"Optimal" Strength to Bodyweight Ratio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Optimal" Strength to Bodyweight Ratio

What do you guys consider a "good" target strength to bodyweight ratio on some of the "big lifts":

Squat

Deads

Bench

Standing Overhead Press

Pullup (weighted)

For example squat 2:1 would mean the ability to squat 2x your bodyweight.

this is a good link:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

Comment

john_e: great link! Thanks!

Comment

That is a good link... thanks man.

Comment

Good Link, gives me a small idea where I am.

I went to the gym for first time in over 3 years on Tues. Going again tonight.

I am 140 lbs and slim but with some muscle definition.

I squated 185lbs, 5x5; Benched 125lbs 4x5 and did 4x5 pull-ups.

How am I doing for a first time out? Oh, I am 32 yrs old.

Comment

I'd say that's great.

Only suggestion is to have someone watch you do it to make sure your form is perfect... don't want to pick up any bad habits trying to rush into lifting like you used to.

Comment

Yes, form is important. It can take years to build up to intermediate or high level. Consistency and patience are important.

Comment

The optimal strength to bodyweight ratio is the same as the maximum strength to bodyweight ratio. Increasing this ratio does nothing but good.

A fairly common reference goal to be considered athletic is to have a 2.5xBW deadlift, a 2xBW squat, and a 1xBW bench and row.

Comment

haha wow if those are common standards then i am one WEAK grokette...there's no way i could bench 115, let alone squat twice that...goodness i feel weak

Get on my Level
                  http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think that's for men only... I'm sure woman's ratio's would be different... like squat 1x your bw...

Comment

Have never thought about it, never really go heavy I guess. I do more along the lines of 135 lbs 100x (I'm 195 lbs). Or 185 lbs, 3x30. I'd like to work up to doing bodyweight 100x but am a long way from there. In case you're wondering why the hell somebody would do that, it's for indoor rowing improvement. There are a lot of theories on the best strength training for the sport but the moderate weight, high rep is the one I buy into.

Comment

It's all about progressive overload. Anything else is so much gravy. All you need is to continually stress the muscles more than before.

Proper training cycles and loading parameters can make all sorts of difference, but the best routine will not make you stronger if, from month to month, you do not increase the amount of weight.

Comment

I will say that once you go heavy, your body will respond with some real changes. I had always performed leg press and lunges for years. However, my legs never really filled out till I started doing heavy squats and deadlifts.

I have found that doing heavy squats and deadlifts requires not only good form and consistency, but also a psychological component. They are very difficult exercises once you get to a heavy weight. I have to mentally prepare myself for the strain I am about to put my body through. But the results are worth it.

Comment

You have to relate it true functional strength. I'm an old fart at 53. I weigh 192 and I'm fat not muscular. My last single rep static hold bench press was 425 lbs. Put a measuring tape on my upper arm and it is only 14 inches. Not what one would call a huge bicep.

You train to 2 different criteria. One is strength. The other is sypnatic facilitation. Once you apply that then your strength gains are endless.

Comment

Originally posted by TBywaters View Post
                              Good Link, gives me a small idea where I am.

I went to the gym for first time in over 3 years on Tues. Going again tonight.

I am 140 lbs and slim but with some muscle definition.

I squated 185lbs, 5x5; Benched 125lbs 4x5 and did 4x5 pull-ups.

How am I doing for a first time out? Oh, I am 32 yrs old.
                              Im the same age as you (192lbs though) and started lifting about a year ago. I started around where you are and now:
                              DL max 345
                              Squat max 305
                              i can do one pullup with 105lbs on a dip belt. (i started on a pullup assist machine)

I don't know if these numbers are "good" but a long way from where i started. I work out in my basement 3x week.

I think the key to anything is being consistent. i spun my wheels early on freaking out about plateauing. I just gradually add weight to all my same lifts and it has worked great for me in the past 3 months. just keep at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X