No announcement yet.

MMA vs. Muay Thai

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP, you didn't mention wanting to do either as a means of self defense. If SD is your end goal then I'd study both MMA and MT but those two still aren't good enough. You'd need to get weapons training too.

A lot of sports related martial arts have rules that impinge on what you can and can do. In a street fight you'll revert to your training. For example, in a self defense situation a finger jab to the eyes (which can be more effective for a woman than a punch) might be the quickest response but how often do you train to do just that in a sport related martial art?

The advantage sport MA gives is combat experience, confidence, and present of mind during a fight. Both MMA and MT will give you two aspects of that. But for self defense you need equal time simulating mixing it with the dirty tricks and weapons stuff you use on the street.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by zpotter View Post
      I will respectfully disagree with you. Anyone with a decent ground game can get inside and take someone down. Almost every fight (real life) ends up on the ground at some point and having the advantage or at least equal footing on the ground is key. Except in rare cases (Chuck Liddell), someone with good wrestling/ground work will beat a pure striker in a street fight.
      I understand you disagree with me, I am not an absolute source of truth nor do I expected to be treated as one. But do me a favour and don't compare MMA to fighting. That is just not right on many levels.

Cheers!

--Me

Comment

I will respectfully disagree with you. Anyone with a decent ground game can get inside and take someone down. Almost every fight (real life) ends up on the ground at some point and having the advantage or at least equal footing on the ground is key. Except in rare cases (Chuck Liddell), someone with good wrestling/ground work will beat a pure striker in a street fight.
        This. But we've done this debate around here before. And there are entire other forums devoted to it.

Let's skip it and ask the OP what she's actually looking to get from her training rather than making our own assumptions.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Even Chuck Liddell used wrestling to keep from going to the ground.

Having said that, best to be well trained in both. But having said that, most people are at far greater risk of dying from a heart attack or being crippled by their low fitness level than being attacked on the street, so for me, diet and exercise are the keys, and MMA/BJJ/MT training are fantastic forms of exercise (so you kill 2 birds with one stone).

Comment

Hey guys,
            I'm more interested in doing it because I wanna get my ass kicked and get in some fights. Not too interested in self-defense--if that were the case, I'd go back to krav maga like I used to do, I think that's one of the most practical martial arts. I'm not really in it for practicality this time. Really just wanna do something super physical, have someone beat me up and perhaps get to beat them up as well Oh and get totally exhausted too. That's about what I'm looking for.
            "The mountains are calling and I must go."
            --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
            --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
            --Hyperlithic

Comment

I vote for Gracie (Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu. But I always vote for that.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I would ask for the particulars on what is involved in the MMA courses you are looking at. The MMA school I go to has an actual MMA class, but also individual classes in various disciplines such as wrestling, judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, and straight up boxing. I suspect this approach may be common since actual MMA requires some foundational knowledge in each of the base disciplines.
                Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
                - Ralph Marston

Comment

Working...
                X