No announcement yet.

Pole Dancing!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pole Dance Dictionary is the best free resource. You can access some things for free on Studio Veena. I haven't paid for the membership because I pay for my membership at the studio and that keeps me busy enough. That's the move. Mine doesn't look that graceful, of course nothing does on the first try.

Inverting is more about upper body and core strength than anything else. Because of Crossfit I was strong enough to be moved to intermediate quicker than some. At my studio there are three levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. When you go to intermediate it means your ready to invert. My understanding of advanced is that you can string a bunch of inverted intermediate moves together and look good doing it. The standard is 6-8 months in each level.

I bought my first pole from a friend who was upgrading hers, and I have no idea what it was. Currently I'm using x-pole x-pert pole, chrome 45mm width. They cost about $300 plus shipping. I bought mine from my studio which saved me the shipping cost. It can be static or spinning. It's the same one that my friends use and they all competed in the Regional Midwest Pole Competition, so I think it's one of the best you can get for home use.

Comment

Very cool JadeAthena! Thanks for the info! Just had my 2nd class tonight--yay! I can feel myself getting stronger, and I can tell that I will have more bruising this week too. (All part of my learning!)

How long after starting did you get your first pole? Just wondering...
      My Before/After Pics
      Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

My biggest gripe about exercising is that I tend to get a little bored with it. Pole dancing looks like so much fun though, I'd love to give it a try. Coupled with yoga I'm sure it's an amazing work out. Thanks for posting those videos too, they were actually kind of an inspiration for me to get off my butt and start getting serious about exercise again.

Comment

I think it would be impossible to get bored with pole. It's so much fun that you forget that you are basically doing pullups over and over again.

I probably bought my first pole after three months. I don't use it as much as I should, I'm too busy with classes, yoga and Crossfit. But it's nice to have and is great entertainment at parties!

Comment

Thanks Jadeathena! We'll see...I need to start saving up!
            My Before/After Pics
            Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Comment

i have been studiously avoiding this thread as it is something i have always wanted to do. there is a pole dancing school near me but i have always been worried it wouldnt be like this but be more stripper orientated. i cant get a sitter on the nights they have classes but one day. i will do it! i potentially know a few men who would/could get me a pole for home. i just need to ask nicely.

Comment

You can make it about sexiness or strength or both.. The flag is an amazing upper body strength trick. Slow straight leg inverts are all core. The pencil spin is core and upper body. The iron X is the ultimate strength trick. I only know a few girls who can hold it. (I'm not one of them... yet.) The sexy part is doing it all together while smiling, with your toes pointed. I'm awful with that stuff.

Definitely give it a try if you are curious. Even if it is more stripperish, it will still be a start. And what's wrong with the occassional body roll, it's all about feeling confident!

Comment

next time i see classes advertised, i will def see if i can get a sitter. by stripper orientated i meant more of a focus on that side of things vs the actual strength and flexibility stuff.

Comment

I don't think that as a guy I should be doing this type of thing. But I have to say, aside from it being very nice to watch, it seems like it would be an incredible workout on many levels!

Comment

Originally posted by JadeAthena View Post
                      You can make it about sexiness or strength or both.. The flag is an amazing upper body strength trick. Slow straight leg inverts are all core. The pencil spin is core and upper body. The iron X is the ultimate strength trick. I only know a few girls who can hold it. (I'm not one of them... yet.) The sexy part is doing it all together while smiling, with your toes pointed. I'm awful with that stuff.

Definitely give it a try if you are curious. Even if it is more stripperish, it will still be a start. And what's wrong with the occassional body roll, it's all about feeling confident!
                      !!!

I LOVE the embracing your own sensuality aspect of pole dance (as I've practiced it thusfar.) I agree-totally check it out if you're interested!! SO fun!
                      My Before/After Pics

Comment

i managed to find a phone number for the place near me and they have open sessions you can attend so i can try one of them. tribal belly dance is quite good for the sensuality aspect but i like idea of the strength side of pole dancing.

Comment

Yayayayayayayayay!!! It is SOOO strength focused. Very LHT!! Have a blast!!!!!!!
                          My Before/After Pics

Comment

Signed up for my second session!! Woo hoo! Loving it!!!
                            My Before/After Pics

Comment

Two things - I finally got my shoulder mount on both sides and I'm pretty pumped because even my pole instructor can't do both sides. Also, my husband and I started doing acro yoga and it's a great compliment to my pole fitness, yoga and crossfit. If you are looking for more interesting exercise options, search your area for acro yoga. It's a blast.

Comment

Took a pole hiatus as I found it so hard to get to the studio for practice (having my son at home makes it difficult to get out in the evenings.) BUT, I *just* got an X-Pole and have spent the past 2 days dancing it up!!! SOOOOOOOO excited!!!!!! YAY! Just wanted to update!!!
                                My Before/After Pics

Comment

Working...
                                X