Budget Weight Vest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Weight Vest

I'm interested in getting a weight vest, about 20-30 lbs, to spice up my bodyweight work. However, I'm on a budget. Less than $100 is acceptable, but less than $50 is preferable. Any ideas?

Heavy duty back pack and some weights
    Or see if you can find one second hand
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Comment

Canadian company but 45 lbs Micro adjustable weighted vest -Fitness Accessories - The Treadmill Factory
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Here is a selection of weight vests

Amazon.com: weight vests: Sports & Outdoors

And

Cheap Weight Vest - Weights: Compare Prices, Reviews & Buy Online @ Yahoo! Shopping

Comment

I just made one. I have a nice columbia backpack that has chest and waist straps. went to home depot and bought a 50lb bag of sand for $4 and some change. filled up gallon zip lock bags with it and wala!
          Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
          Before and after pics
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
          Primal Sucess Story
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
          Primal Journal
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

I would second (or third) the backpack idea but you end up having to buy a good quality backpack so that it doesn't rip under the weight. A cheapo pack from Wal-Mart is likely not going to last you very long. I bought mine off of Craigslist.com in Houston. I paid $40 bucks for it and it is a 45# vest. Not a bad idea. Also look for backpacks on Craigs and try and stick to the tactical type since they are better suited to heavy loads than most others.
            Randal
            AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
            Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
            http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Lead shot is denser than sand, so you can get the same weight (or more) without it taking as much space as sand, which would be better if using a backpack.

I have no personal experience with it though, just seen it used instead of sand for "sand" bags.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                Lead shot is denser than sand, so you can get the same weight (or more) without it taking as much space as sand, which would be better if using a backpack.

I have no personal experience with it though, just seen it used instead of sand for "sand" bags.
                Sometimes too much density can be an issue as well- 80lbs of fuel for a pellet stove fills a seabag/ large duffle bag pretty nicely, without much extra space. I wouldn't want to carry 80lbs of sand in a duffle on my back, as it would sit funny and be really awkward to wear. 50lbs of sand just fits in my one backpack, and it doesn't balance well- I need to break it down and repack it so that the weight is higher on my shoulders. Lead might be easier to distribute the weight how I like it, or maybe harder, but I'd definitely have to fill more space in the bag in order to shift the weight higher.

The difference between a weight vest and a backpack is that a weight vest is simulating that you are heavier, while a backpack is something heavy strapped to your back. The weight vest will move with you, right with your center of gravity, while a backpack can throw you off quite a bit.

Lead may or may not be easier here, but I'm sure it's more expensive- first link on Google says $104 for 50 lbs, as opposed to the $5 or so for the sand.

Comment

Working...
                X