No announcement yet.

To Gym or not to Gym

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd ditch the gym as well. The wife and I used to go to a Washington Sports Club after we got married. After 6 months it just got way too old. I wound up picking up a dumbbell set (5lb. through 50lb), dumbbell rack, and bench for significantly less than a 1 year membership. Nothing quite like coming home after a days work, hitting up the mini basement gym, shower, and make dinner/eat dinner all before 7pm.
    The greater the achievement the more difficult the path. The easy road is granted to those less fortunate as a consolation prize.

Comment

Find a good squat rack, which also serves for bench pressing and pullups such as this that I have:

HF-4970 Squat Rack | HOIST Fitness

And a good power station for dips and pullups like this one:

Stamina 1700 Power Tower Dip Knee Raise Pullup Station VKR

This should be all you need to get a good workout at home. We only have one car, so about 1/3 of my garage has this equipment plus a weight plate stand.

Comment

Home would probably be better if you willing to invest a few hundred dollars for equipment. Equipment = power rack, barbell, weight plates, bench.

Comment

The Gym is great. Nobody nagging you to help with homework, take out the trash, or wash the car. You don't have to stock the toilet paper, wash the towels, or sweep the floors. It's just you, your body, and the equipment. Other than that I really don't see much reason to go to the gym.

Comment

Also depends on how self motivated you are! If you tend to use the gym regularly, but put off home workouts, or don't find yourself working out as hard at home, then the gym is a good idea.

Comment

Go to gym is important things but if you are cannot get to it so you should be a part of your work at home by putting the weight into it. You can use healthy food to be fit and healthy and usually you can also do push up at morning when you are awaken.Its kinda best form of exercise.

Please share your suggestions.

Boot camp workout
              Last edited by Deonte; 10-17-2012, 12:59 AM.

Comment

After canceling my CrossFit box membership this past weekend I wanted to start working out right away (with emphasis on strength training vs the primarily metcons with the occasional high-rep oly lifts I was doing at CrossFit). I don't have a garage so a squat rack and other equipment at home wasn't an option. I joined a local gym (it's actually a squash club but they have a large fitness area) and I use the equipment there, with the added benefit of some treadmills for 'moving slowly' during the cold winter months.

A bonus is that today I found out they have some bumper plates! : )

Comment

Originally posted by RobbyJ View Post
                  The Gym is great. Nobody nagging you to help with homework, take out the trash, or wash the car. You don't have to stock the toilet paper, wash the towels, or sweep the floors. It's just you, your body, and the equipment. Other than that I really don't see much reason to go to the gym.
                  I like this post. I feel the same way. The gym is "me time" put in your earbuds, stare at some cardio lady asses and lift some weight. I also like being around other people there for the same thing. My gym is very new so, may e that's why but, I also love having a shower there and getting fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbyJ View Post
                    This is my main reason to go to gym (YMCA -Chicago, loaded with good equipment) It's a 1 hour health appointment twice a week. I have kettle bells at home for one workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
                      My gym is very new so, may e that's why but, I also love having a shower there and getting fresh.
                      Same here. My gym is about 4 years old but they have kept it nice and are always improving it. Before re-joining this gym (I was a member there last year and enjoyed it, but quit to try CrossFit), I made the rounds to the two other area gyms. The most popular one, a Bally's that was bought last year by LA Fitness and seemingly has been left to rot, is a downright sh*thole. It smelled, and I could tell why every week in the township police report there are reports of thefts in the locker room/parking lot: lots of shady dudes walking around there.

For less than $10 more per month I'm in a really nice, non-crowded gym. When I talk to people about gyms they always say, "You should always go for the cheapest cus the equipment is all the same." But the reality is that the atmosphere and cleanliness is just as important.

Comment

Working...
                      X