Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really dumb question - why do we care about preserving lean body mass?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really dumb question - why do we care about preserving lean body mass?

I know this is a dumb question, but I do wonder why we care so much about not losing any lean body mass when trying to lose weight. I sometimes think that if I had less muscle mass I might not be quite so chunky. Plus, wouldn't a person need much less lean body mass to support their body once they've lost a lot of weight?
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Do you see the musckles ?
    or the padding on them ?
    I see my padding, but i'm working on it

Comment

Well, for me it's because I don't want to be a weakling. Holding more muscle means I can push more weight.

Comment

Lean mucsle mass it what consumes all those calories, the more muscle mass, the more calories that are consumed, even at rest.
        I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
        My Journal

Comment

Really dumb question - is that your daughter on the right in your avatar?

Chunky my arse...

Comment

Cause muscle is sexy!
            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
            PS
            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Because this?
              well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                Because this?
                I still see padding,
                but i like

Comment

Pretty much any Jamie Eason photo
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

What TorMag said - more lean mass meas more steak, bacon, eggs and butter shoveled down my pie-hole(that no-longer has pies shoveled into it :P)
                    Also I quite like the amount of muscle I carry, I'd like a bit more so I'm even more butch, certainly not less, but that's my preferance.
                    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                      Pretty much any Jamie Eason photo
                      Why are you posting pics of my gf?
                      well then

Comment

Two major reasons I can think of:

For Today: Lean body mass burns calories so it lets you eat more without getting fat. It also allows you to perform better at physical activities which is really fun.

For Tomorrow: Studies show that building/preserving muscle mass has a direct correlation to quality of life as you age. If you get old and weak, you can't do much physically. If you remain strong as you age you can extend your physically active years considerably.

Comment

Depends on how much muscle you have and how heavy you are, I suppose. I'm 280... I've lost 70 pounds! And I've gained some muscle from my training. But I bet as I finally get to goal I'll lose some of it. If the trainer's scale is remotely accurate... that's a big if... I have 140-150 pounds of lean muscle. That seems like a lot at 5'4.
                          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I'd say I have about the same muscle definition in my legs as that attractive lady in the picture has in her legs. I can also see all kinds of lines and creases on me when I walk that are not visible in her picture. However, my legs are enormous. I would like both the padding AND the amount of muscle to just be less.

If my legs are any indication of the rest of me, my underlying muscular size seems large and the fat on top of it just adds to the largeness.

You know how you sometimes see these really big guys who have massive calves? That's me. Wouldn't people like us not need to care very much about losing muscle mass? You hear so much about preserving it, making sure you don't lose one bit of it, but don't some of us have too much lower body muscle from carrying around big huge bodies?
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Sbhikes - just enjoy the journey, don't ask too many questions. You look great and that muscle has to be doing you huge favours. I was a competitive swimmer in my youth, have been a farmers wife all my married life, and I have a huge amount of muscle in my shoulders, arms, back. I am also carrying around a heap of fat still, but am working on it. I hate how big my shoulders and arms are. I am determined to dumb it down - and I'm sure it will as the weight drops off.
                              Anyway the point I am making is I think that we might think that it looks worse than it is ????!!!!
                              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Working...
                              X