Body by Science

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body by Science

So I just got done reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living/The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance and Body by Science. I'm revved up and ready to go...but somehow I missed the part where they tell you where to start as far as weight goes.

I read something about 80% of your max ...I don't know my max. I got into the fitness room and lets just say I didn't get anywhere close to going to positive failure. Which for those who haven't read the book means pulling or pushing the weight until you can't anymore. You keep trying for a good fifteen seconds at the end of a move like chest press and that's when you are done with that set.

If it helps I'm 6'1" 28 years old 29 on the 27th of October...I guess I could just say 29....its close enough..anyway. I've been obese for awhile and am still losing weight...I think I'm technically overweight now...not sure but I'm down to 241 from a high of 275 in recent history and my high quite awhile ago was 297. I'd really like to get some strength but need to know where to start. Also either the machines at this Recreation center suck...I think they do and/or I need to make adjustments because I couldn't seem to get in the leg press without my lower back hurting. I tried adjusting the seat and such but couldn't get it to a good point.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

So I am guessing it means the level of resistance you need to use. That 80% equates to 80% of your 1 rep max. So, if for arguments sake, you could deadlift 100kg, 80% of 1RM would be 80kg.

This level of weight is generally for strength and some hypertrophy, heavy, but low reps, perhaps 6 -8 range?

Here is a little calculator to help

Comment

The theory behind body by science is based around slow, controlled movements and time under tension - I'd have to check back in the book, but I believe the recommendation is to find a weight that you can raise/lower slowly for somewhere in the neighborhood of ~90 seconds. Adjust weight accordingly if it's too heavy or too light relative to this.

Comment

So I basically have to find what works by trial and error. I'm too lazy for that :P....lol
        Body Fat 25.4%
        Fat Mass 63.721
        Fat Free Mass 74.6%
        Fat Free Mass 187.087
        Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Comment

Originally posted by raiken3712 View Post
          so i basically have to find what works by trial and error. I will create a plan to locate that max rep over the next 6 sessions. Thanks for the advice
          tftfy
          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Raiken3712 View Post
            I read something about 80% of your max ...I don't know my max.
            Find a weight you can just about shift, it shouldn't take long. Then, use a weight 75-80% of that and use good form to raise and lower it taking between 10 and 12 seconds or so per rep. When you just cannot move it any more, try for just a couple of seconds and then stop. Keep breathing, I sort of hyperventilate to make sure that I do not hold my breath and strain. When I get to 7 to 9 reps, I go to the next weight up. I get jelly legs and spaghetti arms after a session. I've been doing this since the beginning of July at one session a week and have always done more reps or had to add more weight.

What does one do when the maximum weight is too small? I ask as I'll be using the maximum for my Leg Press starting next week.
            Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

you can find your 1rep max even if you train for like 3 days .

THere's a formula around here on how to find it, just check google a little
              Want to handstand like Bruce Lee ?

Check lostartofhandbalancing.com

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                tftfy
                lol thanks quelsen for the laugh ok locate max over 6 sessions will try
                Body Fat 25.4%
                Fat Mass 63.721
                Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel View Post
                  Find a weight you can just about shift, it shouldn't take long. Then, use a weight 75-80% of that and use good form to raise and lower it taking between 10 and 12 seconds or so per rep. When you just cannot move it any more, try for just a couple of seconds and then stop. Keep breathing, I sort of hyperventilate to make sure that I do not hold my breath and strain. When I get to 7 to 9 reps, I go to the next weight up. I get jelly legs and spaghetti arms after a session. I've been doing this since the beginning of July at one session a week and have always done more reps or had to add more weight.

What does one do when the maximum weight is too small? I ask as I'll be using the maximum for my Leg Press starting next week.
                  Just about shift as in almost lift but not quite? So that would be a weight above my max. That's why you said 75-80 instead of 80....that makes sense. If I understand you correctly.
                  Body Fat 25.4%
                  Fat Mass 63.721
                  Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                  Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Pictures by Raiken3712 - Photobucket

These photos are recent. If that helps determine my starting level at all or any advice you might have for me.
                    Body Fat 25.4%
                    Fat Mass 63.721
                    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                    Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

2 ways:

1) try this link

Strength Standards

Find a weight you know you can handle for each. Either the bar or 10lbs on each end. Then input your numbers. It will give you a VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE for you max.

For example, you do benchpress, 80lbs x 17 (on the last rep you struggle but not completely fail). according to the calc, your 1 rep max is 117lbs. 80% of that is ~90lbs.

or

2) Start with a low weight for 5 reps then increase 10lbs until the 5 reps become hard. For example:

Start with an empty barbell on bench press (45lb bar). Do 5 reps at an even and controlled pace. 1 sec up, 1 sec down.

Keep adding 10lbs (5lbs on each side) and continue to do reps until the rate at which you press up has significantly changed (slowed down, sticking points etc). I would start with that weight. Write it down.

I'm not sure but does Body by Science have a progression scheme?
                      Last edited by pacificBeef; 09-07-2012, 02:27 PM.
                      Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Originally posted by Raiken3712 View Post
                        Just about shift as in almost lift but not quite? So that would be a weight above my max. That's why you said 75-80 instead of 80....that makes sense. If I understand you correctly.
                        I obviously didn't word that properly. Find the weight that you can just about manage to lift, then go to 75-80% to do repetitions in good form while continuing to breath.
                        Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Gotcha makes sense....just being dumb I think. Me that is not you
                          Body Fat 25.4%
                          Fat Mass 63.721
                          Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                          Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

One Rep Max Calculator

Just used this and plugged in 23 reps at 50 pounds for a one rep max of 129 seated row, 120 pounds at 65 reps one rep max -154 legpress...confused, and 10 reps at 70 pounds for a one rep max pulldown.

Does this not work if you use rep numbers that are too high? I guess I just don't understand the tool I'm using.

96.75 Seated Row, 115.5 Leg Press???, 69.75 Pulldown.
                            Body Fat 25.4%
                            Fat Mass 63.721
                            Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                            Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Pulldown seems quite a bit less than Seated Row...does this make any sense? Maybe its because I already did Seated row and Pulldown uses some of the same muscles? Maybe I didn't really go to muscular failure...hmm

Oh well its a starting point I guess I can refine it as time goes on.
                              Body Fat 25.4%
                              Fat Mass 63.721
                              Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                              Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Working...
                              X