No announcement yet.

Oh Kettlebell Oh Kettlebell...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone! RaeVynn and KimT it means so much to know there are people with fibro out there able to exercise. I can do this! Lissee I love the song! I will never be able to kettlebell now without it in my head. That is great! Now you need to put it on youtube for phigment I really appreciate all the information. I will keep you updated on my progress
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by lissee View Post
      Okay, I couldn't resist. . .

Oh kettle ball, oh kettle ball,
      Tabata sprints are awesome,
      My heart rate's up, I cannot breathe,
      Just three more reps, I grit my teeth.
      The pain I feel? Exquisite.

Too loose a grip Is frightsome.
      I swing you high, I swing you low,
      I push you up, and do mid-rows,
      I focus hard, it's worth it.

You make me look so toothsome.
      My muscles bulge, my skin is tight,
      I look so hot, I will ignite.
      Thanks go to you, no bullsh*t.

Edit: Sorry for the language at the end, alternate endings were weak....
      I'm sexy now, I'll admit.
      I am no longer unfit.
      Love it....
      I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
      My Journal

Comment

Enter the Kettlebell suggests that the average woman start off with a 18lb kettlebell and the average man start out with a 35lb. I have purchased mine from amazon. I will have to look but you can get them for less than $1/pound shipped, which was cheaper than any of the places that I checked around here.
        Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
        SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
        CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Comment

BTW, Walmart online does sell the CAP Cast Iron kettlebells too. You can get them delivered to you local store for free.

Here is a pretty good deal for starting out.....

3-Piece Cast Barbell Iron Kettlebell Set - Walmart.com

or

3-Piece Cast Iron Kettlebell Set - Walmart.com

Both sets are just over a $1 per pound, but no shipping cost if to store. I bought the second set for my wife and daughter....

My Journal
          My Journal

Comment

I would encourage you to follow the advice of those who say to find a coach or trainer who knows what s/he is doing. You can jack yourself up right good with kettle bells!

I would recommend a good set of iron/steel bells as well. I like Lifeline - a bit pricier, but made in North America and very well constructed.

As others have said, starting with the 18lb bell would be good, too.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks all. I have been looking in my area for someone but not having a lot of luck. I know there is someone here. I have been sick so not putting a lot of energy into it at the moment.

Age 48
              height 5'3
              SW 215 lbs
              LW 172 lbs
              GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Valmason, you might have to join a gym. I believe at gym GH&F, they have a kettlebell class. I can check for you the next time I go if you wish. I know the trainers could show you. There extra but i believe you can get two free session.

Comment

Regardless of what one poster said about youtube, there are a few true professional trainers who have videos on there. You just need to find one. I can't remember the guy's name, but he has lots of videos, and is considered to be almost legendary in his mastery of kettlebells.
                  Start Date 9.24.12
                  Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
                  CW - 271 pounds
                  First Goal - 255 by 2013
                  Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
                  Other Goal - to get off some medications
                  Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
                  NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

If you do go to a gym, ask for the kettlebell credentials of the trainer. Most do not have any kettlebell experience, but have jumped on the band wagon, or learned from a DVD (usually Bob or Jillian), or from a less than optimal source on YouTube. If the swing looks like it is slow motion, or looks like a front shoulder raise, or if they press and the arm is way out to the side like with a dumbbell, go somewhere else. The swing should be hip and glute driven and the press should go straight up in front, almost at centerline. Also if the bell flops overe on them during a clean or snatch, look elsewhere.

I just suggest using caution as a fellow fibro sufferer. Bells are awesome, but without proper technique, you can do damage and you need to be sure you are doing things properly.

Best of luck and hope you are able to start swinging soon!

Comment

Primal Pappa is correct, there are a few reputable ones on YouTube, but you have to know who to look for. Steve Cotter and Ken Blackburn with the IKFF, Jason Dolby and John Buckley with the OKC, and Mike Mahler are all great sources. I've trained with all of them and they have been around for quite a while. I'm sure there are other good ones I'm forgetting, but I've watched enough to know there are a lot of poor ones too.

Comment

Originally posted by phigment View Post
                        Valmason, you might have to join a gym. I believe at gym GH&F, they have a kettlebell class. I can check for you the next time I go if you wish. I know the trainers could show you. There extra but i believe you can get two free session.
                        That would be great! I appreciate the offer. I don't want to sign a contract but don't mind paying for a couple of classes as long as they are not too much.

Age 48
                        height 5'3
                        SW 215 lbs
                        LW 172 lbs
                        GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by KimT View Post
                          Primal Pappa is correct, there are a few reputable ones on YouTube, but you have to know who to look for. Steve Cotter and Ken Blackburn with the IKFF, Jason Dolby and John Buckley with the OKC, and Mike Mahler are all great sources. I've trained with all of them and they have been around for quite a while. I'm sure there are other good ones I'm forgetting, but I've watched enough to know there are a lot of poor ones too.
                          Thanks! And Thanks Primal Pappa. I talked to my Dr about it today and she urges caution too because of the damn fibro. It would be nice to have a couple of classes and try it before i invest. i am convinced I can do this though. I just have to be patient and take my time. Not one of my strong suits

Age 48
                          height 5'3
                          SW 215 lbs
                          LW 172 lbs
                          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by KimT View Post

That's the guy I was trying to think of.
                            Start Date 9.24.12
                            Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
                            CW - 271 pounds
                            First Goal - 255 by 2013
                            Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
                            Other Goal - to get off some medications
                            Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
                            NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Comment

Yes Primal Pappa, Steve is awesome! I've certified under his organization, the IKFF, assisted him with a certification, and attended other seminars with him. He can do some pretty amazing things and knows his stuff. They are constantly learning and revamping their instruction.

Comment

Cotter rocks.... He is a little dry, but I like his videos.

My Journal
                                My Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X