Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should you do bodyweight workouts?

Hey gang! Do you guys do body weight workouts? Notice any benefit from the
    ? I usually just lift heavy, barbell workouts, going just fine, but I think there is something to be said about doing 20 strict pullups or 100+ pushups with ease. What does everyone think?

Check out the link at the top of this forum to Marks workout. It will change how you approach training.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

Check out Welcome to You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises by Mark Lauren

Also, I just started following Mark's "Essential Primal Movement Progression" from his PB Fitness e-book. Here's my thread about it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64950.html. I still have a kettlebell, a resistance band, ankle weights, and two pairs of dumbbells. I rarely use the ankle weights for my lower body workouts, yet my lower body is probably the strongest part of me. I use dumbbells still, but plan on phasing them out as I follow Mark's program for a while.

So, yes, you can do bodyweight-only moves and be just fine! (I'm sure the many crossfitters out there are going to kill me now!)
      Last edited by MissJecka; 08-24-2012, 10:36 AM.
      >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
      >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
      >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I do body weight exercises and I don't lift heavy. What kind of results are you looking for? I personally think being able to move your body in space is really beneficial. I like the improved balance. I like the toned muscles. I like that I feel strong for other exercises without having to spend a lot of time doing those other exercises (can't go for long hikes or bike rides every day, you know.) I find body weight exercises to be very hard and I get sore every damn time I do them so I assume they must be doing something every single time.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

i do both, bodyweight and barbell. love 'em both! check out al kavadlo's site.

Comment

Goals aside, I was just trying to have an open discussion, I squat 280 and deadlift 350 etc, I have no problems with my workouts just curious about people's thoughts on bodyweight stuff.

Comment

Looking at Al Kavaldo, it's pretty obvious body weight exercise can give someone incredible strength and a great body. Plus I think there's a measure of elegance in simplicity to body weight workouts.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Plus, it gives the little guys a chance to outdo the big guys. I may never squat 500 pounds, but I can do more muscle-ups than most dudes who can. So 1 more vote for yes.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I do a combination of the Convict Conditioning program and a version of Pavel's "Power to the People" workout. Two days a week are CC (I'm not ready to go to 3 days a week on his program, according to the author). One day a week is my PtoP workout. I do dead lifts and Russian Military Presses.

Sometimes I do another day or two of other things for fun. Sometimes I'll do tire flips and sled pulls. Or I'll do kettle bell juggling.

Since I started this split, I quickly brought by dead lifts back to where they were previously (305 x 5); and I exceeded my previous bests on RMP (70 x 7 per side - or 2 pood for you purists!).

I think the time spent on the CC workouts have really helped my dead lifts and RMP's. I think my joints and arms are much stronger after doing 6 months of CC than they were doing things like P90x or the programs I was following previously.

I really enjoy the split, too. I'm hoping this whole primal thing works with it. (It seems like it should).

In terms of body weight stuff which might help you, given the lifts and weights you mentioned, some box jumps might add to what you do. Also, a power lifter I knew a few years ago used to do something like an L-hold close-grip pull-up. That looked like it would be handy for what you are talking about.

Comment

Tacfit, it's probably the most advanced bodyweight system available today.

Comment

Bodyweight workout can be a lot of fun and can definitely build muscle, as guys like Al and the Barbarians, etc. demonstrate.

Personally, i don't think you should have to choose between weights or no weights permanently. They are both great for different things, and it makes a lot of sense to cycle between various kinds of training as your goals change.

Barbells are probably the easiest tool for adding size. Not the only tool, but probably the easiest. Bodyweight movements focus more on... movement, so they build balance and skill in different ways. Either one can be extremely beneficial.

Originally posted by sandstone View Post
                      Tacfit, it's probably the most advanced bodyweight system available today.
                      I'd be really interested in knowing what metrics you use to determine "advanced-ness"

Comment

Yeah I think I'm going to do a few days of bodyweight just for the challenge, like one leg squats, or pushup variations, but still keep in heavy squats and deadlifts etc.

Not really interested in Tacfit, I checked it out real fast, anything with COMMANDO, WARRIOR, BARBARIAN, GODZILLA, ANIT-PUSSY on it and a price tag seems a little to gimmicky for me.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFossett View Post
                          Personally, i don't think you should have to choose between weights or no weights permanently. They are both great for different things,
                          Either one can be extremely beneficial.
                          I agree.
                          I do bodyweight movements on gymnast's rings for most of my strength based stuff, but I also incorporate weights for lower body work.
                          Either method is simply a means to an end, and, as stated above, your goals should dictate your method.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFossett View Post
                            I'd be really interested in knowing what metrics you use to determine "advanced-ness"
                            Hi Andy, I've done R1 & P1, I enjoyed them (especially R1) but for me Tacfit is a better fit. PM me if want customer feedback.

@ Wolfman

Agree about the packaging being a bit corny but Tacfit and CST generally is great stuff and has a very different and original perspective than say CC, Al K, YAYOG.

Commando is 9 months of workout even if you hit all the progressions full time- I did it for 12 months and could probably have cycled through the final level again for 15 months (but I was mentally ready for a change by then).

Even if you don't do the program, to incorporate some of their recovery methods is beneficial. I'm sure Andy would agree.

Comment

Originally posted by sandstone View Post
                              Hi Andy, I've done R1 & P1, I enjoyed them (especially R1) but for me Tacfit is a better fit. PM me if want customer feedback.
                              I don't have a problem with Tacfit, but I know quite a bit about the system (you're likely aware of that) and was curious about the label "advanced." Just seemed like an odd assertion depending on how you define your terms. If it's a good fit for you, by all means carry on with what's working for you.

And if you do have feedback on GMB stuff, we're always listening. (And btw, thanks!)

Originally posted by counterpuncher
                              Either method is simply a means to an end, and, as stated above, your goals should dictate your method.
                              Yeah, training should support the goal. Even if the goal is just to have some damn fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X