Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbell training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
    I say that Stronglifts has too much volume too quickly because you add 10 lbs per workout and the extra two sets of 5 reps (vs. SS with 3x5 and adding 5lbs a workout). Yes, you start with an empty bar, but you quickly move beyond that.

    Do what you want.
    You only add 5 pounds per workout on Stronglifts too, with the exception of deadlift. But even then, you are adding 10 pounds every other workout, not 10 pounds per workout, because you don't deadlift every workout. That's true of press, bench and row as well, but those are also 5 pounds per lift.

    Stronglifts looks like this:

    Workout A:

    Squat (+5)
    Bench (+5)
    Row (+5)

    Workout B:

    Squat (+5)
    Press (+5)
    Deadlift (+10)

    So the only exercise you increase every workout is squat, because it's the only one you repeat every workout. Press, bench and row all get +5 increase every other workout. Deadlift gets +10 increase every other workout. That's high volume, but I don't think it's all that unsustainable. I'm a full 5 weeks in and I haven't stalled yet. That's about 1/3 the way through the initial program.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by BennettC View Post
      Look people, I'm 18 years old and trying to bulk. No pain no gain, I'm no bitch when it comes to lifting
      18, trying to get stronger / bulk...
      Starting strength with the gallon of milk a day (can substitute a dozen eggs, or a whole chicken for the milk)

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by David Garner View Post
        *snip*
        So the only exercise you increase every workout is squat, because it's the only one you repeat every workout. Press, bench and row all get +5 increase every other workout. Deadlift gets +10 increase every other workout. That's high volume, but I don't think it's all that unsustainable. I'm a full 5 weeks in and I haven't stalled yet. That's about 1/3 the way through the initial program.
        I'm 32, and can't do three days a week, but had great success doing the program two days a week this summer. I very quickly hit my limits on OHP, started approaching them on deadlift and squats, and haven't gotten close on BP. I just can't get the form down for rows for some reason.

        SS or SL would both be great programs. Stick with one or the other until you aren't making progress anymore. Eat big. Don't be afraid of starting with the bar, if that's what you need to do.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
          I'm 32, and can't do three days a week, but had great success doing the program two days a week this summer. I very quickly hit my limits on OHP, started approaching them on deadlift and squats, and haven't gotten close on BP. I just can't get the form down for rows for some reason.

          SS or SL would both be great programs. Stick with one or the other until you aren't making progress anymore. Eat big. Don't be afraid of starting with the bar, if that's what you need to do.
          im def starting with the bar so I can keep making progress and get the proper form. ive done big lifts before but I feel like I really lost a lot doing strictly bodyweight (marks plan). I wanna ease back into it and also the overhead press and row are new for me. As far as eating im starting at roughly 2500cal per day and im wondering if its gonna be enough since ill be swimming and walking a lot as well. Starting tomorrow so im sure ill be toying around with my macros the first month. Im taking in ab 250grams of protein everyday so that's not an issue
          Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
          Before and after pics
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
          Primal Sucess Story
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
          Primal Journal
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by David Garner View Post
            I'm a full 5 weeks in and I haven't stalled yet. That's about 1/3 the way through the initial program.
            Full disclosure -- stalled on the press at 80 pounds today. Hoping to hit the reps on Friday.

            Comment


            • #21
              Dan,

              I did split routines most of my life but now do full body. I'm doing the 5x5 on the following link and have had luck losing weight with it (eating at calorie deficit.) So long as you eat more you'd make huge gains on this program. It does take a few weeks to tweak the weights for each exercise to the proper level. At least it did for me.

              Forget Steroids: 5 Full Body Workouts For Serious Gains | Muscle & Strength
              ----------
              Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by bostonwolf View Post
                Dan,

                I did split routines most of my life but now do full body. I'm doing the 5x5 on the following link and have had luck losing weight with it (eating at calorie deficit.) So long as you eat more you'd make huge gains on this program. It does take a few weeks to tweak the weights for each exercise to the proper level. At least it did for me.

                Forget Steroids: 5 Full Body Workouts For Serious Gains | Muscle & Strength
                Just curious, how many calories a day are you taking in on average and what do your macros look like?
                Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                Before and after pics
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                Primal Sucess Story
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                Primal Journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

                Comment


                • #23
                  Dan, my calorie target is around 2200 per day. Probably 25% carbs, 45-50% protein and the balance in fats.

                  I'm a big guy (6'3 and currently around 312lbs.) I'm down about 5lbs since starting this program but would say much of it is from diet. My goal is to get down to around 240 and re-evaluate where I want to go physique-wise from there.
                  ----------
                  Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Those sound like pretty good macros, although you might see better results with lower carbohydrate and higher fat. Yesterday I was really hungry so I upped my calories, prolly a bit too much as I felt overstuffed after dinner. Good sign for me to slow down when I'm eating, it's a bad habit from when I was a kid.
                    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                    Before and after pics
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                    Primal Sucess Story
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                    Primal Journal
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by BennettC View Post
                      Those sound like pretty good macros, although you might see better results with lower carbohydrate and higher fat. Yesterday I was really hungry so I upped my calories, prolly a bit too much as I felt overstuffed after dinner. Good sign for me to slow down when I'm eating, it's a bad habit from when I was a kid.
                      I agree, I'm still tweaking things and figuring out healthy ways to get the fats. Lots of avocado so far
                      ----------
                      Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by BennettC View Post
                        So I have been reading on stronglifts 5x5 website and im impressed. this is the regimen im going with, i may add in the front squat and power clean though. with warm-up with calisthenics too
                        Glad to hear it man, I'm doing the same. Let's compare notes.

                        I did the squat workout last night (squat, bench, pull ups, sit ups) and am feeling it in my outer quads today. Still getting a feel for the proper weights for me but by next week I should be locked in.
                        ----------
                        Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I switched back to a split routine but I took some things out of Mehdi's book. I'm using only 4-5 exercises per workout four days a week. chest, arms, legs, back
                          Last edited by BennettC; 09-25-2012, 10:37 AM.
                          Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                          Before and after pics
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                          Primal Sucess Story
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                          Primal Journal
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by EvRevFit View Post
                            It's really semantics. Unless you're extremely frail that minor difference in volume won't kill you. Plus, like I said, Stronglifts says that if you feel like 10lbs a week is too much, start with adding 5lbs. SS isn't a perfect program either.
                            I'd also add that you add the weight until you reach a point where finishing is difficult. At some point we all reach the limit with that approach, then slow down a bit/mix it up/whatever. Sounds like a good way to get right to your threshhold without overlifting to do it.
                            ----------
                            Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by BennettC View Post
                              I switched back to a split routine but I took some things out of Mehdi's book. I'm using only 4-5 exercises per workout four days a week. chest, arms, legs, back

                              You're 18, you'll be fine doing that split. Oh to be young again
                              ----------
                              Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by bostonwolf View Post
                                You're 18, you'll be fine doing that split. Oh to be young again
                                I'm happier with it already. I learned also that I have to do progressive loading and am seeing better results already. I just like to workout and have plenty of time to do. If you have a journal id love to keep up with your progress. Im posting mine daily
                                Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                                Before and after pics
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                                Primal Sucess Story
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                                Primal Journal
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X