Making the move from gym to home workouts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the move from gym to home workouts

I am looking for a bit of advice on how to make the most out of home workouts. The past year I had a fair amount of success using a body by science/ slow burn type workout at a gym nearby. However, I switched jobs a few weeks ago and the change in hours has meant that I basically haven't had a convenient time to go there in the last month and a half. Additionally, my membership is up for a year's renewal and I am worried it may not be worthwhile.

So, I am hoping to replace the gym with a full home workout. As background, I am a 28 guy who I would say is in average shape (probably getting above that during the past year, but I was never an athletic person and as I said, I've slacked off this summer due to new job, vacation etc).

My routine before was a twice weekly workout, slow burn style, using machines like leg press, overhead press, bench press, pulldown, ab machine, back extension. Each was repeated once a week, for an "A" workout and a "B" workout.

As far as home goes, I am thinking a kettlebell or two, a pullup bar, and some bodyweight exercises. If anyone has advice or resources for a good routine or good equipment for an effective full body workout for a guy my age trying to put on some muscle, it would be deeply appreciated. I expect that with the convenience of a home workout, I will have greater success sticking with it and pushing my limits.

Thanks in advance.

Without sounding too biased, you could try some sandbag lifting:

Sandbag Fitness

That, coupled with some bodyweight work, would make a great combo.
    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
    Brute Force Sandbags
    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Check out my [somewhat dead] thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64968.html

I've been an on-again off-again fan of BodyRock for quick home workouts. They provide links for the equipment they use, but they also have a lot of body-weight exercises as well.
      Last edited by MissJecka; 09-11-2012, 11:31 AM.
      >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
      >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
      >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I second Palfrey's suggestion - I recommend his training guide as well. My sandbag is back at my parents house and the gf doesn't want it in the apartment so I haven't used it in a while, but it was a ton of fun when I did.

Door frame pull-up bar, weight vest, maybe a yoga mat and you're all set. Most of the door-frame bars double as push-up stands (if you feel you need them) so no need to buy a set of those.

You can do very similar workouts as BBS (time under tension is time under tension, right?) but you should also throw in some reps in there, not just always do BBS style workouts - if only for variety's sake. I'm certainly not interested in starting a discussion over what is better.

This video contains a fuck-load of ideas on what to do with a home gym, Ross is THE man when it comes to minimalist, do-it-yourself workouts and equipment and as you'll see in this video, he's an absolute beast.

Words of Wisdom - Training Compilation (HD) - YouTube

Lastly, if I were you I'd buy a set of gymnastic rings as well, and maybe start exploring the vast world of gymnastic strength building. Also, they're just insanely fun and an easy tool to carry around when travelling and what not. You could take your rings to work and maybe do a workout anywhere there's a tree branch that can sustain your weight. Pull ups and dips are obvious options, but you can also practice isometric holds, start working on straight-arm strength, etc. I wouldn't suggest building your own set honestly, I got a set for $70 from Rogue Fitness (wooden rings, better for grip) and I'm positive they will last me a very, very long time. I feel it's a very worthy investment, but if money is really short then tehre's plenty of suspension trainers that are relatively easy and cheap to build.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
          My sandbag is back at my parents house and the gf doesn't want it in the apartment so I haven't used it in a while
          Sorry, what?!?
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Sorry, what?!?
            What's the confusion? Sandbags have a potential to leak/burst and create a mess nobody wants to really deal with. My parents house (about 30 mins away) has a roofed backyard so that's where I keep my bag, rather than my smaller apartment.

Comment

Wait, does she pay all your bills? Otherwise, why does she get to say what fitness equipment you can have? I wouldn't abide that nonsense for a moment. She ultimately benefits from your fitness anyway, right?

And it's just sand, bro. If it spills, you sweep it with a broom. Really not a big deal to clean up. Just don't get it down your bathing suit.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

ditto on the sandbag.

also, check out programs like primal blueprint fitness and simplefit, which are super easy to at home (all you need is a pull up bar).
                convict conditioning also seems to be popular here. i haven't checked it out yet, but i'm looking for a change and i think i might buy it
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Wait, does she pay all your bills? Otherwise, why does she get to say what fitness equipment you can have? I wouldn't abide that nonsense for a moment. She ultimately benefits from your fitness anyway, right?

And it's just sand, bro. If it spills, you sweep it with a broom. Really not a big deal to clean up. Just don't get it down your bathing suit.
                  I like being considerate, which I find to be very different from asking permission to do something. If the sandbag was my #1 training tool, it'd definitely be here. It's not though, so I see no need to fuss over it. My gf is actually pretty easy going, my door-frame pull-up bar is almost always up on our bedroom door where rings AND a rope are also dangling (the rope is right down the middle) so she has to navigate through them quite often and doesn't mind - it's definitely not a nonsensical female power trip thing, at all.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice so far. I appreciate it and will investigate further. Please don't hijack the thread for the purpose of talking about living with one's significant other though...

Comment

I can't believe no one has mentioned SimpleFit yet. Its a great and very simple bodyweight workout regime. I highly recommend looking into it. You can also check out Al Kavadlo's stuff too, lots of good information coming from him.

Comment

Originally posted by a-ray View Post
                        I can't believe no one has mentioned SimpleFit yet. Its a great and very simple bodyweight workout regime. I highly recommend looking into it. You can also check out Al Kavadlo's stuff too, lots of good information coming from him.
                        Thanks! I'd be particularly interested in any threads or blogs with results or experiences with simplefit or other bodyweight plans. I have to admit that I have a (possibly irrational) skeptical thought or two about the relative efficacy of something like this, but I hope not to let it stand in the way of an open mind.

Comment

you can search and find the whole thread devoted to simplefit, including cheapo's amazing success.
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by mdlaw View Post
                            Thanks! I'd be particularly interested in any threads or blogs with results or experiences with simplefit or other bodyweight plans. I have to admit that I have a (possibly irrational) skeptical thought or two about the relative efficacy of something like this, but I hope not to let it stand in the way of an open mind.
                            Ditto for Primal Blueprint Fitness, btw. My goal is to make an informed choice about what plan to follow and give it a full effort fair shake.

Comment

While I don't have any blogs or other posts about my experience, I'll give you my thoughts on it right now.

I've been doing SimpleFit for what this week, marks 8 weeks. Since I began 8 weeks ago, I myself can clearly see results, both in the way I look (others have also mentioned a noticeable difference) and in my ability to complete the workouts as well as just more strength in general. The simplicity along with the "shortness" of the workouts fits very nicely into my work and school schedule as well.

If you have any other questions, just ask, I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. I agree that you can find many threads about results, etc, but this thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread7663.html is the one that sold me on the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X