Exercise slows your metabolism - wtf?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise slows your metabolism - wtf?

I just had a talk with a Paleo doctor, and he told me that he recently read of a study with overweight people who were put on an exercise regime, and their metabolism slowed down. The conclusion of the study was that exercise can slow your metabolism. WTF??? How can that make sense? Surely the type of exercise is relevant?

Then I found this article, which says that no exercise increases your metabolism - Exercise not likely to rev up your metabolism - Health - Fitness - Smart Fitness - NBCNews.com

Anyone got any thoughts?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

It all sounds stupid to me, just squat heavy

Comment

90% of your metabolism is AUTONOMIC

10% is voluntary.

interestingly no matter what you do, the ratio remains stable.
      Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
      Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
      Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

If you read Gary Taubes book he says exercise is really good for you BUT it does not help obese people lose weight.
        I think it has been proven that exercise just makes overweight people eat more food. It made sense when I read it. In fact as he says they used to make obese folk have bed rest in the 30's to lose weight. I am sure he said There is no study that shows exercise helps the overweight lose weighty
        It's funny how everything you think you know can get turned on its head.

Comment

I dunno. They exercise those biggest Loser folks half to death, and they drop incredible amounts of weight.
          Janeen

Comment

People are stupid.
            In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by janeen View Post
              I dunno. They exercise those biggest Loser folks half to death, and they drop incredible amounts of weight.
              Right - but they are on incredible calorie restrictions - and basically moving from morning to night, doing little else.

Given how large most of them are, though, it is likely that most of the loss comes from the incredible amount of calorie restriction.

And, of course, many of them gain significant amounts of it back within a few years. Some don't, but many do.

After all, you can have a DVD of Bob or Jillian or Dolvett - but that's not the same as living on the Ranch!

Comment

That's why you do sprints, tabatas, or other HIIT. Research that's come out since that study in 2009 shows that interval training is different from regular cardio.

ACSM | ACSM in the News
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

If one thinks about it, exercise(depending on the intensity) can fatigue muscles/deplete fat/glycogen stores and other resources. Though it may not be a conscious thing, people who tire themselves out exercising may expend less energy during the rest of the day when not exercising, or skip other activities because they're "too tired". The extent to which this occurs is probably dependent on the type, duration, and intensity of exercise. It's sort of the NEAT(non-exercise activity thermogenesis) theory taken in reverse - but it's the same idea.

Note: the above does not account for muscle mass - activities that increase muscle mass should produce an increase in overall metabolic rate, independent of the above

Comment

If muscle is the most metabolically active component in our bodies, followed by organs and bones, followed by fat, then I think it would matter as to what type of exercise you do. If you increase your muscle mass, it stands to reason that you'll bump your metabolism a little. If the exercise you do only decreases fat, it won't affect your metabolism much because the fat wasn't very metabolically active to begin with.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Steady state cardio can reduce muscle mass....considering the obese may tend toward this type of exercise this may be one reason they were finding that the obese lowered metabolism. If you want to make a good investment buy The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living/Performance two books or just the second one will work. Living is just less focused on Performance not as narrow of a focus. You should also read Body By Science. It details the ins and outs of high intensity interval training and high intensity weight lifting both of which are completely superior to steady state cardio for everything including cardiovascular health.

They even go into epi-genetics....such an awesome book.

Jimmy Moore

Check out this thread and the comments. You have two older people talking about amazing stuff being keto adapted.

Jimmy Moore

Jimmy Moore

Some great stuff.
                      Height: 6'1"
                      Primal start date: July 1st 2011
                      Start Weight: 275
                      Current Weight: 248
                      Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
                      Body Fat 25.4%
                      Fat Mass 63.721
                      Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                      Fat Free Mass 187.087
                      Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
                      Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

Thanks for the links.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiken3712 View Post
                          Steady state cardio can reduce muscle mass....considering the obese may tend toward this type of exercise this may be one reason they were finding that the obese lowered metabolism. If you want to make a good investment buy The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living/Performance two books or just the second one will work. Living is just less focused on Performance not as narrow of a focus. You should also read Body By Science. It details the ins and outs of high intensity interval training and high intensity weight lifting both of which are completely superior to steady state cardio for everything including cardiovascular health.

They even go into epi-genetics....such an awesome book.

Jimmy Moore

Check out this thread and the comments. You have two older people talking about amazing stuff being keto adapted.

Jimmy Moore

Jimmy Moore

Some great stuff.
                          This may sound weird. When I was on my lap top I saw a horizontal line and you posted personal stats from a bodpod. Yet as you can see, logged in on this computer it isn't there.

Did you post your free fat mass was 187.087?
                          Last edited by Vick; 08-19-2012, 05:36 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Its part of my sig...the numbers were from a Bod Pod body composition done in September 2011.

Body Fat 25.4%
                            Fat Mass 63.721
                            Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                            Fat Free Mass 187.087

187.087+63.721 = 250 pounds Is something weird about that? Fat free mass is muscle, bone, connective tissue and such as well.

I have no clue about current numbers I want to get another BodPod or a DEXA scan at some point. Wish I could get it for free, but BodPod is 45 mins away..not sure I want the hassle. DEXA is available closer but I've heard its 75-200 dollars. I have no insurance.
                            Last edited by Raiken3712; 08-19-2012, 09:10 PM.
                            Height: 6'1"
                            Primal start date: July 1st 2011
                            Start Weight: 275
                            Current Weight: 248
                            Body Fat 25.4%
                            Fat Mass 63.721
                            Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                            Fat Free Mass 187.087
                            Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
                            Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

I have used a bodpod also. They are quite accurate.

With a fat free mass of 187 lbs, then a goal of 207 to 220 lbs. would put you in a very healthy 10 to 15% body fat range.

Great job

Comment

Working...
                              X