No announcement yet.

Considering barbell programs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need a regimented program to follow.... unless you want one.

Here's a squat program I posted about a while ago

if you are trying to add strength you will add strength by lifting heavy 3-4 times a week. Just alternate squats, deadlifts, bench, press etc. I would recommend explosive movements like cleans, snatch - power is more practicially effective outside the gym than strength training (imho oc).

edit also consider crossfit barbell wods and strength wods like Gator, The Bear Complex (my fav), Grace, Isabel. Bear Complex could make you crazy strong everywhere by itself.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 09-10-2012, 08:11 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
      About half of any program is progression and that won't happen as quickly without more testosterone.
      Alex, until you go do some actual research on women and lifting, I'd suggest you stop talking out of your ass. Women can progress just fine, although our max weight may be smaller and we don't gain the same mass.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
        You don't need a regimented program to follow.... unless you want one.

Here's a squat program I posted about a while ago

if you are trying to add strength you will add strength by lifting heavy 3-4 times a week. Just alternate squats, deadlifts, bench, press etc. I would recommend explosive movements like cleans, snatch - power is more practicially effective outside the gym than strength training (imho oc).

edit also consider crossfit barbell wods and strength wods like Gator, The Bear Complex (my fav), Grace, Isabel. Bear Complex could make you crazy strong everywhere by itself.
        TFC, I definitely want to keep some explosive movements, especially cleans since I find that movement has good real life application.
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
          Alex, until you go do some actual research on women and lifting, I'd suggest you stop talking out of your ass. Women can progress just fine, although our max weight may be smaller and we don't gain the same mass.
          Are you saying you can up your squat 5-10lbs every workout like some programs tell you to?
          In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Not at this point in my progress since I am approaching a 200-pound squat, which is getting pretty heavy for a woman my size. But during my beginner months, absolutely I could.

Most dudes don't add 5 to 10 pounds per workout after a couple of years either.

Owly's Journal

Comment

I've seen her legs, she can continue to do whatever the heck she wants to with those, fo' real doe.
              If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

Lol! Thanks

Owly's Journal

Comment

I'm probably no farther along than you are, so I can't really give you expert advice. I would say you are past SS, as it really is a program just to get you "basically strong". I mean, even the advanced power lifters spend alot of time doing "assistance" exercises, and you can only go so far doing basic bench, press, squats and DLs without broadening your base, especially as you stop being a novice and need more stimulation to grow (either in strength, in hypertrophy, or both).

531 would probably work for you and your partner, as for men it is a good mix of both strength and mass. I'm sure women develop strength on it well, but y'all are mass challenged

--Me

Comment

Yeah, 5/3/1 might work for us. I'll need to look at what the options are since I want to keep both the barbell lifts and stuff like pullups in there. This is what happens when nerds get into lifting--I find myself researching programs and reading journal articles and stuff.

And yeah, we're more mass challenged than you dudes for sure, but I'm okay with that (although I also like having some visible muscle and enjoy looking strong rather than skinny).

I would like to work with a program, though, because although I've been lifting for a while, I haven't really done it self-directed, so I want to get more of a sense of lifting without the structure of a coached class.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Yeah, 5/3/1 might work for us. I'll need to look at what the options are since I want to keep both the barbell lifts and stuff like pullups in there. This is what happens when nerds get into lifting--I find myself researching programs and reading journal articles and stuff.

And yeah, we're more mass challenged than you dudes for sure, but I'm okay with that (although I also like having some visible muscle and enjoy looking strong rather than skinny).

I would like to work with a program, though, because although I've been lifting for a while, I haven't really done it self-directed, so I want to get more of a sense of lifting without the structure of a coached class.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Madcow or Compound solution for punny arms but seriously with your numbers any advanced routine will do.
                        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                        PS
                        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Took a good look at 531 last night and I think we are going to give it a try. It's similar to what I'm used to doing as a percentage-based program with a rotating set of lifts, which has gotten me good results in the past. I hope it will be a good fit for both of us. We'll see how it goes over a cycle. Thanks everyone for your help! I'll probably talk about how it goes over in my journal.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                            Took a good look at 531 last night and I think we are going to give it a try. It's similar to what I'm used to doing as a percentage-based program with a rotating set of lifts, which has gotten me good results in the past. I hope it will be a good fit for both of us. We'll see how it goes over a cycle. Thanks everyone for your help! I'll probably talk about how it goes over in my journal.
                            Glad you liked it. I thought it would resonate, as it is "compatible" (for lack of a better term) with SS/Stronglifts/MadCow/etc approach to training.

Please let me know how it works; the good, the bad, and the ugly

--Me

Comment

Working...
                            X