Swimming as primal exercise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love sprinting in the shallow end;
    do you mean you run in the shallow end? i used to think that was what aqua jogging was till i saw a bunch of people aqua jogging in the dive pool lol

i did a couple of pistol squats in water half way to my knee when i was there with the kids. i cant do them without holding onto something otherwise but just that small bit of a lever in the first 6 inches and they are doable.

Comment

If you are in the US check out US Master's Swimming: United States Masters Swimming; adult swimming for health, fitness and exercise. I train twice a week with a master's team, though in 8 years I have competed in a meet only three times. Swimming with a coach is definitely not boring! Our coach even taught me flip turns and butterfly. 25 yards makes an excellent sprint for someone slow like me. We do kick sprints with fins and also pull drills, which are wonderful for stretching out the deep abs that cause back pain if not stretched.

We swim in a community pool which has salt in the water and reduced chlorine. A big improvement over the university pool with traditional levels of chlorine.

Comment

We swim in a community pool which has salt in the water and reduced chlorine. A big improvement over the university pool with traditional levels of chlorine.
        i am not in the US but we have one of these here which is open summer time. i have seen ads for masters diving clubs so i will look for swimming.

Comment

I used to swim 1/2 a mile, nearly all-out, 3x a week... started as all breast stroke, evolved to include crawl & back (my butterfly lacks forward momentum, so I don't do it often)... I would also do 30+ diving block pull ups, lunge & squat jumps in the shallow end handstand pushups, walks & pirouettes.
          I use(d) the city pools (waaay too much chlorine, but the only place I can afford to swim in NYC)
          I bought a friends' ipod shuffle and a waterproof case +headphones (h2o audio makes a bunch of different products) that clips onto my goggles.

Comment

i have read that chlorine sits in your iodine receptors in your body so i always take some iodine when i go near chlorine or eat some seafood. i dont know if it really helps but it makes me feel better.

Comment

Working...
            X