No announcement yet.

Body by Science

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It shouldn't be that hard to find your 1 rep max. Just start by seeing what you can lift (start high and work low). Try a weight that you're not sure if you can lift, and if it's too heavy to do a single rep, then go to the next lowest weight etc. Then, once you've got that, calculate 80% of it.

Different exercises you'll need to do at different weights.

It's not actually possible to tell by looking at someone what sort of weight they can lift, either! Looks can be deceiving. Some really skinny guys can lift surprising amounts (and girls too!). Some bigger guys have a lot less strength than it looks like they should have.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
      It shouldn't be that hard to find your 1 rep max. Just start by seeing what you can lift (start high and work low). Try a weight that you're not sure if you can lift, and if it's too heavy to do a single rep, then go to the next lowest weight etc. Then, once you've got that, calculate 80% of it.

Different exercises you'll need to do at different weights.

It's not actually possible to tell by looking at someone what sort of weight they can lift, either! Looks can be deceiving. Some really skinny guys can lift surprising amounts (and girls too!). Some bigger guys have a lot less strength than it looks like they should have.
      Makes sense thanks for the input. I think I have my starting points...see how this works next week. I understand why once a week is supposed to be all that's necessary but waiting for next time is hard lol. I've heard about people starting with twice a week I think I'll try that for now since I'm probably not working efficiently yet anyway. See what I feel like after.

With a twice a week schedule what makes the most sense? Sunday and Wednesday? Or Sunday and Thursday?
      Height: 6'1"
      Primal start date: July 1st 2011
      Start Weight: 275
      Current Weight: 248
      Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
      Body Fat 25.4%
      Fat Mass 63.721
      Fat Free Mass 74.6%
      Fat Free Mass 187.087
      Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
      Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Raiken3712 View Post
        With a twice a week schedule what makes the most sense? Sunday and Wednesday? Or Sunday and Thursday?
        Nope. The body takes five to fifteen days to fully recover depending on your genes. If you try a five day interlude and do not get any/much improvement, you are training too often and should leave a longer rest period. It takes between one and three months for the body to start losing muscle mass. The only reason to have reasonably frequent sessions is to increase the muscle mass at the fastest possible rate. The fastest possible is to train every five days. IF your body is of the type to allow that frequency.

Once I'm a s strong as I am going to be I shall drop the frequency to as long as I can make it without losing strength. I do however enjoy my short HIT rowing sessions and intersperse them with BBS at the rate of two a week. I leave three days after a BBS session before doing the first rowing one. Then the second is two days before my next BBS bout.
        Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

I've been weight training on HIT since the late 1970's and never paid any attention to 1 rep max unless I wanted to see how much I could bench. I'd set a goal of 10-12 rep (15-20 reps for deep squats). If I got 12 reps it was time to increase the weight for the next workout. Time under tension is 60-90 seconds.

If you are just starting out lifting and your trying to find your workout weight per exercise I wouldn't worry about lifting 2-3 times per week...at first. Beginners can actually tolerate lifting more often. As you get stronger and bigger over time you body will be able to increase (and handle) higher intensity loading. It's that ability to up the intensity that's going to require you to take more time between workouts. That and aging.

If you really want to have a HIT workout get about 10-12 people, a rope, and have a tug-of-war match in sand (something where you have good footing). 3-5 minutes of that will wipe you out. That is by far the most intense exercise I've ever done. I've run 15ks and came away feeling hypoglycemic for the rest of the day. 5-10 minutes of tug-of-war will make you feel just as depleted.
          Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Yeah I only thought that two workouts a week would be fine because I'm not sure I did the exercise properly and reached positive failure. Considering how new to this I am I think I probably stopped short. If I feel anything lingering maybe I'll skip it but I want to see if I can tell anything.

Supposedly if you get to failure your at the point where your actually a bit weaker until you recover. If I haven't recovered by Wednesday or Thursday I'll have my answer. I'm only planning on twice a week for a few times...if I think I'm fully recovered.

If I do the exact same amount than I think that will be a sign that I was fully recovered...or if I do more.
            Body Fat 25.4%
            Fat Mass 63.721
            Fat Free Mass 74.6%
            Fat Free Mass 187.087
            Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Comment

since you are starting out pay attention to how long it takes your soreness to go away. If you are still sore you haven't recovered from the previous workout.
              Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Makes sense It's Tuesday and I have barely any soreness left. We'll see. Thanks for the tips.
                Body Fat 25.4%
                Fat Mass 63.721
                Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Originally posted by Raiken3712 View Post
                  Yeah I only thought that two workouts a week would be fine because I'm not sure I did the exercise properly and reached positive failure. Considering how new to this I am I think I probably stopped short. If I feel anything lingering maybe I'll skip it but I want to see if I can tell anything.

Supposedly if you get to failure your at the point where your actually a bit weaker until you recover. If I haven't recovered by Wednesday or Thursday I'll have my answer. I'm only planning on twice a week for a few times...if I think I'm fully recovered.

If I do the exact same amount than I think that will be a sign that I was fully recovered...or if I do more.
                  If you do more.
                  The reason why I went from the big 5 to the big 3, is smaller muscles were fatigued before I did the next exercise. If I did my chest press I had a better time but not the shoulder press. That is why I went to the 3.

Failure to exceed your previous lifts, is due to the fact you haven't given yourself enough time to recover.

Failure means damage to your muscles. You need time to heal.

Comment

Your right if I do more than it would be evidence I waited long enough. Good point. Sadly this fitness room is missing the equipment for chest press and overhead press. I can do a pulldown, less press, and seated row
                    Body Fat 25.4%
                    Fat Mass 63.721
                    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                    Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Do I need to lower the weight or just increase time between workouts? I need to read Body by Science again I think....I forget things too easy...I think I know what to do but not sure.

My first BBS workout after finding out a starting weight ended in 7 reps at 90 lb 1:30 TUL Seated Row, 12 reps 200 lb 1:30 TUL Leg Press, and Pulldown 10 reps 70 lb 1:50 TUL.

My second was Seated row 90 lb 7 reps 1:05 TUL, No Leg Press Machine, 60 lb 12 rep 2:00 TUL Pulldown, 95 lb 7 rep 1:10 TUL Shoulder Press

So whats next?

I'm thinking I need to reduce weight and/or allow more recovery for Seated row, and increase weight for the pulldown?

I hate being new to stuff feel so lost...
                      Last edited by Raiken3712; 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM.
                      Body Fat 25.4%
                      Fat Mass 63.721
                      Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                      Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

I may be missing something here... correct me if I am wrong.
                        Seated row was 25 seconds less, but the same number of reps and weight.
                        What was the "10 reps, 70lbs 1:50lbs TUL" in the first workout? Is that the shoulder press?

Would you confirm the order of the exercises. That too makes a difference.

Thanks

Comment

Yes, Seated row was 25 seconds less with the same reps and weight.

That was the Pulldown...forgot to label it.

I just realized my TULs may be meaningless at the moment...even though I started out intending to do a 10 sec cadence....I ended up doing free form ...just trying to do the movement at a steady pace and do it correctly. If my cadence was faster that probably accounts for the decrease in TUL on the Seated Row.

....I really have to have a set cadence for my numbers to mean anything...unless I'm thinking about it incorrectly....I mean number of reps at weight still means something but trying to stay within a 60-90 sec window without a standard cadence of 4 up 4 down or 10 up 10 down or whatever ......

If this thinking is correct let me know...also I would love for input on what my cadence should be...I need to read more on this. I've heard several different things from 10 sec positive ....not sure you can call it positive but the other part is called a negative...can't remember if there was another name for the first part...

I really like Body by Science but can't remember what they specifically recommended or why...guess I could go reread that for help.

Thanks for any and all advice as always look forward to it.
                          Last edited by Raiken3712; 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM.
                          Body Fat 25.4%
                          Fat Mass 63.721
                          Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                          Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Originally posted by Vick View Post
                            I may be missing something here... correct me if I am wrong.
                            Seated row was 25 seconds less, but the same number of reps and weight.
                            What was the "10 reps, 70lbs 1:50lbs TUL" in the first workout? Is that the shoulder press?

Would you confirm the order of the exercises. That too makes a difference.

Thanks
                            Order was

Seated Row
                            Leg Press
                            Pulldown

Seated Row
                            Pulldown
                            Shoulder Press

Recreation center one had a leg press, but no shoulder press and recreation center two had a shoulder press but no leg press.

Neither has a Chest Press .....the second has a barbell that I lifted 10 times with 50 pounds on it...but don't feel comfortable doing without a spotter...as I'm inexperienced...I could just use light weights to make sure I'm fine but couldn't go to failure...I don't know. Really annoying they don't have the Big 5 or even the Big 3.
                            Last edited by Raiken3712; 09-17-2012, 09:24 PM.
                            Body Fat 25.4%
                            Fat Mass 63.721
                            Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                            Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

The cadence should be at a speed that you are comfortable with. Even though Dr. McGuff likes a slow one, there is no evidence that rep speed effects muscle growth.

It is hard to go TUL and reps. Use one or the other, again whichever you feel comfortable with. I like TUL but that is a personal choice. Usually you take more time off between sessions if you aren't reaching a greater load each session.

If you have no chest press you can use push ups or use dumb bells. Dumb bells allow you to go to fatigue without dropping them on yourself. Just be prepared with the direction you will move your arms at failure so you don't screw up one of your joints.

Don't worry about the 60 to 90 second time. While that is a good zone your body will find the natural time you want to shoot for before up the weights.

With your upper body try and incorporate a push and pull each session. First session do the pulldown and shoulder press. Next session do the row and chest press. it will to a better work out.

Hop this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts Vick Yes, it helps greatly.

I think I'll just do reps...TUL would be fine with a personal trainer/person who knows what they are doing...maybe if I can get my brother to workout with me at some point...

Until than trying to run a timer and stuff is just more work than I would like. So if I do more reps than I can increase weight. If I do less I need to either take a bigger break or reduce weight....final thing I need to clarify...is there a way to know which I need? Failing to do a higher number of weight could either mean I need more recovery or that I need to do less weight...how am I supposed to know the difference again?
                                Body Fat 25.4%
                                Fat Mass 63.721
                                Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                                Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Working...
                                X