood plates you could put on the deadlift bar. all you really need to do is keep it off the floor so as you can get your fingers under the bar to grip it.
                              See this movie. I think I'm going to try to watch more of his movies.
                              Starting Strength DVD -- Squat - YouTube

As for the power clean, I looked that up. It looks scary. I'm not sure about doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post

As for the power clean, I looked that up. It looks scary. I'm not sure about doing that.
                                Says the woman who hiked from Mexico to Canada, alone.....

Comment

Working...
                                X