No announcement yet.

What is your definition of "strong"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking I was relatively strong, until I started CrossFit. I can lift reasonably heavy stuff... and people have actually commented that I'm stronger than I appear (well, I don't think I appear weak... it's just the impression people get from the average 4'11" female I guess). BUT I can't do any of the female benchmarks for CrossFit exercises AT ALL lol. I figure once I can surpass the benchmarks, I will consider myself relatively strong .

Comment

I survived hydrocephalus. I survived an abusive and neglectful mother. I survived getting hit by a car. I gave birth to a 4kg baby with no pain relief and no medical intervention *and* no tearing. I breastfed for four years. My body is strong in ways I cannot quantify or control, but I'm supremely grateful for. I can't lift weights for shit, probably, but strength comes in many shapes and sizes.
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
        I survived hydrocephalus. I survived an abusive and neglectful mother. I survived getting hit by a car. I gave birth to a 4kg baby with no pain relief and no medical intervention *and* no tearing. I breastfed for four years. My body is strong in ways I cannot quantify or control, but I'm supremely grateful for. I can't lift weights for shit, probably, but strength comes in many shapes and sizes.
        Tough is not strong. I'm impressed by your toughness though.
        As a side note did you actually turn down the painkillers? Because intentionally choosing that kind of pain is seriously impressive. When most women talk about the pain my brain always chimes in "you had no choice but to have pain at that point so it doesn't count" but turning down painkillers is seriously hardcore.
        In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

I didn't need them so I didn't request them. I got lucky, some births aren't like the one I experienced. Also, pain is getting hit by a car. When you have 10 on the dial set so high, a 5 - especially one that serves a purpose - seems quite acceptable.
          Last edited by badgergirl; 09-15-2012, 01:00 PM.
          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Working...
          X