How strong should I be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How strong should I be?

Hey all, just thinking, feeling weak in the gym as of late. Just wanted to throw my numbers out there and see what other people were hitting, I just don't know if I am strong, sometimes I feel strong sometimes I don't.

Squat: 275 x 3
    Military: 135 x5
    Dead: 315 x 1
    Bench: 245 x 2

All my lifts feel fine except my bench, it just always feels so heavy.

Your age, height, weight, fitness level would help, but overall they don't look too shabby.

Comment

What routine do you do? It may be time to mix up an advanced 5x5 or 3x5 routine
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

5'10, 168, I was doing 5x5 pretty much, main lifts being military, dead, squat, bench, with some accessory work.

Comment

I feel like if my bench was that high my squat and dead would be much higher. I can't bench nearly that much but can squat and dead more. But then again my upper body is much weaker than my lower body... don't know why. Nonetheless, that's plenty strong
          I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Comment

Originally posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
            I feel like if my bench was that high my squat and dead would be much higher. I can't bench nearly that much but can squat and dead more. But then again my upper body is much weaker than my lower body... don't know why. Nonetheless, that's plenty strong
            That's much like my friend who is an aspiring power lifter. He's also around 5'10" and pry 160 ish. His squat is around 325, dead 390-400, not sure press but his bench is relatively weak at 225 x 1. The reason the bench probably feels so heavy is that your core is isolated against the bench. All the other lifts have your entire body to support the movement.

Comment

So much of what one can ultimately lift is genetics. It all has to do with leverage and tendon length. That's why there are guys who appear to have little muscle that can lift way more than guys who appear to have lots of muscle. So strength is all relative. If you do this long enough, you'll accept where you are as far as a range goes and then you work to improve within that range. There is no sense worrying even a little about it as it is what it is.

The key and goal is to be as strong as YOU can be within those predetermined genetic parameters.

Comment

To me those are weights that I'd be happy with as goal weights. I don't understand why EVERYBODY is stronger than me here, even 10 year old girls it seems. But at the same time I'm stronger than basically everybody I know personally (?)

Squat - 150 x 3 x 5
                Bench - 120 x 3 x 5
                Press- 110 x 3 x 5
                Deadlift 170 x 3 x 5

After 5 months SS.
                Sorry, just had to vent. But yeah I say you're strong
                well then

Comment

I'd say your ratios are out slightly and it would be good to see the deadlift up a little higher. Also, what are your singles for the squat. OHP and bench?
                  Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                  Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                  The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                  Brute Force Sandbags
                  www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                  http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I haven't ever tried to reach my one rep max, I deadlifted 315, it was heavy, but I didn't struggle. I should probably figure out my 1RM for my lifts and work off percentages of that via 5/3/1, I just guess usually, 245 on the bench was hard, my brother had to spot me slightly, so I would say 1RM would be about 250 or maybe 255.

For me it's confusing reading all the articles I read, Dave Tate, Jim Wendler, etc, and then I read some primal stuff and read up on Mark Rippatoe and everyone's saying just do the barbell lifts, so I do that, but I know my shoulders and back and tricepts need attention that just pressing won't give.

Comment

It can be confusing with the huge array of different programmes and information on offer. It sounds as though you could do with a little goal setting before making any adjustments. The standard barbell programmes are strength programmes but that actually isn't what a lot of people want or need - it's just become very trendy for our industry to jump on that bandwagon. It's at a point now where people can be frowned upon for doing anything outside a certain programme and that's just plain bullshit. It happens on this forum too.

What's most important is that your programming supports your goals. What are your goals?
                      Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...Ri3o_q3Q&pli=1
                        Here's some strength standards by weight and training level courtesy of the Internet.

Comment

I just want to be strong and fit, I don't care about aesthetics, I have no desire to look big with out having relative strength. I want to be strong and have a healthy amount of body fat, I would like to bench 275x1, Squat 315x1, Dead 365, and OHP 185x1, If I hit those numbers I would feel strong, while still being in good condition. I was very primal this summer and got lean, but I wanted to get bigger and stronger so I upped my calories, and I feel off the primal wagon and gained some fat, I just feel like I can't get stronger or bigger if I don't shoved 3,500 calories down my throat a day, and when I'm on primal diet, it's hard, I'm just not that hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman View Post
                            I just want to be strong and fit, I don't care about aesthetics, I have no desire to look big with out having relative strength. I want to be strong and have a healthy amount of body fat, I would like to bench 275x1, Squat 315x1, Dead 365, and OHP 185x1, If I hit those numbers I would feel strong, while still being in good condition. I was very primal this summer and got lean, but I wanted to get bigger and stronger so I upped my calories, and I feel off the primal wagon and gained some fat, I just feel like I can't get stronger or bigger if I don't shoved 3,500 calories down my throat a day, and when I'm on primal diet, it's hard, I'm just not that hungry.
                            In that case I'd certainly continue with the basic lifts and aim to add weight as often as you can. Supplement this with some high intensity conditioning stuff from time to time. I also cycle in more bodyweight focused weeks from time to time. And I put in the assistance exercises that I know help me with some of the sticking points in the main lifts.

It's good not giving a shit about aesthetics - makes it easier to focus on performance and feeling good.
                            Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Why not use the Primal Blueprint measures for fitness?
                              I don't have them here, but it was something like: 20 pullups, 1 mile swim, 2 mile run. Anyone else know what they are--they were in the front of the PBF Free Fitness e-book.

Comment

Working...
                              X