No announcement yet.

Russian Guy dies dropping bench press.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Guy dies dropping bench press.

Tough video to watch.

Here is the link to the story.

VIDEO: Weightlifter Dies After Dropping Bar On His Chest | SportsGrid
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

The spotters are to blame here. A real tragic story.

Comment

That's why humans have thumbs. This may be tragic but he sacrificed his own safety with his grip and therefore it was his own fault.
      In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Damn, that sucks.
        People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Horrific, not a pleasant watch, naturally I watched it twice as well.
          Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

have to agree...not a fan of that grip or of the spotting. terrible...

Comment

Definitely not watching the video; I'll just use my imagination and read the article.

That's awful... and I agree with the comment about the fact that the spotters probably failed most of all.
              >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
              >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
              >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I agree about the spotters. That was my first thought as well.
                I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                My Journal

Comment

Oh, that's so sad.
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Spotters are there for if you lack the strength to get the bar back up. He really was just asking for it with that grip so it's not their fault at all.
                    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Unfortunately that grip is used a lot in power-lifting because there is no stress on the joint between the thumb and finger. I have seen guys dump it like that before, but not that much weight.
                      I still see it as the spotter's fault, partially. One of the most important things you do as a spotter is keep the lifter safe, regardless of their position/setup/grip. If one of them had a problem with the grip (which they don't) they should have said something. If this was a sanctioned competition in the U.S. or Canada (only two where I know the rules) the spotters are required to stop a lift before it starts if there is any question about setup.
                      People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

when someone asks me what it looks like for someone to have their thumb up their ass, i can say 'that guy in the red shirt'
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                        lol

Comment

He had a closed grip as opposed to the open grip. It just came out.

An attachment for each side of the bench's uprights would be similar to doing bench press in a power rack which is a safer, more secure way of spotting for the bench press which can help reduce the human element of f*ck uppery. 2 regular spotters and 2 equipment guys. Done.

Comment

wow that was horrible
                            “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
                            — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Comment

Whyyyy did I watch that. Whyyyy.
                              Steph
                              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Working...
                              X