Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprints during the winter time

Hi everyone!

How should I do sprints during the winter?

Occassionally during the wintertime, the temperature drops here (in Finland) between -20 to -30 Celcius grades (between -4 and -22 Farenheit) and it's too cold to these kinds of exercises then.

Does anyone have experiences related to this?

Cheers,
    Timo

indoors, on a rower? Or if you have a bicycle you could get a turbo trainer?

Comment

Sure, they could be one option of course.

I'm doing the sprints by running, so naturally doing stuff indoors would probably take care of the same thing?

Cheers,
      Timo

Comment

while i think running sprints are the best, i take almost all my exercising inside during the winter...including sprints, but i switch to another movement(though sprinting through snow is a special kind of hard). usually i'll pick one of three activities: stationary bike intervals, sandbag thrusters, or burpees. you may not get the same kind of muscle activation as you would with normal sprints, but you still get a good metabolic workout with your heart rate getting really high, and then coming back down.
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

We're lucky to have a couple of gyms with indoor tracks that I'm hoping to use this winter, but I think rowing or cycling sprints would be a reasonable substitute if you don't have access to something like that (check your local university/college--they often have indoor tracks). As primalrob said, you can also do things like burpees, and I also like tabatas.

Well, maybe *like* tabatas isn't the right way to put it, but they work.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

You could try tuck jumps, which are basically just jumping and bringing your knees up (as if you were going to "cannonball" into a pool) but when you land, don't stop - squat all the way down and explode up. It should be a continuous motion - shoot for 15-20 jumps... if you can.

However, do try to brave the weather sometimes - nothing compares to actual sprints. Do less outside sprints if necessary, like just go for 5 hard sprints instead of a longer workout, that's what I'm going to do.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Second the burpees.
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

If you really want to try to murder yourself, try doing jump squats, tabata style.

Comment

Thank people!

I have access to stationary bikes, so I'll try them.

But anyway, nice to learn about other options as well

Cheers,
                  Timo

Comment

Working...
                  X