Exercise's effect on appetite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing a little research..

"There are several hormones that help regulate appetite, but the researchers looked at two of the major ones, ghrelin and peptide YY. Ghrelin is the only hormone known to stimulate appetite. Peptide YY suppresses appetite."

One study found that a 60 minute aerobic workout on a treadmill decreased ghrelin, and increased peptide YY. The same study found that 90 minutes of weight lifting decreased ghrelin, but didn't really effect peptide YY.

This seems to make sense, at least for me, because I find that my appetite is more suppressed after sprinting, than it is after lifting weights.

Comment

I cannot exercise on an empty stomach, it has been miserable the times that I've tried. I typically start working out at 5:30-6:00 am. I am not hungry afterwards, though if it was an especially hard strength day then I will down a protein shake that has next to no carbs in it to make certain my body has enough protein - generally I don't have a meal until 5-6 hours later.

Comment

Originally posted by Catrin View Post
        I cannot exercise on an empty stomach, it has been miserable the times that I've tried. I typically start working out at 5:30-6:00 am. I am not hungry afterwards, though if it was an especially hard strength day then I will down a protein shake that has next to no carbs in it to make certain my body has enough protein - generally I don't have a meal until 5-6 hours later.
        Interesting how everybody's different!

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy View Post
          I've noticed the increased appetite with lack of sleep as well, which kinda sucks, because sometimes my job requires me to get a little less sleep than I need. A little sleep really goes a long way haha
          Working long hours as a chef must be very difficult.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I am regularly doing exercises and it really helps me..

Auriculotherapy

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
              Working long hours as a chef must be very difficult.
              Yeah haha. But IF has helped with food cravings a lot!

Comment

Hey ,
                Actually you are right ..............
                .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
                http://www.regenestem.com
                Last edited by jammy1; 10-02-2012, 03:58 AM.

Comment

The Texas area weight loss surgery practice of Dr Gregory Barnes, MD, understands the physical and psychological importance of fighting morbid obesity. Dr. Barnes can help you achieve life-changing healthy weight loss. His bariatric surgery center for Dallas / Fort Worth, and Arlington, Texas area patients provides weight loss surgery for people suffering from the debilitating effects of morbid obesity. Dr. Barnes is an experienced, board certified, compassionate surgeon who offers a variety of effective surgical procedures to help you lose weight to live a healthier, more productive life and feel more confident about your appearance. For more information go to: http://barnesweightlosssurgery.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X