Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morbidly obese - how to get started exercising?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Binti1962 View Post
    hI, Im new to this site but am loving what Im finding here! i have been eating primal for three days now, and have lost 4 lbs. i would like to start in incorporating exercise into my day, but am 100 pounds over weight and have very poor exercise tolerance. How do I start? Any ideas for the very obese?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    There is an exercise hidden in this book, plus a lot of humour to keep you motivated and some great recipe ideas. "Why and How to Make Yogurt: Another Deconstruction by the Mistresses of Mistakes [Kindle Edition]"

Comment

I'll echo what has already been said - walk a lot and focus on nutrition until you are in a position to do harder workouts. Early rounds of pushups and so forth are also good.

It can be tempting to watch things like "Biggest Loser" and see very obese people doing lots of intense-looking workouts. Those people are constantly monitored by health professionals, though - and even they suffer all kinds of injuries, etc.

Good luck - and remember, it's persistence that pays the most dividends!

Comment

Eating, as they say, is 80% of the way to weight loss success! My sister is morbidly obese too (she has lost a few kg in the past few months though... mostly from eating, although she works out as well). At the moment she goes to the gym 5 days a weight and is into lifting quite heavy weights (she does the weight lifting M, W, F and does cardio the other days).

Mind you, she doesn't eat primal/paleo! I'm just using her as an illustration that morbidly obese people CAN get in some good workouts! If you find it difficult to do cardio, just concentrate on weights, which are generally better for you anyway. I think it's a lot harder for heavier people to do stuff like push ups, planks, pull ups etc. simply because they've got a LOT more bodyweight to lift (I'm pretty sure if I were at my goal weight, I'd be able to do a pull up... can't do it at my current weight though!).

Apart from that, daily walking is always excellent, as it's just about moving!!

All that being said, keep the focus on the way you eat, and you'll probably find exercise becomes easier as the pounds start to fall off. I know that last time I lost weight, I suddenly found doing particular things became much easier (like stepping up onto something high... it was MUCH harder when I was heavier, and became quite easy after I'd lost weight... it's not that I became stronger, just that my poor body didn't have to lift as much to get me up there!).

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post

Some help from Mark @ youtube.
          This. This and walking are what you need to do. Technically I am over 100 lbs overweight too. I don't want to lose 100 lbs, but at the very least I want to lose 60 more... on top of the 24 I have already lost (all on primal). I know how hard starting to exercise is, and honestly I don't do enough, but I do these exercises and I walk. I am adding in sprints very soon too! You'll do awesome! Keep us updated on your progress. Have you started a journal? I would live to follow your story!

Comment

i have been eating primal for three days now, and have lost 4 lbs. i would like to start in incorporating exercise into my day, but am 100 pounds over weight and have very poor exercise tolerance. How do I start? Any ideas for the very obese?
            Hi, Sarah,

You're getting some very good advice already, but I wanted to reiterate what some have said -- it's probably enough to move around as much as is comfortable for now (walking, stretching, etc) and concentrate on eating clean for now. As you get healthier movement will come more and more easily.

I don't pay attention to my weight. I went primal entirely to resolve arthritis and pain -- but I am down from a size 28/30 to a small size 16 anyway. At size 28, I was as active as I could be, but I was in a great deal of pain in every joint. The pain went away LONG before the weight shifted. As the pain went away, I found I moved more and more just because it felt so good. At around size 20, I started feeling so energetic that I *wanted* to move--lots! So, I started walking. I started slow -- 7/10 of a mile from my office to the local craft store every so often. Over time I wanted more and more. Now I walk 2.5 miles 3 times per week and I am looking for a destination that's closer to 3 miles from my office so I can move up again. I could never have imagined it before, but now, I am able to do my 2.5 miles, then go home and cook dinner! No aches and pains, no need to rest. I have started to do so "proto-squats" (I have very weak knees because of babyign them through arthritis for so many years) and qi gong longevity exercises from time to time, too. By spring, I hope to be doing wall pushups and maybe real squats.

My advice from one big girl to another: pay attention to nourishing yourself and eliminating the inflammatory toxins and just listen to your body - you'll know when it's time and you'll know what your body wants to do.
            Misti
            Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
            ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
            Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Comment

hI, Im new to this site but am loving what Im finding here! i have been eating primal for three days now, and have lost 4 lbs. i would like to start in incorporating exercise into my day, but am 100 pounds over weight and have very poor exercise tolerance. How do I start? Any ideas for the very obese?

Thanks,
              Sarah
              Walk, lovely lady. Walk and walk and walk. Treat yourself to a good pair of walking shoes and a water bottle. If you enjoy music, plug into an ipod and enjoy some of your favourite tunes. If your schedule allows for it, try to get out 2 or 3 x a day for short walks, until you are able to build up to longer distances. Enjoy the fresh air and meeting some of your neighbours (when we drive everywhere, we don't meet anyone). I've had neighbours ask me if they can join me on my evening walks. What a great way to shed pounds, get the digestive system working well, embrace fresh air and meet some like-minded neighbours. Let us know how you make out. /louisa
              ----------------------------------------
              F, 48, 5'10"
              Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
              Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

In addition to walking, I'd also recommend swimming as it's invigorating and also easy on the joints.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

This forum is such a blessing! Thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                    In addition to walking, I'd also recommend swimming as it's invigorating and also easy on the joints.
                    To start out try walking through the shallow part of the pool, then put your face in the water and swim through the deep part. Swimming is a great full body exercise that won't leave your joints aching the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbyJ View Post
                      To start out try walking through the shallow part of the pool, then put your face in the water and swim through the deep part. Swimming is a great full body exercise that won't leave your joints aching the next day.
                      Have never thought about it before - but yes it has never left my joints aching. It's just the chlorine that I have issue with.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

In Gary Taubes book he cites research that says exercise is not a factor for weight loss for very overweight. He says it is good for your health but not as a weight loss tool. In the 30's they used to prescribe bed rest for the obese to lose weight.
                        I would do as others have said, go for walks in the fresh air as this is good for you. Then as you lose weight maybe look at what you enjoy doing.
                        Good luck.

Comment

walk,
                          walk down the street, 4 driveways, then come home,
                          do same in other direction next day,
                          each day go a little further than last time,
                          walk around the block,
                          next day go other directiion,
                          now do it faster, still walking,

i went from 265 to 210, 4 driveways to 4+ miles, sprints, fun runs, woods runs,
                          walk

Comment

Do you go to a gym? I would suggest walking and playing on the weight machines if you do. It's not hard, believe me, I was considerably higher than 100 pounds overweight when I started! I still have at least a hundred to go.
                            Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Working...
                            X