No announcement yet.

Deadlift: Is Nearly Passing Out Normal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadlift: Is Nearly Passing Out Normal?

So pretty much every time I do heavy deadlift day (250 lbs or higher, generally--under that seems to be fine), I feel super lightheaded after I put the bar down for several seconds. I haven't passed out ever, but sometimes I need to hold onto something until it goes away. And yes, I promise I have great deadlift form and am breathing correctly. I also get this to a lesser degree from heavy squats sometimes. I assume it's not a real issue, but was wondering if it happens to anyone else or if I should be concerned at all.

Also, I dislike deadlifts. Always have. Love lifting weights, though. I know they're pretty necessary for me.

Deadlifts are my absolute favorite lift. And I also get the light-headed seeing stars thing sometimes when I go "heavy."

I attribute it to the beastly awesomeness of the deadlift.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I love deadlifts. They make me happy, and as a woman, there's something deeply satisfying in knowing I can haul that much weight off the ground. I get the same thing on heavy deads and sometimes squats, as does my partner. I think it's a blood pressure thing.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Just make sure you are getting enough air and taking a pause at the bottom. A lift like deadlifts can really raise your blood pressure. When I go heavy I never go higher than 3 reps. Pause at the bottom, take a few deep breaths, reset my grip, go again.

Comment

Yup. Normal when squeezing out that last heavy rep. I also get it at the top of heavy power cleans.

Comment

i hate deadlifts too! absolutely love squats though. not sure what's causing your issue, if not breathing

Comment

Good chance its a vasovagal response.

Comment

When you release the valsalva maneuver the blood pressure drops to the brain? That's what I concluded when it happened to me. I also experience it mainly with the dead lift.

Comment

I got really lightheaded today after 3x320, needed to sit down. It happens. Blood pressure drop after release of tension.
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Careful not to attack anyone when you get this response. There have been cases of extreme violence during things like this.
                    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Lol. I think I'm too busy concentrating on not falling over to even consider attacking anyone.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Reminds me of the eatbigliftbig shirt... "If deadlifts were supposed to be easy, they'd be called ellipticals"

Comment

Thanks, I figured it was pretty normal and related to blood pressure after a lot of strain. Glad to see everyone else gets it. I mean, I'm not glad you're lightheaded, but I'm...never mind, I'll shut up now. As long as I don't end up falling face-first into a rack I'm not too worried.

Comment

Do heavy deadliest cause this effect in a lot of people, yes.

The point is "what is the point" you lift something heavy then can't properly take control of your body. How is that beneficial, useful, primal or of any benefit except to quote some abstract poundage. To lift something slightly less heavy and to be able to consciously move it control it- jump, run, drop it and start again- that makes sense.

You should try to master your body and its function not practice to lose mastery of it.

Comment

Originally posted by sandstone View Post
                              Do heavy deadliest cause this effect in a lot of people, yes.

The point is "what is the point" you lift something heavy then can't properly take control of your body. How is that beneficial, useful, primal or of any benefit except to quote some abstract poundage. To lift something slightly less heavy and to be able to consciously move it control it- jump, run, drop it and start again- that makes sense.

You should try to master your body and its function not practice to lose mastery of it.
                              Decreased blood pressure caused by loss of homeostasis. Training yourself will result in a greater buffer zone before you lose homeostasis. It's like practicing martial arts even though everyone around you is small and weak. You probably won't ever need that extra skill but it's nice to have just in case, even though your master probably gave you a few bruises while you were being taught.

Owly: Loss of oxygen in the brain can result in fight or flight responses. Mostly because your brain thinks you're dying. I've experienced these things numerous times.
                              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Working...
                              X