No announcement yet.

Hiking shoe question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to all for the replies, I now has some information to think about.....I'll have to try the vibrams to see how I react if I wear a backpack.
    I tried some normal trail running shoes today (on an easy trail about 80 min, fast walking), but wasn't comfortable in them either. I might have a problem with my right foot instead of having shoe problems.... I got that weird burning pain again right under my foot maybe Morton.....

Comment

Originally posted by adamm View Post
      +1. I go hiking and backpacking with the Merrell barefoot style shoes. Love 'em. Trail gloves are great in summer, but true gloves or sonics are great when it gets cold.

--Me
      I went hiking in the Austrian Alps this summer with barefoot merrells. It was cold and windy, feet stayed warm. Good traction on steep terrain. So another +1 for the Merrell's.

The Merrell's lace up around the arch of your foot, so there is NEVER any slippage, no toes ramming into the front of your shoe even when your standing on a sharp incline. The only thing is that you have to step differently. No balancing on the edge of rocks with your arch, you have to step on the ball of your foot.

Edit: I bought men's trail gloves, they worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by lissee View Post
        I went hiking in the Austrian Alps this summer with barefoot merrells. It was cold and windy, feet stayed warm. Good traction on steep terrain. So another +1 for the Merrell's.

The Merrell's lace up around the arch of your foot, so there is NEVER any slippage, no toes ramming into the front of your shoe even when your standing on a sharp incline. The only thing is that you have to step differently. No balancing on the edge of rocks with your arch, you have to step on the ball of your foot.

Edit: I bought men's trail gloves, they worked just fine.
        I would love to buy some of the Merrell men's shoes, but alas my feet are too small. I wear a 6.5/7 in women's and the smallest they offer in men's are a men's size 7. I wore the Merrell Contour Glove almost all winter last year and my feet stayed comfortable, they are waterproof, but we had a really mild winter last year so I'm not sure how they would do during a normal winter.

Comment

Same here, size wise! I'm still tempted to try a size 7 men's though....... I can order from places, that if they don't fit, I can send them back.

Comment

Merells men sizes are quite small. I have the Mighty Gloves (a womens model) in size 39 and the Trail Gloves men in 41 and they are quite the same size. (That would be size 6 and 7 in the UK. Interestingly the US sizes are 8.5 for the womens and 7.5 for the mens. Don't know what sizes they use in France)

I hiked in Scandinavia this summer with my Vivobarefoot NeoTrail. 110 km through relatively flat terrain, but with lots of rocks on the trail. I have to agree with sbhikes regarding a stiffer sole. I had no problems with the soft sole of the NeoTrails, but it took lots of concentration to where you place your feet and to avoid the sharp ridges on the rocks. A stiffer sole would have helped here. But it can be done!
            Turnstone's world - not really a journal...

Comment

For hiking the Treks are pretty good. You just need to make sure you are used to them, otherwise, in the winter I would get myself a nice pair of moccasins with sheeps wool inside. There is nothing more comfortable.
              sigpic

Comment

I finally made my own, Barefoot Ted style. It's completely amazing, after a few weeks of getting used to them. Perfect for hiking.

Comment

I have some homemade huaraches, but when you are going down a steep hill or if there's a steep side-slope, the toe thing thing is very painful. If the trail is pretty gentle they are pretty fun to hike in.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by cath47 View Post
                    Last year, august, about a year before going primal, I bought some expensive hiking shoes.... They were very confortable for about half an hour wearing them in the shop. Only this year I really got to use them... and they are not confortable at all while walking in the pyrenees mountains! After about an hour, my right foot feels crushed, my toes get hurt while walking downhill which really exagerates the pain in my big toes (hallux valgus tendancy), and I really, really felt clumsy with a pair of boots so big and stiff!
                    About two weeks ago I received a pair of Vibram KSO trek shoes, and I'm trying to get adapted to them. So far so good! I've done two small one hour walks (with a little running in between), no pain at all!
                    But I'm not sure if the KSO trek would hold up in the pyrenees mountains... sharp rocks and all.... What are your ideas about hiking shoes that I could use, can I use the KSO treks? (that is, if my feet would stand more than 6 hours walking in them! should probably train a bit more!)
                    Another question, summer will not last forever (although last year until november I was still wearing my sandals!) and I just hate the thought of putting my feet in shoes again, what are confortable "barefoot" shoes to wear that look like normal shoes?

Thanks for your answer!
                    Karine
                    I do not know much about hiking shoes per say; i actually am trying to find some minimalist hiking shoes myself. however for minimals normal shoes, you should check a site called lems. they have zero drop shoes and different kinds. one is even a dress/work shoe called ninetofive.

Comment

Working...
                    X