Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sprinting everyday?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sprinting everyday?

    Can I warm-up for 5 minutes, do 6 sets of sprints, and call it a day? Can I do that 6 days a week(rest on Sunday).

    I really want to tone my calves and legs, and even increase calf size if possible, but through sprinting.

    I love sprinting and want to do it every day. I just want to know if it would be alright though?

    I get about 80 carbs or less a day, mostly from milk.

  • #2
    you can do that, but it's probably not going to do a ton for your calves and legs other than make them really tired all the time. it will certainly help you lose body fat, which leads to more muscle showing. but, if you want to get stronger and look stronger, you're going to need to give those legs a little more rest to rebuild.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

    Comment


    • #3
      I ended up with shin splints sprinting everyday. Just run in minimal shoes or do a forefoot strike when you run. That'll work your calves.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Loneketo View Post
        Can I warm-up for 5 minutes, do 6 sets of sprints, and call it a day? Can I do that 6 days a week(rest on Sunday).
        You can try it, but I doubt you'll make it through a full week. There's a reason most of us only sprint once or twice a week.

        You know what gets results? Patience and consistency. But then again, experience is always the best teacher. Grok on!
        "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

        "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

        My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes you can do it. Probably will be sore the first 3 weeks but then your body will get used to it. Alternate hills and flat ground sprints every other day.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Loneketo View Post
            Can I warm-up for 5 minutes, do 6 sets of sprints, and call it a day? Can I do that 6 days a week(rest on Sunday).

            I really want to tone my calves and legs, and even increase calf size if possible, but through sprinting.

            I love sprinting and want to do it every day. I just want to know if it would be alright though?

            I get about 80 carbs or less a day, mostly from milk.
            I notice with each additional sprint (or HIIT) that I add, the quality of my workout diminishes. Maybe I'm a wimp, but Friday HIIT was kicking my @$$! It also started to affect the quality of my sleep, because I was so sore….and I used to run for miles! Give it a shot and see how your body reacts - I'm not sure I could pull it off.

            Comment


            • #7
              You may want to up your carb intake if you plan on sprinting that much.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for feedback everyone, I'm don't feel soreness after a sprint session though, just a little tired but I guess that is normal.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't know because this is not my area of expertise (I haven't got an area of expertise come to think of it!). I did expert other people to say that 6 days of sprinting is too much. I know Mark's fitness ebook recommends one day of sprints a week, combined with other exercise - strength work and lots of lower level activity but stresses not overdoing it. I did a series of sprints last week and my legs were killing me (the good killing ache) for about three days afterwards. I have know problem biking 50/60 miles and going up some killer hills - I mainly bike - but 20 minutes of sprinting (total time) really did me in. I enjoyed doing it though. I have missed this week's sprints but I have had about 4/5 hours of tennis this week as this is my other sport. Good luck with them anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Exercise breaks down muscle tissue, rest rebuilds and strengthens muscle. You can't have one without the other. Train real hard on your training days and then take a couple of days off to recover and build muscle. I suggest you add a day or two of heavy squats and calf raises to your weekly schedule as well.
                    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                    https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I heard Calf muscle is something extremely extremely tough to grow through exercise. That particular muscle group is more genetically determined than any other, it appears.

                      I have tried fair bit over the years (training heavy, training volumes) and mine has gotten more ripped and stronger and not "bigger". OTOH I know quite a few Chinese in HK who absolutely do 0 work out, yet have monster calves (including ladies).
                      Few but ripe.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 70in2012 View Post
                        I heard Calf muscle is something extremely extremely tough to grow through exercise. That particular muscle group is more genetically determined than any other, it appears.

                        I have tried fair bit over the years (training heavy, training volumes) and mine has gotten more ripped and stronger and not "bigger". OTOH I know quite a few Chinese in HK who absolutely do 0 work out, yet have monster calves (including ladies).
                        I'm guessing there would be a huge genetic disadvantage to bulky Calves in the days of Grok.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                          Exercise breaks down muscle tissue, rest rebuilds and strengthens muscle. You can't have one without the other. Train real hard on your training days and then take a couple of days off to recover and build muscle. I suggest you add a day or two of heavy squats and calf raises to your weekly schedule as well.
                          Thanks for advice! Don't know about the squats though, I'll consider it.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X