Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing grip strength

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you have any tips? I have started increasing the amount of weight I can do with dumbell exercises. Anyhow I'm finding it hard to hold on to a 25 lb dumbell when doing rows. I can actually lift it but my grip starts to give out. I know there are lifting straps available out there but I was just curious if there are ways to increase it without using straps.

Keep lifting without straps and your grip will improve.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

+1

Also, you can improve your grip strength by hanging from a pull-up bar, or something like that, for increasing amounts of time.

Comment

farmers walks
        dead hangs
        pull ups holding onto a towel
        fingertip push ups
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

farmers walks for sure. Try this with dumbbells and also with plates (you'll have to pinch them to hang on!)
          http://meatsleeprepeat.com/
          http://ternioncrossfit.com/

Comment

google captians of crush grip trainers

Comment

Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
              google captians of crush grip trainers
              I was just about to recommend these. I started using them six weeks ago and my grip strenght exploded

Comment

Another good way is to do some barbell complexes occasionally. I have a ton of grip strength but short fingers and huge palms (it's weird, and sucks for guitar, seriously) and use a complex that really amps up your grip strength. Put a weight you can handle on a bar and do each of these 8 times, fast, without putting the bar down:

Deadlift
                Romanian Dead Lift
                Rows
                Jumping Shrugs
                Hang Cleans

Then rest a minute, then do it again, and repeat up to 5 total rounds if you can handle it. Your forearms and grip muscles will want to run away and pee on themselves after the first round. Give it a shot.

Comment

farmer's walks are great, because bottom line - there's no easy answer here. you have to keep doing the very thing that you feel you can't do effectively. you need to keep doing heavy lifts without using straps. barbell work without straps - just pure grip - is the best forearm training there is, followed by farmer's walks. just basically... doing it.

Comment

I used dead hangs and straight overhead sledgehammer swings to improve my deadlift grip strength. Also, I don't know if its more of a wrist rather than all out grip, but I'm going to start doing (bare with me) wrapping a weighted string/rope around a thick 'handle'. I don't know the correct name for it, if any. I get a thick dowel (stair handrail?) and attach a string/rope to the centre. Attach a weight to the other end and let it hang, then wind it to the top by twisting the bar/handle like you're on a motorcycle.

Hope that makes sense :s

EDIT; hanging weight roll-ups (YouTube?)
                    Last edited by Caveman_chris; 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

clubbells!

Comment

Hanging from a bar, or a towel that is hanging over a bar is the best start, if you want a minimalist approach. The thicker the bar or the thicker the towel, the harder it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
                          Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you have any tips? I have started increasing the amount of weight I can do with dumbell exercises. Anyhow I'm finding it hard to hold on to a 25 lb dumbell when doing rows. I can actually lift it but my grip starts to give out. I know there are lifting straps available out there but I was just curious if there are ways to increase it without using straps.
                          Practice. And concentrate on really squeezing your grip around the bell. I used to use a Gripmaster Tension hand gripper to improve my pull strength for shooting, so maybe that would help? We have things like FatGripz at the gym that go around the weight and force you to increase your grip. It might require you to go lower in weight at first but it does strengthen grip over time.

I would not use the straps if you are looking to improve. Save those for insanely heavy weight.
                          sigpic
                          Age 48
                          Start date: 7-5-12
                          5'3"
                          121lbs
                          GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                          Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by ZoriWser
                            I hope you have to set a diet plan plan first after this just follow the simple instructions
                            Use maximum water daily at least 2.9 litter.
                            Increase the use of fresh fruits and vegetables.
                            Use more vegetables in the diet
                            Try to eat salads.
                            Walking is a good exercise
                            try to swimming or ups and down too.
                            haha spammers... my grip strength was shit until i started "using more vegetables in the diet." good one

Comment

Pretty much what everyone said, to make it simple, hold a dumbbell for as long as you can and grip as hard as you can

Comment

Working...
                              X