• Show
Clear All

Okay here are some pics of my legs

leg front.jpg
    leg front 1.jpg this is me if i were to do a plie squat
    side.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
      You're preaching to the choir here, I'm just about due for new pants.
      Lucky Brand makes a great loose fit jean that actually fits me in both the waist and the thighs. They're expensive, but no one else seems to make jeans that fit properly- either too tight in the thighs, or too loose in the waist.

Comment

Originally posted by BONZ View Post
        If anything, I'd say stick with squats and deadlifts, drop the rest of the leg work. Reduce the reps (5 or less per set), up the weight.... Should continue strength gains and minimize hypertrophy, no? Zoebird did nail it, though. You may reach your genetic "new norm", but that might not be where you want it to....
        Actually you would want to do the exact opposite. "I'd say stick with squats and deadlifts, drop the rest of the leg work. Reduce the reps (5 or less per set), up the weight.... " is the recipe for hypertrophy/strength. Stick with Lunges and Sprints. Add some Extensions and Curls HIIT style and you should gain strength in those exercise while not gaining much mass.
        Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Originally posted by chima_p View Post
          Actually you would want to do the exact opposite. "I'd say stick with squats and deadlifts, drop the rest of the leg work. Reduce the reps (5 or less per set), up the weight.... " is the recipe for hypertrophy/strength. Stick with Lunges and Sprints. Add some Extensions and Curls HIIT style and you should gain strength in those exercise while not gaining much mass.
          Wait a second.... I was under the impression that lower volume at higher reps was more likely to induce sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, incresing size with a lower corresponding increase in strength. Alternatively, increasing the load but lowering the overall rep counts would tend toward myofibrillar hypertrophy.... less superficial size gains, better overall strength gains. School me on this..... these are things I want to get right....
          Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
          Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
          Starting Energy: "bleh...."
          Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
          Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Comment

Wait a second.... I was under the impression that lower volume at higher reps was more likely to induce sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, incresing size with a lower corresponding increase in strength. Alternatively, increasing the load but lowering the overall rep counts would tend toward myofibrillar hypertrophy.... less superficial size gains, better overall strength gains. School me on this..... these are things I want to get right....
            Hmm. okay the way I know is that 5 reps below is strength plus weight progression. 6-10 is hypertrophy plus increase weight. 12 and up is maintenance increasing weight as well. The final hypertrophy would depend on the total volume load put on the muscle plus if the person is eating at a surplus. gaining mass varies by gender obviously.

I could be off on this and I really don't have a particular literature to support my claim, it's just something i have read for the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
              Lucky Brand makes a great loose fit jean that actually fits me in both the waist and the thighs. They're expensive, but no one else seems to make jeans that fit properly- either too tight in the thighs, or too loose in the waist.
              Actually my luckys are the ones that might need replacing soon, maybe I have the wrong cut. Makes the ass look great though... [/threadjack]
              "Go For Broke"
              Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
              Small Kine-168/9%
              Now- 200/8%
              Goal- 210/6%

Comment

On the women's side of things, I'm in love with Second Denim's Yoga jeans. They fit my lifter's thighs and butt in a very, very spectacular way and don't gap at the waist. Also, they have a good amount of stretch but don't bag out from wearing.

Second™ denim Co. :: since two thousand

My partner is also rather in love with them (not for wearing, just for looking at).

Ahem. Anyhow, yeah, legs not growing any more. I've sort of given up on that and embraced my serious thighs.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Ok I'll be the first to say it, pics or I don't believe it!
                  "Go For Broke"
                  Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                  Small Kine-168/9%
                  Now- 200/8%
                  Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                    Ok I'll be the first to say it, pics or I don't believe it!
                    None with the jeans, but I have pics on my journal.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Cayla29s, just so you know you're pictures were just recently approved. You weren't being ignored. What a problem you have.... you sound like my wife! "My butt is too big.." No the hell it's not! Anyway, back to you.... seriously, squat and deadlift 2 times a week for maintenance, hell do 3x5s if it makes you feel better. Keep sprinting, ditch the rest of the leg work and go have fun for God's sake! haha
                      Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
                      Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
                      Starting Energy: "bleh...."
                      Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
                      Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Comment

Yeah, that is one downside to squats and deads, jeans might be a little tight. I have had to return a couple pair of jeans due to the thighs being too damn tight now. Kind of sucks because I liked the cut. Oh well, I guess ill just have to go with the hulk cut off jean shorts from now on

Nice legs btw
                        "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Cayla29s, just so you know you're pictures were just recently approved. You weren't being ignored. What a problem you have.... you sound like my wife! "My butt is too big.." No the hell it's not! Anyway, back to you.... seriously, squat and deadlift 2 times a week for maintenance, hell do 3x5s if it makes you feel better. Keep sprinting, ditch the rest of the leg work and go have fun for God's sake! haha
                          LOL!!! Okay for some reason I can see the pics I posted but I guess it doesn't show up for other people. It's alright I'm not needy. No i don't think my legs are huge by any means I just wanted some feedback on how I can maintain the mass I have now. I still wanna up my lift as I feel like I'm getting stronger.

I will try the lower reps for sure 2 x a week and keep sprinting. I do have a question though, I want to work on my butt a little bit more. I know deep squats and dead lifts are great but do you think adding some hamstring curls would help. I have been walking on a treadmill on the highest incline lately, I can't tell yet if it's working.

I know genetics play a role on this but any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                            Yeah, that is one downside to squats and deads, jeans might be a little tight. I have had to return a couple pair of jeans due to the thighs being too damn tight now. Kind of sucks because I liked the cut. Oh well, I guess ill just have to go with the hulk cut off jean shorts from now on

Nice legs btw
                            Thanks... Yeah I find it hard to find shorts for the summer that's tight fitting. You know something that's not going to show my private when I do some deadlifts. I have to go up a size on the waist so my legs can actually fit through the opening.

In any case that's not really the reason why I don't want to add mass. I want to look fit but still feminine.

Comment

Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
                              In any case that's not really the reason why I don't want to add mass. I want to look fit but still feminine.
                              Wear spandex....all spandex lol.
                              "Go For Broke"
                              Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                              Small Kine-168/9%
                              Now- 200/8%
                              Goal- 210/6%

Comment

My jeans got tight when I started working out too, but I haven't come to accept that it's a good thing yet... Your legs look fantastic though. How much weight are you using?

I have read that hill sprints are great for butt development.

Comment

Working...
                                X